Cure lineups

Chickpea

pithy yet degenerate
Which Cure lineup was/is the best? Discuss.

For reference:

b9a8b846eed4ec186e2285d1dbf43806.png

I'm going with 1989, even if Tolhurst was dead weight by that point. As far as I'm concerned, THIS is the definitive Cure:

thumbnail_8_366.jpg

Other than Disintegration and Bloodflowers, I never really enjoyed Cure albums. However, I've never heard a bad concert by them. Amazing live. Very similar to Morrissey for me in that the live experience is head and shoulders above the albums.

Other than Disintegration and Bloodflowers, I never really enjoyed Cure albums. However, I've never heard a bad concert by them. Amazing live. Very similar to Morrissey for me in that the live experience is head and shoulders above the albums.

I love everything up to and including Wish, but since then…well, there's always a song or two I enjoy, but I never put the albums on. I couldn't even get into Bloodflowers. I don't think they're bad albums, they're just not for me.

But yeah, live Cure? Nothing else like it! I don't think they're capable of performing poorly, especially these days. Everyone on that stage is totally committed to putting everything they have into the show. They're good people, too.

1993 - Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. No ties, who should have won?

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
The B-52s – Good Stuff
The Cure – Wish
Morrissey – Your Arsenal
XTC – Nonsuch

1993 - Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. No ties, who should have won?

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
The B-52s – Good Stuff
The Cure – Wish
Morrissey – Your Arsenal
XTC – Nonsuch

I think Tom Waits' win was well-deserved, but I'd have given it to Morrissey. If it were Disintegration instead of Wish, I'd have given it to the Cure.

At at least it didn't go to the B-52s. They had their moment, but Good Stuff was not it.

I dig the XTC album but it’s far from their best work. Of that list (full disclosure: never listened to the Tom Waits album or B-52’s) Moz definitely is the best.

I think “Wish” is actually pretty underrated, though.

My favorite Cure album is “Disintegration” (yeah, I know..me and a million other people...)

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
The B-52s – Good Stuff
The Cure – Wish
Morrissey – Your Arsenal
XTC – Nonsuch

I love the older Tom Waits and they probably gave it to him more for that than anything. I disliked Bone Machine, and everything since, intensely. Moz should have won easily.

I'm going with 1989, even if Tolhurst was dead weight by that point. As far as I'm concerned, THIS is the definitive Cure:

I agree, but we can take that back to 1987. The Just Like Heaven video is so f***ing delicious. They strike such powerful silhouettes in that clip. The look like languid ghouls. Robert's hair is magnificent! Geezus they all look so f***ing cool. Simon will always be the vagabond, dude pirate as far as I'm concerned.

theCureJustLikeHeaven.jpg

I agree, but we can take that back to 1987. The Just Like Heaven video is so f***ing delicious. They strike such powerful silhouettes in that clip. The look like languid ghouls. Robert's hair is magnificent! Geezus they all look so f***ing cool. Simon will always be the vagabond, dude pirate as far as I'm concerned.

YES—and the entrance of Roger O'Donnell. I really love this era. Have you seen this? It's mesmerizing. I love Tim Pope.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES—and the entrance of Roger O'Donnell. I really love this era. Have you seen this? It's mesmerizing. I love Tim Pope.

I added it to my playlist a while ago but never got around to it. I will watch it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom