Cure interview in Irish Times mentions Moz

Imagine thinking Morrissey isn't right about everything.
Neoconservative-sympathizers would rather prop up a plump, mute nostalgia-puppet (Robert Smith) with as many passionate opinions as classic LPs (read: 0) and a mercurial, perennial Insecurity (Johnny Marr) rather than reckon with Moz's statements on their own.
Boomers who were left-leaning in the 80s just for the girls are the ones exposing themselves; not Morrissey. History vindicates Genius, not fluctuating fame or likability. I think we know who has what in the Smith vs Smiths equation.
It's funny, because The Cure picked up a Godlike Genius Award, same with Jarvis Cocker, New Order, John Peel, Blondie, Johnny Marr... But no Morrissey. I wonder why that is?

It's funny, because The Cure picked up a Godlike Genius Award, same with Jarvis Cocker, New Order, John Peel, Blondie, Johnny Marr... But no Morrissey. I wonder why that is?
If anything this adds credence to their uselessness.
An NME award? How out of touch are you?
The real Godlike Genius Award is lodged in Moz's brain.

one of them (It Could Never Be the Same) is their best one since at least Jupiter Crash from 1996.

"Jupiter Crash", what the song with the lyrics that rhyme with "splash". :):):) What a feeble tune ! and crappy shallow lyrics

No Siouxsie either, normal; the NME have been boycotting and omitting that the Banshees have influenced a lot of their nme darlings.
But both Morrissey and Siouxsie are beyond trophies anyway.

Imagine thinking Morrissey isn't right about everything.
Neoconservative-sympathizers would rather prop up a plump, mute nostalgia-puppet (Robert Smith) with as many passionate opinions as classic LPs (read: 0) and a mercurial, perennial Insecurity (Johnny Marr) rather than reckon with Moz's statements on their own.
Boomers who were left-leaning in the 80s just for the girls are the ones exposing themselves; not Morrissey. History vindicates Genius, not fluctuating fame or likability. I think we know who has what in the Smith vs Smiths equation.

Mate, you sound like you're in a cult. You seem genuinely delusional.

"Jupiter Crash", what the song with the lyrics that rhyme with "splash". :):):) What a feeble tune ! and crappy shallow lyrics
On the contrary, it’s a gorgeous atmospheric tune with touching lyrics about a beautiful yet fleeting moment.

I’ve never had any problems with being a fan of both Moz and the Cure. And it’s not like they’re playing the same kind of music. They fulfill different needs!

But to call The Cure irrelevant is just foolish. A huge amount of contemporary and/or young post punk/dream pop bands are heavily influenced by them. And they recently brought the house down at The Meltdown Festival and tomorrow they’re playing to something like 80k people at Hyde Park.

And while it is true they haven’t released an album in ten years, they have been playing a couple of new songs at recent shows, and one of them (It Could Never Be the Same) is their best one since at least Jupiter Crash from 1996. The other one (Step Into The Light) also shows a lot of promise.

Yes, The Cure sold out 3 nights at the Hollywood Bowl in 2016 and now they're playing to 80K fans in Hyde Park - hardly irrelevant. Ironically this is on the heels of Morrissey having to cancel his UK tour (allegedly) for low ticket sales.

Yes, The Cure sold out 3 nights at the Hollywood Bowl in 2016 and now they're playing to 80K fans in Hyde Park - hardly irrelevant. Ironically this is on the heels of Morrissey having to cancel his UK tour (allegedly) for low ticket sales.
Haven’t The Cure always played to more people than Moz? Not that it really matters.

No Siouxsie either, normal; the NME have been boycotting and omitting that the Banshees have influenced a lot of their nme darlings.
But both Morrissey and Siouxsie are beyond trophies anyway.
Yet Moz would cream himself if he got one and get tennis elbow from patting himself on the back. It is a shame that Siouxsie doesn't get far more credit than she does though.

If anything this adds credence to their uselessness.
An NME award? How out of touch are you?
The real Godlike Genius Award is lodged in Moz's brain.
It's lodged somewhere alright. I wonder why he chose to put his genius there? Seems odd to me but it takes all kinds.

Morrissey claims he was offered and turned down the Godlike Genius Award (could they have found a more pretentious title?). From 2007:

The NME have, in the past, offered me their “Godlike Genius Award” and I had politely refused....My own view is that award ceremonies in pop music are dreadful to witness and are simply a way of the industry warning the artist “see how much you need us”

https://www.stereogum.com/7367/morrissey_i_apologise_for_speaking_to_nme/wheres-the-beef/

Morrissey claims he was offered and turned down the Godlike Genius Award (could they have found a more pretentious title?). From 2007:

The NME have, in the past, offered me their “Godlike Genius Award” and I had politely refused....My own view is that award ceremonies in pop music are dreadful to witness and are simply a way of the industry warning the artist “see how much you need us”

https://www.stereogum.com/7367/morrissey_i_apologise_for_speaking_to_nme/wheres-the-beef/

Yet, he has accepted a Q Award and an Ivor Novello in the past, although these are more prestigious than an NME award.

It's lodged somewhere alright. I wonder why he chose to put his genius there? Seems odd to me but it takes all kinds.
I imagine he's got plenty of room in a few places.

Haven’t The Cure always played to more people than Moz? Not that it really matters.

source.gif

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.

I saw The Cure on their last tour through Charlotte, NC. They played 35 songs. They played for 3 hours. You are incorrect regarding the greatest hits comment. Yes, they play their popular songs. Like Morrissey, they have about 40-50 songs (not including The Smiths’ songs) that M solo fans would love to hear....In fact, they neatly cobble them together by album sequence in 5 three or four song encores. However, they have had outstanding albums during the past 25 years including 4:13 Dream and Bloodflowers. I’ve seen Morrissey 20 times. Every show has been a landmark and enjoyable event. However, he has played anywhere from 12-19 songs at each show, and he has been off the stage within 55-65 minutes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom