Cure interview in Irish Times mentions Moz

I get the feeling that the big difference between Smith and Morrissey, is that Smith himself, is happy, and plays because he still enjoys it and knows that others do as well. Morrissey plays with all the enthusiasm of a stubborn child being forced to take a spoonful of cod liver oil and many nights it shows. He's the only non-punk/industrial musician I can think of that conveys visual contempt throughout the majority of his sets.

You clearly have not witnessed Andrew Eldritch on stage over the last 25 years or so.

It was always going to happen right
That Cure fans would pop up all over Solo. I suspect Moz fans loved that band but denied it just like people denied how much they loved the style and fashion of the skinheads.
Moz fans have secretly been playing The Cure and lived a life in denial.

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.

Actually two of the Hollywood Bowl shows were deep track city and long as f*** jam sessions.

You clearly have not witnessed Andrew Eldritch on stage over the last 25 years or so.
Funny story- when the Sisters first came back, I bought a ticket to see them at the Crystal ballroom in Portland. I was overcome by a wave of something while in line, where I knew I didn't want to see whatever they'd become. So I told my friends I'd catch up with them after the show, sold my ticket to someone wanting to get in, and went out to the bar. When I met up with my friends afterward, they all said it was the worst thing they'd ever seen and that I made the right choice.

Yes, that would be amazing, or something like a Viva Hate 30th anniversary or V&I 25th anniversary tour.
Other artists do it all the time, but I can’t see Moz ever doing.
I honestly think if he were to run with the classical/orchestra type of show that he could possibly sell it even now. He could cherry pick what he wanted for the set, but present it with new depth and dimension.

He can sing anymore with the same top notch precision that he used to do. His diction is now lazy and there is often a delay on certain words. And his voice is now reduced to a thin wail.

Reeve Gabriels is on lead guitar ( a vision of prog rock musician, what a sight. Reeves is unable to fit in with the band. Look at his atrocious guitar solo in the song From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea from their Meltdown show.

This is a slack band, they used to be precise, and now they are on autopilot.
Even Roger Waters and Paul McCartney, who are both the elders of Smith, deliver shows with far more conviction.

He can sing anymore with the same top notch precision that he used to do. His diction is now lazy and there is often a delay on certain words. And his voice is now reduced to a thin wail.

Reeve Gabriels is on lead guitar ( a vision of prog rock musician, what a sight. Reeves is unable to fit in with the band. Look at his atrocious guitar solo in the song From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea from their Meltdown show.

This is a slack band, they used to be precise, and now they are on autopilot.
Even Roger Waters and Paul McCartney, who are both the elders of Smith, deliver shows with far more conviction.
His voice has always been a thin wail. He himself has not been a thin whale, but a rather chubby one. Still, they check a lot of boxes for me musically, and I don't need to be able to eye-f*** musicians to enjoy them.

It was always going to happen right
That Cure fans would pop up all over Solo. I suspect Moz fans loved that band but denied it just like people denied how much they loved the style and fashion of the skinheads.
Moz fans have secretly been playing The Cure and lived a life in denial.

Don't think I've ever denied I liked the Cure. Why would anyone do that? They have written and recorded some amazing songs.

I honestly think if he were to run with the classical/orchestra type of show that he could possibly sell it even now. He could cherry pick what he wanted for the set, but present it with new depth and dimension.

Let's add that to the rather large list of "wouldn't it be amazing if Morrissey were to...".

Imagine thinking Morrissey isn't right about everything.
Neoconservative-sympathizers would rather prop up a plump, mute nostalgia-puppet (Robert Smith) with as many passionate opinions as classic LPs (read: 0) and a mercurial, perennial Insecurity (Johnny Marr) rather than reckon with Moz's statements on their own.
Boomers who were left-leaning in the 80s just for the girls are the ones exposing themselves; not Morrissey. History vindicates Genius, not fluctuating fame or likability. I think we know who has what in the Smith vs Smiths equation.

I’ve never had any problems with being a fan of both Moz and the Cure. And it’s not like they’re playing the same kind of music. They fulfill different needs!

But to call The Cure irrelevant is just foolish. A huge amount of contemporary and/or young post punk/dream pop bands are heavily influenced by them. And they recently brought the house down at The Meltdown Festival and tomorrow they’re playing to something like 80k people at Hyde Park.

And while it is true they haven’t released an album in ten years, they have been playing a couple of new songs at recent shows, and one of them (It Could Never Be the Same) is their best one since at least Jupiter Crash from 1996. The other one (Step Into The Light) also shows a lot of promise.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom