Cure interview in Irish Times mentions Moz

Haha exactly the opposite! Moz thrives on stage, playing exactly what he wants much to the chagrin of (some of) the audience. Cure play only what the audience want to hear thus admitting that their last couple of albums are indeed pretty dire.
That they play in front of 80,000 people is hardly a sign of them
being relevant but more of them still craving the cash, like The Rolling Stones and other mega-bands.
Nothing wrong with that ofcourse!
I doubt if Robert Smith needs more money than he already has, or craves it. He was dismayed at the popularity of the 'Wish' album and always felt conflicted when their albums sold well. I think you're shortchanging Robert there with your comments (sorry for the pun!).

imagine wakening up next to Robert smith in the morning,f*** me it would be like Halloween.i used to really like the cure in early days but that was a long time ago.
I still think they could surprise us all and release another great album. I have to admit I was disappointed with Wild Mood Swings in 1996 and with every Cure album since then, although I enjoyed parts of Bloodflowers. But I can't fault most of the albums up to and including 'Wish' in 1992. I think they lost a lot of the magic when Boris Williams and Porl (now Pearl) Thompson left after the Wish tour.

That's funny, because any time I've seen them, they play a decent selection of hits, but then they just get weird with it and play deeper cuts for at least 50% of the set. Morrissey should take a page from their book regarding splitting the difference between playing deep cuts and crowd favorites.

I know it's crazy but I think Robert Smith actually wants his fans to enjoy the show. On the last tour, they played 2 Late one of my favorite B-Sides from the Disintegration-era.

I know it's crazy but I think Robert Smith actually wants his fans to enjoy the show. On the last tour, they played 2 Late one of my favorite B-Sides from the Disintegration-era.
Man that is an ace b-side! I always wished they had included it on the Disintegration album, but maybe it would have changed the mood of the album, so I guess maybe they had good reasons not to. Today 'Join The Dots arrived and it really is a lovely package, and obviously it included '2 Late'. In the liner notes Robert says he always loved bands who put as much effort into b-sides as a-sides, and he was adamant that The Cure also do that, which indeed they did for most of their career. '2 Late' and 'The Exploding Boy' are probably my favourite Cure b-sides, and 'This Twilight Garden' from the High 12".

Whenever I saw a Moz single with live tracks as b-sides I always thought he was being a bit lazy.

I've been buying Cure vinyl lately and 'Disintegration'/'Entreat Plus' sound amazing on vinyl. Same for the 'Faith' album.

Sadly I haven't see The Cure live since the tour in 2002 when I was living in Sydney for a few years. I went to them two night in a row. First night I was at the back, second night I was up front, and of course the second night was amazing. Of all The Cure gigs I've been to I have to say The Prayer Tour, Dublin '89 was the best. I was just the right age and to me they were at their peak with the perfect line-up.

I still think they could surprise us all and release another great album. I have to admit I was disappointed with Wild Mood Swings in 1996 and with every Cure album since then, although I enjoyed parts of Bloodflowers. But I can't fault most of the albums up to and including 'Wish' in 1992. I think they lost a lot of the magic when Boris Williams and Porl (now Pearl) Thompson left after the Wish tour.
I would like to hear what Reeves Gabrels could bring to the studio. On stage, he's the best guitarist they've ever had. Pearl was integral to their sound, but way too into hiding behind too much wah-wah pedal, especially live. Their drummer though, he's the Jesse Tobias of the lot. He's ok, but not quite good enough to rate alongside the guy he replaced.

imagine wakening up next to Robert smith in the morning,f*** me it would be like Halloween.i used to really like the cure in early days but that was a long time ago.
I'd be the spider swallowing him whole.

From what I remember the "feud" was essentially Morrissey trashing The Cure's music. I don't recall Robert having a lot to say back.

Last edited:
Man that is an ace b-side! I always wished they had included it on the Disintegration album, but maybe it would have changed the mood of the album, so I guess maybe they had good reasons not to. Today 'Join The Dots arrived and it really is a lovely package, and obviously it included '2 Late'. In the liner notes Robert says he always loved bands who put as much effort into b-sides as a-sides, and he was adamant that The Cure also do that, which indeed they did for most of their career. '2 Late' and 'The Exploding Boy' are probably my favourite Cure b-sides, and 'This Twilight Garden' from the High 12".

Whenever I saw a Moz single with live tracks as b-sides I always thought he was being a bit lazy.

I've been buying Cure vinyl lately and 'Disintegration'/'Entreat Plus' sound amazing on vinyl. Same for the 'Faith' album.

Sadly I haven't see The Cure live since the tour in 2002 when I was living in Sydney for a few years. I went to them two night in a row. First night I was at the back, second night I was up front, and of course the second night was amazing. Of all The Cure gigs I've been to I have to say The Prayer Tour, Dublin '89 was the best. I was just the right age and to me they were at their peak with the perfect line-up.

If I recall correctly they didn't play 2 Late on the Disintegration tour, did they?

Those are all great B-Sides - I would also add "A Few Hours After This." Back in 89/90 when I traded most of my vinyl for CDs, I kept all Cure, Smiths, Morrissey and a few others. So glad I did. Let's hope they'll do a tour featuring Distengration for the 30th anniversary next year. Wow, I feel old now.

Last edited:
2Late certainly one of my fave Cure b-sides, very Smiths/Moz like to me.
Chain of Flowers and A Few Hours After This are other great b-sides.

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
On average, The Cure is between 2h30 and 3h00 concerts with between 30 and 40 songs (sometimes more).
And for morriSSey?
We could also talk about the number of canceled concerts?

And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.
And?
At least one does'nt have to undergo the thoughts and other ideals of morriSSey.
I'll end up believing it's a competition between Bono and morriSSey

Haha exactly the opposite! Moz thrives on stage, playing exactly what he wants much to the chagrin of (some of) the audience. Cure play only what the audience want to hear thus admitting that their last couple of albums are indeed pretty dire.
This is not because morriSSey plays songs from his latest albums in concerts, that means that his albums or his songs are good ....

That they play in front of 80,000 people is hardly a sign of them being relevant but more of them still craving the cash, like The Rolling Stones and other mega-bands.
Nothing wrong with that ofcourse!
This is because morriSSey is not able to play in front of 80,000 people. He is already struggling to fill rooms with more than 5,000 seats.
By the way, from Southpaw Grammar in 1997 to You Are the Quarry in 2004, how many concerts did morrisey gave? ....... 182! .... 182 concerts without albums to promote ......

I never understood either why Morrissey was so cruel when criticising people that he didn't like. Then he moans and moans when someone talks badly about him. Well, Morrissey, if you want people to talk nicely about you... 'You just haven't earned it yet baby!' Or as they say 'spit in the sky it falls in your eye'.

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.

Morrissey released yet another pointless compilation today. Talk about thriving on nostalgia.

I was talking about the live-shows, but I’m sure you’d gathered as much.
As I said I would love Moz to play a live show of only 1983-1994 songs, but he respects his recent output too much to do so, in that sense he refuses to thrive on nostalgia.
But each to their own, I love both artists.

I was talking about the live-shows, but I’m sure you’d gathered as much.
As I said I would love Moz to play a live show of only 1983-1994 songs, but he respects his recent output too much to do so, in that sense he refuses to thrive on nostalgia.
But each to their own, I love both artists.

Agreed on the live shows, but both the Cure and Morrissey do rely heavily on nostalgia to sell out their concerts, the Cure probably more successfully than Morrissey in recent years.

I'd love Morrissey to play a proper "Greatest Hits" tour, not like the one in 2008. Just songs from the golden era of 1988-1994, with a few Smiths classics slotted in.

Yes, that would be amazing, or something like a Viva Hate 30th anniversary or V&I 25th anniversary tour.
Other artists do it all the time, but I can’t see Moz ever doing.

To call The Cure irrelevant is one of the funniest things I've ever had to read on this forum, and I've read quite a few surrealistic thing here...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom