Critique this Smiths mix I made for my friend

oh by the way i like the tracks you have picked but i would hav 2 have william it was really nothing on there

I'd start with 'Panic'. If that doesn't have them hooked, then nothing will.
1,5 years ago I didn't know The Smiths, one evening I downloaded Panic and This Charming Man; I liked only the latter.

I made an attempt to get my former best friend into The Smiths. He's the kind of person that doesn't listen to songs entirely, he heard a bit of these songs. Obviously I failed, but it's my fault >50%
Work Is A Four Letter Word, first song.
Then, but I don't remember the order: I Don't Owe You Anything (Sandie Shaw), Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.
He told me: "The singer says obvious things", referring to Work Is... and Some Girls. He noticed Frankly, Mr Shankly and thought it was a funny title, but he didn't listen to it.

I also made a DVD and a CD with The Smiths discography, Morrissey's studio albums and some videos of Smiths concerts for a girl I know. She didn't tell me anything. She probably didn't like it.

Last edited:
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Suffer Little Childen
Wonderful Woman
Well I Wonder
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Stretch Out And Wait
Asleep
Unloveable
Never Had No One Ever
I Know It's Over
Half A Person
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
I Won't Share You
Folks can call me whatever they want... snob or whatever... but this mix is definitely the one i would be rockin... - might replace never had no one ever with something like - =these things take time or some girls... but tis near perfect!!!

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Suffer Little Childen
Wonderful Woman---------------> PANIC! :D
Well I Wonder
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Stretch Out And Wait
Asleep
Unloveable----------------------> Reel Arround the Fountain!
Never Had No One Ever
I Know It's Over
Half A Person
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
I Won't Share You

Just to be picky! ;)

I'm looking more for comments on the order, rather the songs themselves.... but I'm open to ideas. ;)

This Charming Man
Still Ill
Girl afraid
Ask
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Cemetry Gates
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Nowhere Fast
What difference does it make?
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Rusholme Ruffians
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

where is sweet and tender hooligan!

I'm looking more for comments on the order, rather the songs themselves.... but I'm open to ideas. ;)

This Charming Man
Still Ill
Girl afraid
Ask
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Cemetry Gates
Nowhere Fast
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Rusholme Ruffians

Too many singles, not enough b-sides or album tracks.
Make them a tape of Half A Personx23. That should do the trick.

Thanks all for your comments.

Firstly, I should have specified, but it's an introductory album for somebody who's only ever heard HSIN.

Therefore, I've deliberately gone for the most catchy/single-type songs & not selected many b-sides/album tracks.

Sounds like many think I should Panic in there.... where exactly? Panic/This Charming Man doesn't really flow at the start eh?

Thanks all for your comments.

Firstly, I should have specified, but it's an introductory album for somebody who's only ever heard HSIN.

Therefore, I've deliberately gone for the most catchy/single-type songs & not selected many b-sides/album tracks.

Sounds like many think I should Panic in there.... where exactly? Panic/This Charming Man doesn't really flow at the start eh?

I assumed that when I made my post above, glad I assumed right (a first for me :rolleyes: ) That's why I suggest Panic to get the ball rolling, I think it's the perfect introduction.

I'd also include 'Is It Really So Strange?', if they have a good (well, a Morrissey) sense of humour then they can't help but be won over by it.

Panic
Girl afraid
Ask
This Charming Man
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Cemetry Gates
Nowhere Fast
Still Ill
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Rusholme Ruffians

Howsat!?

:)

(I like the idea of having Ask follow Girl Afraid....)

With Morrissey still trying to find his vocal instrument and the snare being way out of whack in the mix I would find it hard to recommend any songs from the debut album in hopes of making a new fan. Lyrically the first album can be a lot to handle for people who are not used to music that is not from the mainstream.

I think Still Ill is great on rank but its a really flat, dull song on The Smiths. I've never liked This Charming Man. What Difference Does It Make is an average song with weird falsettos that might confuse a listener.

The rest of the songs are good choices.

Back
Top Bottom