Crashing down on the crossbars - an extra from a Smiths video interviewed

Here's an interesting interview with a Smiths fan (living in New Zealand), who appeared in The Smiths video for Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before:

Crashing down on a crossbar: The New Zealand man in a Smiths video - The Spinoff
By Helen Lehndorf
June 8, 2017

In 1987, at the tail-end of The Smiths' five year lifespan, a call went out to fans: apply now to be featured in the music video with lead singer Morrissey. Among those chosen was Hector Hazard, who talks to Helen Lehndorf about his memories of the day, and shares some never before seen photos of the shoot.

40204_HH_MozandHector-copy-850x510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course everthing has been AmericaniZed and culture is on the edge of extinction and has all the glamour of Donald Chump's wilted wig. However, the cheap facade of American vulture only extends as far as your eye line. Next time you are in a city and want to really see it just look up. The upper stories and roofs have survived the onslaught of neon and garish plastic and can be quite beautiful and remain unchanged despite the fact that it's citizens now say Choozday instead of Tuesday, and start every sentence with the word 'Like'. And think that 'Friends' is the zenith of humOR. As for me, I will stick to watching proper British comedies and listening to British music which has an edge that no other country comes near in terms of quality and longevity and relevance. I'm not British but hats off to them for ace comedies and music. In the interest of fairness I also love crime novels and TV shows from the US. But I don't like how quick people are to cast off their nationality in favOR of Hamericanization.
So you have the holy grail and the recipe to a good life away from all the destruction they are trying to sell you.

I can only congratulate you!

Reckon "American" things like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, the show Friends, and the NBA only make profits outside of America. If it wasn't for anti-Americans, they wouldn't exist.

Of course everthing has been AmericaniZed and culture is on the edge of extinction and has all the glamour of Donald Chump's wilted wig. However, the cheap facade of American vulture only extends as far as your eye line. Next time you are in a city and want to really see it just look up. The upper stories and roofs have survived the onslaught of neon and garish plastic and can be quite beautiful and remain unchanged despite the fact that it's citizens now say Choozday instead of Tuesday, and start every sentence with the word 'Like'. And think that 'Friends' is the zenith of humOR. As for me, I will stick to watching proper British comedies and listening to British music which has an edge that no other country comes near in terms of quality and longevity and relevance. I'm not British but hats off to them for ace comedies and music. In the interest of fairness I also love crime novels and TV shows from the US. But I don't like how quick people are to cast off their nationality in favOR of Hamericanization.

I hate Friends. too and most of my favorite music is British but we're not so isolated anymore. Let's enjoy each others cultures. I agree it's embarrassing when it turns to imitation.
The US has less character even in the last thirty years. Towns used to have more individuality. Every place is the same.

Thanks, everyone (except the person who felt the need to randomly stick a knife in about New Zealanders) - lovely to read your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was great fun talking to Hector and the whole experience was a delight for me. I think his photographs are marvellous too and so am glad to have helped to get them out to a wider audience via The Spinoff. (The Spinoff is fairly widely read in NZ).

I sent the article to the Morrissey Official FB page in the hope the eyes of the man himself might pass over the article....in some ways we are forever our teenage selves on the inside, no?

Thanks, Helen Lehndorf

Great story. The fanzine Smiths Indeed didn't place an ad, the editor Mark Taylor sent out a handful of letters to his readers who lived around Manchester. It was marked FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. You had to send a photo to Rough Trade Records. Presumably Morrissey chose the participants.

Nobody knew Morrissey was going to be in the video until he showed up on "set" and everybody knew The Smiths had split by October '87.

I love the video. Very Morrissey.

Great story, thought it might be a bit dull at first but really enjoyed reading it. Takes me back to the days of record shopping on a Saturday afternoon and waiting to get your photos developed. Simpler times buy maybe happier as well?

HH_moz_grimaching-850x510.jpg

Is this Tim Broad on the background?

No, it's not Mr Broad {RIP}

Hector remembers him as being part of the film crew, but given the hideous two-tone bowl cut í suspect 'tis more likely to be a 1980s Manchester hair stylist, mentioned elsewhere in interview ;)

One of Morrissey Greatest Ever Hair Days.

Thanks, everyone (except the person who felt the need to randomly stick a knife in about New Zealanders) - lovely to read your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was great fun talking to Hector and the whole experience was a delight for me. I think his photographs are marvellous too and so am glad to have helped to get them out to a wider audience via The Spinoff. (The Spinoff is fairly widely read in NZ).

I sent the article to the Morrissey Official FB page in the hope the eyes of the man himself might pass over the article....in some ways we are forever our teenage selves on the inside, no?

Thanks, Helen Lehndorf

ld9q5.gif

Say hello to the Fuhrer, Helen nazi surname!

Funnily enough, I was in the queue for the 89 Wolverhampton gig and the man who supposedly looked more like Morrissey than Morrissey was next to me. I remember him slagging off Viva Hate and behaving like a complete arse. He may be lovely though.

Funnily enough, I was in the queue for the 89 Wolverhampton gig and the man who supposedly looked more like Morrissey than Morrissey was next to me. I remember him slagging off Viva Hate and behaving like a complete arse. He may be lovely though.
Rifke will come accusing you now as she has no idea that people out there really have various experiences from life. I sometimes suspect she might be Mona Lisa stolen and spending her days trapped in a canadian gallery.

Maybe that was the real Moz.
They changed places and nobody noticed.
They could have made arrangements, like a 50/50 percent sharing deal. The real Moz is laughing all the way to the bank.
He would deny it of course and saying he wished it was true. :p

Last edited:
But how did he look? I can't remember that I ever saw a photo of him.

Sharp-shooting in the wilds of Wolverhampton, 22nd of December 1988 ~

34414626434_5597c79cca_o.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom