CRASH Magazine: New Interview with Linder - several Morrissey mentions (April 7, 2023)

There's a great interview with Linder in this French magazine (in English).

Several Morrissey mentions including:

I met Morrissey when he was sixteen, I saw him play in Paris this week and I said, “Do you realize it’s been forty-seven years since we’ve known each other?” We’re just laughing! We were like two old people, forty-seven years of having the same conversations about death and dying.

Anyway, the whole thing is worth reading!

Other excerpts:

And you also worked as a photographer for a while? You took a lot of pictures of Morrissey early on in his career?

Yes, because I went on his world tours, which was crazy. When I was doing graphic design as a young woman in Manchester, I had a camera and my intention was to be a photographer. I wanted to be Diane Arbus and go into weird places and photograph them. But then one night, on my way home from a The Damned concert I was horribly attacked by a man with a knife. And he took my cameras away, I didn’t care – I was bargaining with him! And he was arrested months later. He’d raped about seven different women. So I was really lucky that he did then run off with them rather than raping me with a knife in my throat. So then I felt very superstitious about taking photographs. I didn’t take photographs again for twenty years. I didn’t want to look at a camera, I didn’t want to think about a camera. But then my son was born in 1990 and I remember thinking, “I’m going to get a camera again because I want to photograph my son.” It was like taking that back. Morrissey started his world tours at the same time. My son was barely a year old so I would be rushing to Japan for three days, then Los Angeles for four days. Suddenly in photographing the birth of my son, I also began photographing the rebirth of a post-Smiths Morrissey. I was just taking thousands of photographs and suddenly I really loved the camera. I really loved taking photographs again.

Have you kept all the photographs?

Oh my God yes! That’s actually one of the tasks I have to do is to archive all the Morrissey negatives. Every now and again he asks me to take a look at them and he wants to make some posters. Hopefully one day another book will happen, or an exhibition. It was so intimate because I’m a friend, so I was allowed everywhere all the time because obviously I wouldn’t do anything inappropriate. And it was just a crazy time, it would just be me and Morrissey in this old car trying to get past all the screaming fans. It was a very crazy time, but such a glorious time. But my son was so tiny, and so I was balancing motherhood with documenting my friend’s concert.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear she is still loyal and kind to him when others, well, aren't.
Morrissey Shot is a great book, would love to see more of her photos published

There speaks a true friend
There speaks a friend for life.

I remember the first time I saw her design for the Buzzcocks' Orgasm Addict single. A young male friend of mine had bought it, and I assumed the cover was designed by a man because the image of a naked woman with an iron in place of a head seemed dehumanising in a way that I couldn't imagine a woman wanting to design. All about sex without being sexy is a phrase that comes to mind.

Nice to know he hasn’t isolated or alienated her. Hold on to your friends.

I remember the first time I saw her design for the Buzzcocks' Orgasm Addict single. A young male friend of mine had bought it, and I assumed the cover was designed by a man because the image of a naked woman with an iron in place of a head seemed dehumanising in a way that I couldn't imagine a woman wanting to design. All about sex without being sexy is a phrase that comes to mind.
I find her designs quite perturbing. Not my cup of tea at all.

Why wouldn't she be loyal to Morrissey? They've been friends for decades, she's hardly going to be swayed by some hit pieces in the guardian.

I love Linder. She's so gifted and gave us some of the most beautiful pictures of Morrissey. Another book would be so amazing.

they were obviously very comfortable with each other with the same sense of humour and to travel the world must have been something else.

Amazing woman.

Amazing interview.

And not just because of her friendship with Morrissey, but also for her artistic mindset and knowledge of an important part of the English music scene happening back in the 70's & 80's.

I loved it.

As it’s an opportunity to say thank you: I once met her at a Fall gig, in the 90s, and she was very pleasant and had remarkable patience with someone approaching her on the basis of being a fan of someone else. Especially as she had to endure the awkward failing pen scenario, when I tried to get her autograph.

The pair have been mutually blessed, by their paths crossing, I feel.

I’ll be in Paris before May 6, so I will definitely try to see this exhibit.
It will be my first time seeing her work in a gallery.
Thanks for sharing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom