CRASH Magazine: New Interview with Linder - several Morrissey mentions (April 7, 2023)

There's a great interview with Linder in this French magazine (in English).

Several Morrissey mentions including:

I met Morrissey when he was sixteen, I saw him play in Paris this week and I said, “Do you realize it’s been forty-seven years since we’ve known each other?” We’re just laughing! We were like two old people, forty-seven years of having the same conversations about death and dying.

Anyway, the whole thing is worth reading!

Other excerpts:

And you also worked as a photographer for a while? You took a lot of pictures of Morrissey early on in his career?

Yes, because I went on his world tours, which was crazy. When I was doing graphic design as a young woman in Manchester, I had a camera and my intention was to be a photographer. I wanted to be Diane Arbus and go into weird places and photograph them. But then one night, on my way home from a The Damned concert I was horribly attacked by a man with a knife. And he took my cameras away, I didn’t care – I was bargaining with him! And he was arrested months later. He’d raped about seven different women. So I was really lucky that he did then run off with them rather than raping me with a knife in my throat. So then I felt very superstitious about taking photographs. I didn’t take photographs again for twenty years. I didn’t want to look at a camera, I didn’t want to think about a camera. But then my son was born in 1990 and I remember thinking, “I’m going to get a camera again because I want to photograph my son.” It was like taking that back. Morrissey started his world tours at the same time. My son was barely a year old so I would be rushing to Japan for three days, then Los Angeles for four days. Suddenly in photographing the birth of my son, I also began photographing the rebirth of a post-Smiths Morrissey. I was just taking thousands of photographs and suddenly I really loved the camera. I really loved taking photographs again.

Have you kept all the photographs?

Oh my God yes! That’s actually one of the tasks I have to do is to archive all the Morrissey negatives. Every now and again he asks me to take a look at them and he wants to make some posters. Hopefully one day another book will happen, or an exhibition. It was so intimate because I’m a friend, so I was allowed everywhere all the time because obviously I wouldn’t do anything inappropriate. And it was just a crazy time, it would just be me and Morrissey in this old car trying to get past all the screaming fans. It was a very crazy time, but such a glorious time. But my son was so tiny, and so I was balancing motherhood with documenting my friend’s concert.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a great interview with Linder in this French magazine (in English).

Several Morrissey mentions including:

I met Morrissey when he was sixteen, I saw him play in Paris this week and I said, “Do you realize it’s been forty-seven years since we’ve known each other?” We’re just laughing! We were like two old people, forty-seven years of having the same conversations about death and dying.

Anyway, the whole thing is worth reading!

Other excerpts:

And you also worked as a photographer for a while? You took a lot of pictures of Morrissey early on in his career?

Yes, because I went on his world tours, which was crazy. When I was doing graphic design as a young woman in Manchester, I had a camera and my intention was to be a photographer. I wanted to be Diane Arbus and go into weird places and photograph them. But then one night, on my way home from a The Damned concert I was horribly attacked by a man with a knife. And he took my cameras away, I didn’t care – I was bargaining with him! And he was arrested months later. He’d raped about seven different women. So I was really lucky that he did then run off with them rather than raping me with a knife in my throat. So then I felt very superstitious about taking photographs. I didn’t take photographs again for twenty years. I didn’t want to look at a camera, I didn’t want to think about a camera. But then my son was born in 1990 and I remember thinking, “I’m going to get a camera again because I want to photograph my son.” It was like taking that back. Morrissey started his world tours at the same time. My son was barely a year old so I would be rushing to Japan for three days, then Los Angeles for four days. Suddenly in photographing the birth of my son, I also began photographing the rebirth of a post-Smiths Morrissey. I was just taking thousands of photographs and suddenly I really loved the camera. I really loved taking photographs again.

Have you kept all the photographs?

Oh my God yes! That’s actually one of the tasks I have to do is to archive all the Morrissey negatives. Every now and again he asks me to take a look at them and he wants to make some posters. Hopefully one day another book will happen, or an exhibition. It was so intimate because I’m a friend, so I was allowed everywhere all the time because obviously I wouldn’t do anything inappropriate. And it was just a crazy time, it would just be me and Morrissey in this old car trying to get past all the screaming fans. It was a very crazy time, but such a glorious time. But my son was so tiny, and so I was balancing motherhood with documenting my friend’s concert.

full
I think she is the best influence he has ever fecking had . Hands the feck down .
She is also one of the few people who would have a career even if M wasn't about .

I don't think Boz would have had much of a career without M.
Sam would be nowhere without M. He still is nowhere even with M's money and fame and riding the coattails for over 10 years now .
Dodwell would be even less known without riding the M clout train
Same with James Maker . His first band only got signed due to M. The only reason James gets to make music full stop is M feels sorry for the fecker and asks people to do it . The only reason his autobiography sold was due to the M mentions. James is the ultimate hanger on, sponging off M like nobodies business. M doesn't hang with James but he's a good fecking friend and does what he can to stop James topping himself

Linder is another story She is clever, boundless and very fecking sharp. She does her own thing . She tells M what he needs to hear not what he wants to hear.
She refuses to simply be M's friend to the outside world .
You will not see her talking and adding loads of people with Moz or Morrissey in their social media names, like Dodwell, Sam and James Maker . She is too Sharpe for that .
This is why James is jealous to feck of her- he actually goes around emailing folk and leaving comments on Facebook about how she wasn't Ms friend during the Smiths but he was .
Linder knows what James is like , she ignores him .
I always wonder what she must think of Sam and Dodwell Lol 😂😂😆😂

Linder should write a book about Englishness and art with M
Even if it's just then asking each other questions. Linder is a star

I think she is the best influence he has ever fecking had . Hands the feck down .
She is also one of the few people who would have a career even if M wasn't about .

Sam would be nowhere without M. He still is nowhere even with M's money and fame and riding the coattails for over 10 years now .
Same with James Maker . His first band only got signed due to M. The only reason James gets to make music full stop is M feels sorry for the fecker and asks people to do it . The only reason his autobiography sold was due to the M mentions. James is the ultimate hanger on, sponging off M like nobodies business. M doesn't hang with James but he's a good fecking friend and does what he can to stop James topping himself

Linder is another story She is clever, boundless and very fecking sharp. She does her own thing . She tells M what he needs to hear not what he wants to hear.
You will not see her talking and adding loads of people with Moz or Morrissey in their social media names, like Dodwell, Sam and James Maker . She is too Sharpe for that .
This is why James is jealous to feck of her- he actually goes around emailing folk and leaving comments on Facebook about how she wasn't Ms friend during the Smiths but he was .

Feck, yeah.

Jake launched a successful photography career from the Moz connection, the others not so much. I guess Boz has the Polecats?

I thought it was quite funny that James wrote a pop memoir when he never made it as a pop star, but he is quite an entertaining writer. He could have been bitter about The Smiths but from what I've read, he was really positive. He sounded like a fan, really. Funny how Moz hates being used for 'clickbait' yet some of his friends have made a career out of doing just that.

I remember reading that Moz and Linder weren't in contact during the Smiths years, that's true, but no mention of any bad feeling. She moved to London before he did to focus on her art, he was wrapped up in the Smiths, they just had other stuff going on. When the Smiths split, she came to sew him back together again and that's what a good friend does, they don't have to be surgically attached all the time.

Jake launched a successful photography career from the Moz connection, the others not so much. I guess Boz has the Polecats?

I thought it was quite funny that James wrote a pop memoir when he never made it as a pop star, but he is quite an entertaining writer. He could have been bitter about The Smiths but from what I've read, he was really positive. He sounded like a fan, really. Funny how Moz hates being used for 'clickbait' yet some of his friends have made a career out of doing just that.

I remember reading that Moz and Linder weren't in contact during the Smiths years, that's true, but no mention of any bad feeling. She moved to London before he did to focus on her art, he was wrapped up in the Smiths, they just had other stuff going on. When the Smiths split, she came to sew him back together again and that's what a good friend does, they don't have to be surgically attached all the time.
Yes, you are right re Jake and Boz
You know what I mean though .
Linder isn't one of the leaches who only take from M and I think she probably influenced M for the good
Im not sure many people have done that , outside of the Smiths

Jake definitely didn't help M. He has used and abused M the whole way. He even got his his baby momma from the M fans base. Lol
But you are right he started his career on the back of M. jake hasn't been reliant on him for years though . He is loaded .
A friend of mine did building work on his hackney home , it's massive
Jake knows loads of people in London- he sold to most back in the day
I think Jake was a very negative effect on M
The stuff Jake and his mates say about M is gross . Really fecking gross

Boz would have still made music M or no M, but I'm not sure he would have had the kind of career he had without M and I do not think he really helped M that much . Boz seemed there for the ride .

I just think Linder has given M more than she took and that isn't true of the rest, bar Johnny .

She is what is said a friend of Moz, friend with all the.weight that has the word. He must be inside the few real friends of Moz. I saw the movie England is mine, I know that Moz does not like the film, but I wonder how true Linder's character is, there they present her as a kind of Angel impeller and savior of Morrissey's depressive states. They put her as a very important character in Moz's life. Will it be so?

Yes, you are right re Jake and Boz
You know what I mean though .
Linder isn't one of the leaches who only take from M and I think she probably influenced M for the good
Im not sure many people have done that , outside of the Smiths

Jake definitely didn't help M. He has used and abused M the whole way. He even got his his baby momma from the M fans base. Lol
But you are right he started his career on the back of M. jake hasn't been reliant on him for years though . He is loaded .
A friend of mine did building work on his hackney home , it's massive
Jake knows loads of people in London- he sold to most back in the day
I think Jake was a very negative effect on M
The stuff Jake and his mates say about M is gross . Really fecking gross

Boz would have still made music M or no M, but I'm not sure he would have had the kind of career he had without M and I do not think he really helped M that much . Boz seemed there for the ride .

I just think Linder has given M more than she took and that isn't true of the rest, bar Johnny .
Yes, absolutely.
I think people like Kirsty (RIP) and Chrissie have been good friends to him too, they never took the opportunity to 'stir the pot' and were famous in their own right.

Jake... I do think his importance as the first serious bf has been tremendously exaggerated. It was a very short relationship with problems from the beginning (Best Friend on the Payroll, The Operation etc), it really didn't deserve the level of attention that it has had. You can tell from his words there that Morrissey knew he was being used and he was not himself at that time, the boxing and the fake bruises etc were cringeworthy. I always felt uncomfortable when Jake would keep posting those '93/'94 photos of Moz on Twitter so many years later, trying to titillate the fans and hangers-on, making snide little innuendos. The only good thing about Moz being "cancelled" or whatever is that is limits the capacity of people like that to exploit the connection.

Great to catch up on this, especially after reading the latest Grauniad digs.
Linder's involvement with Moz is just so perfect.
Sad to hear of that terrible attack.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom