Cover versions of Moz/Smiths songs that better the original

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2009 (read-only)' started by lutewhine, Mar 18, 2009.

1. lutewhine

lutewhine Junior Member

For me, Dream Academy's instrumental version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. Genuinely makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zimit2im9bn

And not just because of the scene in Ferris Bueller.

Have to say as well that Divine Comedy's cover of There Is A Light - while not up there with the original - is a phenomenal version.

2. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

Really like the Cinerama version of London, possibly more than the original. Seems more ... musical.

Also, who covered Cemetery Gates on The Smiths is Dead? That was a nice take. Wasn't so keen on Divine Comedy's version of TIAL despite liking a lot of their stuff.

Recently, really loved Katie Tunstall's version of 'Everyday'. She's a hugely under-rated singer and brings a lovely warmth to the song.

3. Kewpie

Kewpie Member Moderator Subscriber

I like Marianne Faithfull's Dear God, Please Help Me.

Her unique vocal style emphasizes more dramatic tone.

4. No Place Like Rome

No Place Like Rome Active Member

Kirsty Maccoll's 'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby' and Nancy's 'Let Me Kiss You'.
    That along with the Sandie Shaw stuff.... maybe women record the best cover versions:rock:

5. Jammy Poet

Jammy Poet New Member

Do you know, i've seen Ferris Bueller a dozen times and listened to The Smiths for several years now and only recently discovered that the tune in the gallery scene in Ferris was the same bloody song!...

Ive always liked the piece in the film and often wondered what it was - i just always took it for part of the film score...

Yes, I am blind...

6. sistasheila

sistasheila tjekket

agreed.
    i must say i like when women do smiths/morrissey covers...prefer it to the men who has been covered smiths/morrissey song (and has been in the majority concernign covers)..
    .these lyrics sung from a female voice...:)

no matter if they re a signed artist or just doing it for fun like franissey and that girl http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=91056

instead of some crappy band destroying the song..like this one band totally destroying jack the ripper.dont remember the name theyre kind of goth and emo-ish
    concerning sandie:
    I must dsay i like jeane and I dont owe you anything much more than her hand in glove version..the jeane and IDOYA just fits her voice a zillion time better

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. nugz

nugz SUPAHSTAR!

My Chemical Romance :rolleyes:

although I don't mind AFI's version :o

8. Particle Man

Particle Man Member

I really liked Colin Meloy's take on 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Name'

9. Qvist

Qvist Active Member

I don't think there are any. Mind you, Jeff Buckley's rendering of The boy with a thorn in his side comes close. As much as I loathe the moaner or at least his destructive impact on rock generally.

cheers

10. junkpile

junkpile Junior Member

11. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

Exactly what Mrs Skinny says - ladies' cover versions are always terrific. I think Eddie Reader's Last Night I Dreamt...is spectacular.

Peter

12. Oh my god. it's Robby!

Oh my god. it's Robby! spontaneously luminescent

there is this ukranian band that does some smiths songs in their language
    i think they sound awesome
    no, i cannot remember their name and i am not at home which would make it easy to look up :o

13. VacancyForABackscrubber

VacancyForABackscrubber New Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  14. Morning Star

Morning Star For Eurocommunism!

Billy Bragg's 'Never Had No One Ever', I think, is better than the original version.

Am I the only one that doesn't mind My Chemical Romance's cover of 'Jack the Ripper'? I swear I'm not emo...

15. I'm not a big fan of cover songs in general, but that's especially true when it comes to covers of Moz's songs. Indeed, I recall one instance where found myself gnashing my teeth upon hearing the 10,000 Maniacs's cover of "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Mind you, I love Natalie Merchant and all, but it just seemed so...sacrilegious. Or something.

16. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Slackerbitch

Agreed :thumb:

17. Qvist

Qvist Active Member

That's The Ukrainians, who are in point of fact The Wedding Present. Ukrainian bass player, but otherwise as english as marmite.

cheers

18. biru

biru get the f* out of my lawn

19. libby

libby Member

At glastonbury (95 i think) i saw Jeff Buckley perform I know its over with everything but the girl and i have to say it was the best version i have ever heard.

20. Oh my god. it's Robby!

Oh my god. it's Robby! spontaneously luminescent

i totally remember now, thx :thumb: