Cover me up, tuck me in

Bonaparte Shandy

Perhaps 'California Son' ended it all, however. Mr Shandy and I have been musing (musing, we have) on the absence of cover versions on the tour.

We like it when we he does a good cover version.

So, we got out the Basildon Bond and we drew up a list. After much argument, a chinese burn and a couple of slammed doors: here's our wish list -

1. Sweet Talkin' Guy - The Chiffons
  2. Rainbow Valley - The Love Affair
  3. Cut Your Hair - Pavement
  4. Cold Blooded Old Times - Smog
  5. The Seagull's Name was Nelson - Des and Dawn
  6. American Nightmare - Misfits
  7. Hurting Each Other - The Walker Brothers
  8. Who Knows Where the Time Goes? - Fairport Convention
  9. Pink Moon - Nick Drake
  10. Seven Little Girls, Sitting in the Back Seat - Dusty Springfield

Perhaps 'California Son' ended it all, however. Mr Shandy and I have been musing (musing, we have) on the absence of cover versions on the tour.

So, we got out the Basildon Bond and we drew up a list. After much argument, a chinese burn and a couple of slammed doors: here's our wish list -

Did you actually give this any thought.......

Give it any thought? GIVE IT ANY THOUGHT? We were at each other all night, at one point I had to threaten him with the airing cupboard again. DID. WE. GIVE. IT. ANY. THOUGHT? I ask you.

Five songs Morrissey should cover:
Elvis Presley - The Girl of My Best Friend
Frank Sinatra - Glad to be Unhappy
The Walker Brothers - Make It Easy On Yourself
Johnny Cash - I Still Miss Someone
Suicide - Surrender

Five songs Morrissey should cover:
Elvis Presley - The Girl of My Best Friend
Frank Sinatra - Glad to be Unhappy
The Walker Brothers - Make It Easy On Yourself
Johnny Cash - I Still Miss Someone
Suicide - Surrender

I can see you gave it some thought

Give it any thought? GIVE IT ANY THOUGHT? We were at each other all night, at one point I had to threaten him with the airing cupboard again. DID. WE. GIVE. IT. ANY. THOUGHT? I ask you.

No, i don't think you did.

This just reads like you put your ipod on shuffle.

I can see you gave it some thought
Most definitely. This is the direction I wish he would take. To me, Morrissey is a crooner and croon he shall. If he never sang another indie rock song again, that would be fine by me.

Most definitely. This is the direction I wish he would take. To me, Morrissey is a crooner and croon he shall. If he never sang another indie rock song again, that would be fine by me.

As much as M is labeled a crooner, and maybe because of that, more or less, he seems to still be chasing/ holding onto that punk attitude and delivery.

Is it because he refuses another label from others, or is it that the music that inspired him initially (NY Dolls,etc) is his fountain of youth, a way to not grow old?

btw, I love that you added Surrender to your list (y)

Well, I’m sure we’ll hear Rainbow Valley someday, since he did record it.

As much as M is labeled a crooner, and maybe because of that, more or less, he seems to still be chasing/ holding onto that punk attitude and delivery.

Is it because he refuses another label from others, or is it that the music that inspired him initially (NY Dolls,etc) is his fountain of youth, a way to not grow old?

btw, I love that you added Surrender to your list (y)

He did even label himself as such on more than one occasion in the past (at least one interview, and that T-shirt from a few years ago). But yeah, there’s definitely a conflict there. I think he’s kicking against both the passing of time and expectations. I understand him (if that is, in fact, the case), but it’s not what I want.

I LOVE Suicide. One of the best bands of all time, in my book.

If we're talking Suicide, I bet Moz could do a nice version of "Dream Baby Dream" considering Dog's synthier direction. Such a good band.

If we're talking Suicide, I bet Moz could do a nice version of "Dream Baby Dream" considering Dog's synthier direction. Such a good band.

Nah, Bruce did that already. Anyway I’d rather M do ‘Frankie Teardrop’, but that’s the punk in me! :p

Back
Top Bottom