Counterfeit Morrissey and Smiths records?

darby1974

Since I have been collecting Moz and Smiths records, (early 90's) I have read, and heard about counterfeit records. Fake HIG negative sleeve, counterfeit Reel Around single etc... But, I have never seen one, or heard of anyone who has.
Is there any documented proof that these, or other Smiths or Moz records have been counterfeited?
Or has anyone seen one, or have one?

I guess there is not a big counterfeit market for Smiths and Morrissey records.

Since I have been collecting Moz and Smiths records, (early 90's) I have read, and heard about counterfeit records. Fake HIG negative sleeve, counterfeit Reel Around single etc... But, I have never seen one, or heard of anyone who has.
Is there any documented proof that these, or other Smiths or Moz records have been counterfeited?
Or has anyone seen one, or have one?

I guess there is not a big counterfeit market for Smiths and Morrissey records.

I seem to remember reading that the easy way to spot a counterfeit 'Reel Around The Fountain' was that the fake did not have anti-slip serrations just outside the label on both sides. I've never seen one in 29 odd years of Smiths collecting (although half of those years were fairly dormant collecting wise, whilst "Junior" was growing up!) and it has always been out of my range.

The telling factor on the 'Hand In Glove' negative sleeve was (I think) the inferior quality of the card that the sleeve was made out of....

The only other one I remember was that there were rumours a few years ago that the frequency of Italian mispressed 'William It Was Really Nothing' 12" singles being listed on ebay from Italy seemed to indicate that somebody might be involved in manufacturing "copies".

Over all, I think you're probably right in stating that The Smiths don't have a large counterfeit market. Maybe they're still a little too "niche"?

Back
Top Bottom