could the disaster of 2013 pave the way for a reunion

jaypayton

2013 has easily been the biggest disaster of Morrissey's career since the 1997 Maladjusted era. Everything he has touched has turned to shit this year, the cancelled tours, bad reviews, bad press, illnesses, recording contract issues, etc...In 2004, Moz felt like he was on top of the world so anytime someone asked about a Smith's reunion, he would laugh it off because he felt he didn't need it. I think it's safe to say Morrissey needs The Smith's now more than ever. Moz' solo career is at the lowest its been, ever, there is only one thing that can save the man's career....This will never happen because he is too god damned stubborn, but its the only logical thing that would save him...Not record deal to put out another shitty album

Re: could the disaster of 2013 pave the way for a reunion......

2013 has easily been the biggest disaster of Morrissey's career since the 1997 Maladjusted era. Everything he has touched has turned to shit this year, the cancelled tours, bad reviews, bad press, illnesses, recording contract issues, etc...In 2004, Moz felt like he was on top of the world so anytime someone asked about a Smith's reunion, he would laugh it off because he felt he didn't need it. I think it's safe to say Morrissey needs The Smith's now more than ever. Moz' solo career is at the lowest its been, ever, there is only one thing that can save the man's career....This will never happen because he is too god damned stubborn, but its the only logical thing that would save him...Not record deal to put out another shitty album

No it won't. Grow up.

Also, it's The Smiths, not The Smith's.

He needs to take one of only two feasible options open to him if he wants to record again - those are a) get new writing partners or b) reform with Johnny and Andy (I'm not naive enough to think Mike would be invited).

The problem is Morrissey has changed over the years and has become an even greater isolated figure, which is strange as when he was the shrinking wall flower in The Smiths era he was seemingly more open to people and their perceived failures. I think he's in a place now where he feels like asking for any outside help would be beneath him after the successes of his hard fought solo career and appearing to "forgive" the likes of Johnny and Andy to reform 3/4 of the Smiths would be unimaginable to him.

It's a shame that someone who has spouted various lines over the years about being "gentle" and "kind" doesn't half harbour some grudges and ill-will against people who really did help him along the way whether is be managers, producers or band mates etc etc.

He would suddenly need to develop some maturity about these things to dig himself out of the lull he currently finds himself but I think all we'll see going forward is the same sub-standard tours and half baked new songs. It's a shame as he's nearing 60 and there's only a certain window in which you can credibly perform the uptempo Smiths songs and he's wasting these years on the sidelines.

I can't see The Smiths ever reforming. No way.

The only option is new writing partners or some sort of collaboration with a known composer or musician. I think it would be exciting if Morrissey was to do something new or avant grade. Couldn't see him ditching his current band and the stubborn old so and so will probably continue in a state of status quo until he is playing butlins!

That would be hilarious if it happened. Thankfully, I think Johnny Marr is on the verge of significant commerical and artistic success and would be very surprised if he agreed to it. Also, unless both Andy and Mike are in the band, it wouldn't work. Just like the Zep reuinon didn't really work. Or the Sabbath one. Both were almost perfect, but both has a 'missing in action' drummer situation, one from a tragically early death, one from a contract dispute. Also, Morrissey would need to settle with Mike Joyce with regard to any outstanding award from the courts, which would probably re-open old wounds. So, no. No reunion, other than as a final catastrophic descent into the abyss. Unless they all resolve their disputes, and are inspired to make new music to match their original canon of works as The Smiths Collective. All four members made that happen and it was foolish of Morrissey to attempt to carry on once that original chemistry was no longer working.

regards.

That would be hilarious if it happened. Thankfully, I think Johnny Marr is on the verge of significant commerical and artistic success and would be very surprised if he agreed to it.
regards.

There's nothing to suggest Marr is on the verge of a commercial breakthrough. He's a well loved fella and gives great interview which, like Noel Gallagher, would have boosted his album reviews by a couple of points. The truth is hardly anyone played the singles away from XfM and 6 Music, and even they stopped playing them a couple of weeks after they were out. The album had a couple of beauties, another good song or two but was otherwise mediocre. He can etch out a solo career though especially as people know he's playing Smiths and Electronic songs live, and he can put new albums out too as he's happy with the semi-DIY approach. So, yes he can do well enough but there won't be any greater commercial break-though coming up. He'll need much better songs for the second album to do as well as the first.

That would be hilarious if it happened. Thankfully, I think Johnny Marr is on the verge of significant commerical and artistic success and would be very surprised if he agreed to it. Also, unless both Andy and Mike are in the band, it wouldn't work. Just like the Zep reuinon didn't really work. Or the Sabbath one. Both were almost perfect, but both has a 'missing in action' drummer situation, one from a tragically early death, one from a contract dispute. Also, Morrissey would need to settle with Mike Joyce with regard to any outstanding award from the courts, which would probably re-open old wounds. So, no. No reunion, other than as a final catastrophic descent into the abyss. Unless they all resolve their disputes, and are inspired to make new music to match their original canon of works as The Smiths Collective. All four members made that happen and it was foolish of Morrissey to attempt to carry on once that original chemistry was no longer working.

regards.

I beg to differ - I think it started off pretty well for Johnny, and he's performing the songs better than Morrissey has of late, but I get the feeling it's all going to go a bit limp and the initial interest will fade towards the back end of this year (next batch of UK dates don't seem to be selling that well from what I can see). He can dress it up as his first "proper" stab at a solo career but we all remember The Healers and this is just basically a (much improved) rehash.

It would be great for Mike to be involved and logically it would make financial sense to offer him a deal where Morrissey & Marr would recoup a large percentage of their legal costs and payment awards to Mike over the course of any tour(s). Having said that I still think's it naive to think Morrissey can just forgive and forget even if the money side stacks up which is all he appears bothered about at present.

To avoid any legal stuff re Mr Joyce; Morrissey, Marr and Rourke could reform as 'Smiths', rather than 'The Smiths'. My fee for this brilliant idea is a modest £26,000.
The 'SMITHS' tee shirts were always cooler than the 'THE SMITHS' tee shirts anyway.

I beg to differ - I think it started off pretty well for Johnny, and he's performing the songs better than Morrissey has of late, but I get the feeling it's all going to go a bit limp and the initial interest will fade towards the back end of this year (next batch of UK dates don't seem to be selling that well from what I can see). He can dress it up as his first "proper" stab at a solo career but we all remember The Healers and this is just basically a (much improved) rehash.

It would be great for Mike to be involved and logically it would make financial sense to offer him a deal where Morrissey & Marr would recoup a large percentage of their legal costs and payment awards to Mike over the course of any tour(s). Having said that I still think's it naive to think Morrissey can just forgive and forget even if the money side stacks up which is all he appears bothered about at present.

Wolves Civic is sold out. It will be nice for Johnny to have a full house at THAT venue. Re-hash? Have you listened to Morrissey's last half dozen albums? The only benefit of a reuinion by The Smiths would be that this site would explode with 'devotion' and I'd have a right old laugh debunking the hysteria.

regards.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing to suggest Marr is on the verge of a commercial breakthrough. He's a well loved fella and gives great interview which, like Noel Gallagher, would have boosted his album reviews by a couple of points. The truth is hardly anyone played the singles away from XfM and 6 Music, and even they stopped playing them a couple of weeks after they were out. The album had a couple of beauties, another good song or two but was otherwise mediocre. He can etch out a solo career though especially as people know he's playing Smiths and Electronic songs live, and he can put new albums out too as he's happy with the semi-DIY approach. So, yes he can do well enough but there won't be any greater commercial break-though coming up. He'll need much better songs for the second album to do as well as the first.

Other than being constantly booked for festivals and building an audience through sell-out shows over the last year, of course there's no indication of success? Not like the hordes swarming cinemas across the UK to watch Morrissey's dismal film, ahem!

regards.

Is Johnny Marr one of those wake'n'bake perma-stoners? I can't fathom why he participates in daily conversations with Scarlet Ibis on twitter. He must be high. :D

Not gonna happen. Get over it.

So that's the "dismal film" you haven't actually seen?

Glad to see you're keeping an open mind.

I've seen "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and read a cross-selection of reviews. I've also cringed at the trailer. Having also seen dismal live shows with variations of this set list once too often, I think I can safely conclude it is a dismal film.

I'm sure it's very funny at times, such as when the cult casualties thank Morrissey for living or saving their children's lives or some such nonsense. If I were to watch this in a cinema, my belly-laughs would disturb other patrons.

regards.

If somebody had seen the eils footage, trailer and read the reviews and decided in advance that they were still going to like the film, you would ridicule that person. I think you'd be right to ridicule that person, just as i feel right ridiculing you for passing judgement on the film without seeing it.

I've seen "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and read a cross-selection of reviews. I've also cringed at the trailer. Having also seen dismal live shows with variations of this set list once too often, I think I can safely conclude it is a dismal film.

I'm sure it's very funny at times, such as when the cult casualties thank Morrissey for living or saving their children's lives or some such nonsense. If I were to watch this in a cinema, my belly-laughs would disturb other patrons. regards.

I would imagine its a big fat belly too.

I feel as if the only people who are asking for a reunion are the ones who are barely getting into The Smiths.
I'm more of a Moz fan than a Smiths fan, but don't get me wrong. The Smiths is where it all started.

After reading interviews, books, & GOOGLE in general. You realize that Morrissey
has no interested what-so-ever to reunite with The Smiths.
I can see a Marr & Moz happening, but the entire four? There's a better chance in winning the lotto.

I feel as if the only people who are asking for a reunion are the ones who are barely getting into The Smiths.
I'm more of a Moz fan than a Smiths fan, but don't get me wrong. The Smiths is where it all started.

After reading interviews, books, & GOOGLE in general. You realize that Morrissey
has no interested what-so-ever to reunite with The Smiths.
I can see a Marr & Moz happening, but the entire four? There's a better chance in winning the lotto.

You'd think this fact alone would make people think "Well if they reunited, he wouldn't be really into it so it wouldn't be the same." But no. :D

Either getting back with Johnny or getting rid of ALL of his current band (sorry Boz) and making a fresh start with some new collaborators would be the logical thing to do - but Morrissey was never very logical. He's such a stubborn old sausage I genuinely think he'd rather fade into oblivion thinking he was right, and the rest of the world was wrong, rather than admit that something might be broken and try fixing it. He needs, desperately, to break out of his comfort zone. He needs to have the courage to jump into the unknown, and not just keep trudging along with a bunch of third-rate musicians doing an endless 'Greatest Hits' tour.

But, I think he's settled for the easy life. To go back to working with Johnny (by which I mean new material, not a Smiths reunion tour), would mean going back to a genuine partnership, after years where Moz has had 100% control over every aspect of his life. I don't think Morrissey has enough humility in him (actually, ANY humility), to work in any situation in which he is not the sole driving force who everyone must bow down to, and everyone around him are no more than paid employees.

I would imagine its a big fat belly too.

"You're the one for me, fatty"

Try another prejudice or projection. The 'trapped in mom's basement on disability eating cheerios and drinking 5 litres of Coke a day" thing is exhausted. Perhaps it's time to re-ignite the speculations that I'm a racist, a child-sex fiend, or a mental patient with access to a computer in the hospital library. Actually, I've heard it all here many times before, so don't bother: get on with your life. I'm sure it's full of fascinating challenges that I could only dream of experiencing as I type away in my bitter anger and frustration that I am not a 'Pop Idol' like the sainted Moz. If only I was a rich sociophobe in Bel Air, all my dreams would have come true.......still, I have the compensation of marriage, children, friends both human and non-human and a very pleasing bank balance. And devastating good looks. But I guess you've figured that out by now.

With every good wish.
Yours, in jubilo

Back
Top Bottom