Cosmic Dancer and the real story of the Morrissey vs Bowie debacle - stevepafford.com

kleinhond

"I know he turned 61 in May but, together with some of his dodgier opinions on society, Moz has this curiously bipolar relationship with memorialising the person he cited as a “one-man revolution” that I can only put down to advancing years and/or desperately trolling for a reaction.

In 1995, Morrissey agreed to open up for his hero on the European leg of Bowie’s Outside tour, but after getting a poor reception from the crowds, quit early on, citing an “illness” that didn’t stop him from touring Japan on his own a couple weeks later. Later, he could claim he was under pressure from The Dame to submit to a segueway segment that would have seen the two artists sing each other’s songs between their respective sets in order to “win over” the Morrissey faithful. While it’s certainly true that that was Bowie’s initial plan, however calculating that sounds, that’s expressly not the reason Moz left the tour."

Taken from Cosmic Dancer and the real story of the Morrissey vs Bowie debacle at stevepafford.com

Attachments

• 52459_upload_2020-1-4_19-42-46.png
    52459_upload_2020-1-4_19-42-46.png
    475.8 KB · Views: 0
  • morrissey-bowie.jpg
    morrissey-bowie.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Travesty Rayner described as a film director.

Jesus f***ing Christ

It's a bit daft to expect a consistent attitude to someone he was a fan of & tried to work with & gets compared to.

Think of all the love & rage & envy & regret that would produce.

‘touring Japan on his own a couple weeks later.’

Was it two weeks later? I didn’t check.
But like all illnesses, he may have felt good enough to carry on.

Last edited:
plus some bonus footage of Sparks’ Ron and Russell Mael waiting to meet Bowie backstage after the gig. You don’t get to see the actual backslapping, but perhaps it didn’t go too well. That would certainly explain the comments one of the brothers made to this writer after watching Bowie at the 1996 Brit Awards several years later.

Would be interesting to know what one of the brothers said about Bowie.

“.......“win over” the Morrissey faithful. While it’s certainly true that that was Bowie’s initial plan, however calculating that sounds, that’s expressly not the reason Moz left the tour."

I think we could put it down to depression ( as Jo Slee has said ) or personal matters as to why M left the tour. I read the above article and it doesn’t give a absolute reason why M left the tour.

Tags
david bowie morrissey
Back
Top Bottom