Morrissey Central Correction - Chris Laurence played string bass on "He Knows I'd Love To See Him" (August 24, 2022)

Chris Laurence played string bass on Morrissey's track "He Knows I'd Love To See Him."

full

As I would like to know what Moz thinks of Lawrence. In some things they are very similar, I do not mean the voice that have nothing to do with it, but the personality but Lawrence is sweeter than Moz I saw recent notes is like more humble and when young I was a total beauty.!!!! I was saddened to hear and see him, and how I would love for him to be friends with Morrissey! Lawrence my new discovery!!!!!!

Also listening to ’primitive pointers’ now and it is so nice to hear it again.
So good to rediscover some of the forgotten treasures of good old days.

From memory there's a bunch of Moz records with the wrong credits, most obviously the Your Arsenal band being credited on tracks they don't appear on in place if those that played (Sing Your Life/Pregnant/ Love Life singles), no Ronson & Nevin playing credits on Arsenal. Odd that he picks just this one to flag up.

I love Felt, but I’ve never heard Morrissey mention anything about them or Lawrence. But, go listen to “Penelope Tree,” then listen to Johnny Marr’s “European Me” and tell me they’re not totally similar!

The Smiths and Felt did a gig together in 1984. Also Maurice Deebank was auditioned as guitarist for "Viva Hate" but the job was already given to Vini Reilly.

Incidentally, I think the Captcha for this board should be adjusted so instead of "I am human" it says "I am human and I need to be loved"...

Thank you. I read that the guitars in Felt have a similar style to Johnny and that for many Felt is superior to S. miths. Someone here put the video of primitive painters and I was surprised that I liked it very much and Lawrence with his personality impacted me, then I looked for him and saw that he has a sad history and that he is a good person is much lonelier than Morrissey weirder and took me love, so I wanted to know if Moz knew him, if I help him. Thank you, I will listen to the albums
Thank you. I read that the guitars in Felt have a similar style to Johnny and that for many Felt is superior to S. miths. Someone here put the video of primitive painters and I was surprised that I liked it very much and Lawrence with his personality impacted me, then I looked for him and saw that he has a sad history and that he is a good person is much lonelier than Morrissey weirder and took me love, so I wanted to know if Moz knew him, if I help him. Thank you, I will listen to the albums
I’ve loved Felt and collected their records since the early 90s. Their albums are all over the place, but here are my favs: the splendor of fear, the strange idols pattern…, forever breathes the lonely word, poem of the river, pictorial Jackson review, and gold mine trash. Favorite songs: gather up your wings and fly, she lives by the castle. I never knew Deebank auditioned for Moz! That would’ve been great! I always assumed he dropped out of music after Lawrence called him a “Jesus freak” in the song “ballad of the band.”

I love Felt, but I’ve never heard Morrissey mention anything about them or Lawrence. But, go listen to “Penelope Tree,” then listen to Johnny Marr’s “European Me” and tell me they’re not totally similar!
Which reminds me - listen to the track ‘Fortune’ from the first Felt album. It sounds staggeringly like Nirvana’s Come As You Are’. Deebank was the real star of the first iteration of the band, although Lawrence is an enigma in his own right.

Isn't there also some confusion over the credits of some of the B sides on those singles immediately after Alain was fired from the band and Jesse first brought in?

I always presumed this was a fretless electric bass guitar, but you live and learn. Whoever this guy is, he deserves an overdue applause for what is easily the greatest bassline in any Morrissey song. :thumb:

Lawrence's latest incarnation, Mozart Estate, played a handful of concerts in the UK just a few weeks ago, and have a new album ready to go so he's doing OK. I've never really listened to Felt but loved the two Denim albums. Not so keen on the post-Denim stuff but will listen out for this new album.

Back on topic - yep, it does indeed sound like a fretless bass. Reminds me a bit of the bass sound on the big Paul Young singles. Read an interview with him once saying that he is/was quite a fan of the Smiths later stuff.

Last edited:
Lawrence's latest incarnation, Mozart Estate, played a handful of concerts in the UK just a few weeks ago, and have a new album ready to go so he's doing OK. I've never really listened to Felt but loved the two Denim albums. Not so keen on the post-Denim stuff but will listen out for this new album.

Back on topic - yep, it does indeed sound like a fretless bass. Reminds me a bit of the bass sound on the big Paul Young singles. Read an interview with him once saying that he is/was quite a fan of the Smiths later stuff.
Ahh if I saw a video of Lawrence with Mozart estate and I like it, well I like Lawrence very much I declare myself a fan of Lawrence and I am glad that he is doing well Viva Lawrence deserves the best!!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom