Copenhagen - Operaen (July 11, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

First Of The Gang To Die / I Want The One I Can't Have / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / You Have Killed Me / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / You're The One For Me, Fatty / The Kid's A Looker / Action Is My Middle Name / I Know It's Over / Satellite Of Love / Alma Matters / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / People Are The Same Everywhere / Meat is Murder / Speedway / Irish Blood, English Heart // There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

set list provided by @WorldWontListen from somedizzywhore.com, link posted by an anonymous person

Morrissey website owner thrown out of gig - TalkTalk. Link from an anonymous person.

Last edited:
A name-change for the site, if nothing else, seems appropriate.

There's an obvious parrallel between the excommunication of Jukebox Jury over a year ago, and the removal of the site owner from the gig. Jukebox Jury had a stated interest in Morrissey and contributed relevant material regularly on related matters. He engaged with other posters in the spirit of good fun, fair play, and natural rules of conduct. His persistance in the face of unsatisfactory treatment by rule-makers was interpreted as a nuisance attitude and the controllers of the domain arranged for him to be barred, adding that he should grow up and he was his own worst enemy etc etc. If you substitute DavidT for JJ here, and grant the general entitlement of people to exert authority over their reach in the world so that they can continue operation, there's hardly any difference. Why not rename the site DavidTseng-solo.com

Also, the term 'fan' has lost all meaning here. Read instead 'person who has something to say about Morrissey'.

As he said, There are no friends in modern life.

It reminds me of an uncompromising story that Oscar Wilde wrote: The Devoted Friend - From The Happy Prince and Other Tales (1888)

One morning the old Water-rat put his head out of his hole. He had bright beady eyes and stiff grey whiskers and his tail was like a long bit of black india-rubber. The little ducks were swimming about in the pond, looking just like a lot of yellow canaries, and their mother, who was pure white with real red legs, was trying to teach them how to stand on their heads in the water.

"You will never be in the best society unless you can stand on your heads," she kept saying to them; and every now and then she showed them how it was done. But the little ducks paid no attention to her. They were so young that they did not know what an advantage it is to be in society at all.

"What disobedient children!" cried the old Water-rat; "they really deserve to be drowned."

"Nothing of the kind," answered the Duck, "every one must make a beginning, and parents cannot be too patient."

"Ah! I know nothing about the feelings of parents," said the Water- rat; "I am not a family man. In fact, I have never been married, and I never intend to be. Love is all very well in its way, but friendship is much higher. Indeed, I know of nothing in the world that is either nobler or rarer than a devoted friendship."

"And what, pray, is your idea of the duties of a devoted friend?" asked a Green Linnet, who was sitting in a willow-tree hard by, and had overheard the conversation.

"Yes, that is just what I want to know," said the Duck; and she swam away to the end of the pond, and stood upon her head, in order to give her children a good example.

"What a silly question!" cried the Water-rat. "I should expect my devoted friend to be devoted to me, of course."

"And what would you do in return?" said the little bird, swinging upon a silver spray, and flapping his tiny wings.

"I don't understand you," answered the Water-rat.

"Let me tell you a story on the subject," said the Linnet.

"Is the story about me?" asked the Water-rat. "If so, I will listen to it, for I am extremely fond of fiction."

"It is applicable to you," answered the Linnet; and he flew down, and alighting upon the bank, he told the story of The Devoted Friend.

"Once upon a time," said the Linnet, "there was an honest little fellow named Hans."...
http://www.online-literature.com/wilde/176/

But it says everything about what this site has become - the amount of semi-literate, ill-informed invective being spewed out is shocking. I came on here to read about the gig not wade through the "opinions" of a bunch of self-important twats.

Oh the irony. I guess you think your particular self-important, off-topic twattery is a must-read for us all. Go f*** yourself.

if this is à morrissey fan site why can't people talk about the copenhagen gig.
This forum only talks about morrissey 's fans and hate to the band members.
If david realy rejected maybe hè deserve it ( sorry david )
david can you show your copenhagen ticket?

Tomorrow i hope to go to the aarhus gig ,and i will write à review about the gig and the peformance.
But not talking about all those crap overhere.

I'm à fan
regards

shut up whiner!

I'm often amazed at some of the childish and reactionary rubbish that's posted here, but never more so than in recent days.

"If the Morrissey of 1985 could have seen the Morrissey of today...he would have killed himself" - this absurd comment surely belongs with all those inane "reform The Smiths / re-recruit the mid-90s tour band" posts. People change, the world changes. To imagine that anything would - or even should - remain the same in perpetuity is a naive adolescent fantasy. Why do so many here persist in looking back rather than forward? If that's how you feel, stay home with your Smiths records and daydream.

"This site... is a testament to an artist [David] loves" - Well, call me old-fashioned, but I always thought respect was a crucial part of love (and no, I'm not suggesting for a moment that respect is synonymous with unquestioning propaganda), but anyone with a brain can see there has been scant respect for Morrissey on this website for several years - though admittedly it's gotten much worse of late. Yet some posters bizarrely seem to think he should actually be grateful for all this relentless shit-flinging which is an un-f***ing-believable expectation.

There have been some peculiar arguments against disabling Front Page comments too. Notably that "the Forums don't work". Don't work for WHAT, exactly? The Forums are now the only worthwhile part of this godforsaken site. I can only assume that the subtext of such an argument goes like this: "I need to post my impotent rage somewhere prominent where I can delude myself that Morrissey might see it, so it can't be tucked away in a selected thread in the Forums".

And what's with all those infantile "if Moz doesn't do X, then I'll do Y" posts? Because surely the implication is that the poster believes a) Morrissey will read the comment, and b) having carefully considered the poster's threat to burn his records, become a "hater" or boycott his gigs, Moz will immediately issue a statement reversing his position and extending the hand of friendship to David/Solo; anyone who seriously believes this will happen simply hasn't been paying attention over the last 25 years. How old are these people - thirteen?

A couple more gems of ignorance:

"[Morrissey & band] probably wouldn't be playing tonight if it wasn't for David and this site" - a breathtakingly deluded comment. Not that it needs saying, but Morrissey has a fanbase that both pre-dates, and is independent of, any website; to suggest anything else is really laughable. And as for the histrionic cries of "Censorship" and "Fascism"? It's absolutely your right to say what you like about him and it's absolutely his right to disallow admittance (see ticket small print). Isn't it more "fascistic" to expect that you can say whatever you like, but that Morrissey shouldn't be able to react, respond or criticise YOU in any way?

David - Moz doesn't want you, doesn't need you, and since the majority of ordinary Solo visitors (ie not your hardcore cronies) are now spectacularly indifferent at best and profoundly disappointed at worst, why would you embarrass yourself by continuing to financially support this increasingly pointless endeavor? It's plain for even the most casual browser to see that this site is no longer a "testament to an artist [you] love" - it's a cesspit of hatred, ignorance, intolerance and bile, and a playground for trolls, propped up by the incestuous narcissism of you and your mod cronies. And the sane among us are all tainted by association.

"Free speech, free speech, free speech...." Yes, but that's only half of it - because free speech, like power, is only valuable when exercised with responsibility, as Rupert Murdoch is currently learning to his cost. And of course pleading "Free speech" simply doesn't have any credibility while you and/or your cronies are blocking the IP addresses of your critics, so that they have to use a proxy to post (as I have just had to do). You sad, hypocritical disgrace.

Ok mods, over to you to start attacking me (anonymously, of course)...

Okay, all of this needs to stop. I don't like calling people out, but this time I see no other option. Whether Morrissey approved of this action last night, I have no idea (bottom line-he can exclude whoever he wants from his own gig), but it's quite scary that one certain Scottish "fan" has enough pull to have someone ejected from a gig. f*** this. He posted his intentions of his Facebook page, so everyone can enjoy his comments:

H*** C****
David Tseng. Wank. Wank. Wank.
05 July at 02:43

H*** C****
Heard this kaunt plans to go to the Scandinavian gigs.
05 July at 02:46

H*** C****
WE just just need to make sure he doesn't get in.
Tonight he is allowing posts attacking Julia to be posted. The censorship on his site is more wank than he is. That is a whole lot of big wank.
05 July at 02:49

Anyone that can see his facebook page can see this information. Like I said, I don't normally like people being called out, but this kind of scandalous behaviour shouldn't be allowed.

If i would be David i would close this site forever...so there would not be any promotion for Morrissey be done...and when Morrissey was out the news and living in LA this site was still going on...it helped to get Morrissey in the spotlight again....and one thing is i would ban all anonymous posters here.....:sick:

The fact Morrissey ejected one of his most famous fans with the explanation, 'you know what you did' is far more important than yet another bland gig with session player Jesse and a bunch of old hits trotted out. Deal with it.

If Morrissey does not apologise/explain himself, a campaign will begin to obtain a refund for David Tseng, which will be more costly to Morrissey than any of the blots on his career thus far. There are thousands of so-lowers who will gladly boycott the artist formerly known as Morrissey until David gets what he is owed - his concert fee back.

Otherwise, we could raise money for David to sue Morrissey. He must have spent close to a thousand to watch Morrissey, only for his tantrum to result in ejection from the gig. Morrissey must be held accountable. Yes, he has the legal right to eject someone from a private concert; and David also has the legal right to sue.

YES YES YES!! Let's start a revolution against Mozzer. He or us. If I had to chose I will naturally support DAVID T. He has given so much for Morrissey, and now he gets a kick in the arse.

If anyone is brave enough to sell "f*** MORRISSEY" T-Shirts, it would be a pleasure to buy them!!!

Show Morrissey the red card. Show him that he cannot behave like Augusto Pinochet!!
If you have the chance: throw something at him whatever it is! Beer, Handys, Cams, everything. Better: throw stable cards with "David Tseng is our hero" at Moz. Maybe Mr. Lachrymose will abandon the gig and future gigs will be cancelled too. Get him where you can only grab megalomaniac "popstars": When the money runs dry...

Mike Joyce

I still can't wrap my head around this being true. I am trying to keep an open mind about it all but not sure. I am a HUGE Moz/Smiths fan from back in the mid 80s, and to this day love just about everything he has done. But this site is about HIM and and like 90% of the folks that post here (I am more a lurker), do nothing but just love him. Is he opposed to the negativity that can come up involving his work? Sorry, but that is part of being an artist. If the site was not called morrissey-solo.com would he have the same opinion? Maybe/maybe not, I don't know. The Internet is full of opinions as is life, I doubt that Morrissey can shut down the who Internet (but I bet he's tried).

Is it because of the file sharing that is going on? Could be some of it. But again, every music artist is experiencing the same thing. Maybe it's some of the leaks of unreleased demos and tracks that surface from time to time and delight us all? Yep, he's missing out on some coin he could have possibly made IF he would have put together a quality "best of" or box set. I know I would have tripped over myself and shot my dog (if I had one) just to get my hands on it. But he didn't, he chose to released about 6 different "best of" CDs. I really do NOT need another version of Playboys, or Every Day is Like Sunday.

The thing with my love (for lack of a better word) with Morrissey is that (especially lately) for every great thing he says or does he does one that is just hard to believe. I have be burned by him more than a few times (cancelled shows due to mystery illnesses), and a show that I drove 3 hours to get to to have him do a set list that was about 40 minutes long and saying but a few words to the crowd. BUT I still kept listening. Then I saw him in '09 and he was just amazing! Great voice, sound, chatty. One of the best concerts I have EVER been to.

Then we get to his views of the record industry and a contract. Sad to say thing are different now, I miss the local record store, and holding records and CDs in my hand and all that romantic type stuff that makes us love buying music. But damn, things are just different now. Why did he re-release Everyday Is Like Sunday (amongst other singles) in the past couple years and then get all bitchy because they didn't sell. WE ALL HAVE THEM!! Why not do a proper single (even if a download ep, GASP!!) of something NEW with some quality B Sides (he did this back in the 90s a bit). Hell he could self release no problem (and I believe he has said as much).

I know some folks that hate everything he has done in recent years, but I still dig most of it and listen to him almost daily. OK daily, there is no almost, but if you are trying to impress a record company he is NOT going to do it with the new songs he has played live this tour (The Kids & Action would be OK B sides, but the People are the same is unlistenable). What record company would even believe that the same person that wrote the lyrics on The Smiths CDs and Viva Hate wrote some of the recent stuff, half of it doesn't even make sense or carry a melody.

UG!! I can't believe I felt the need to post this. Just disappointed in the whole thing of late. He was in the greatest band EVER, and I'm sure (if he lets me now) I will continue to buy his CDs (just no more best of cds or single with photos of him from 20 years ago on it).

Oh well, I don't know the full story on why he hates the site, so I will shut up. Just can't believe, and find it sad, that he would have someone removed for making a site for folks to basically worship him. LOL! What I really think it comes down to is the money. TONS of his fans visit this site, talk about him, share his music and he doesn't get any money. What he does get is free publicity though, and for every one person that DLs a song that may have been put up illegally (which they shouldn't be), severally more will buy the CDs or pay to see him live, buy t shirts, etc.

OK. I have to do some work, enough of this. Can we just talk about the shows and the music now?

As for Julia- I'd imagine she doesn't exist and Morrissey is behind her site for self promoting reasons. Him mentioning her is irrelevant and just something to fill the spaces in between songs. HE probably is Julia.

You're a f***ing lunatic, Julia exists.

I agree. I don't understand why he's taken to throwing his own fans out of concerts lately. It's as though his persecution complex has reached new heights.

If you read the blog www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com it seems to have encapsulated his cruelty, egomania and narcissism perfectly. Today's entry, for example, seems to epitomise all that's wrong with Mozza in 2011. Where once How Soon Is Now was a paen to his own suffering, now the words are used to mock the victims of his own spite. It sums up the crux of the problem - Morrissey is not a very pleasant person. This, of course, is not news to those he has screwed over the years. But now his spite is directed against his own fans (though not the millionaires who buy him OW first editions, seemingly), we're finally catching up.

He is a genius, but he's so deeply flawed, the lights are in danger of going off completely. 'People are the Same Everywhere' is ghastly. It's Paul Young covering Slade. Morrissey, get a grip. Apologise. Become a better human being.

you do realize its not the real Morrissey that posts there? Its a fake fabrication

Review from danish paper Jyllands-Posten translated via Google Translate (so bear with us!):

Morrissey let his aggressive band stepped on the highlights from his 30 year career. New songs mark new low for the charismatic singer.

Opera, Copenhagen

Morrissey

Monday evening

It was a bit of a tragedy that unfolded at the Opera on Monday night. In the most horrible moments you had to keep both eyes and ears.

The black-clad protagonist Morrissey - former lead singer of the iconic rock quartet The Smiths and later manager of an interesting but somewhat checkered solo career - so passively by while the scene's relentless musicians reduced several of his otherwise immortal masterpieces of unimportant røvballe-rock.

Worst things went out of Smiths classics as "Shoplifters of the World Unite," "I Want the One I Can not Have" and "There is a Light That Never Goes Out", which hardly becomes himself again after Monday's heavy-handed treatment . The tuxedo-clad musicians tore loose strings, but none managed to reproduce the dancing riff, which was the original guitarist Johnny Marr trademark. Instead, we often eaten with a criminal high, muddy and impersonal rocklyd, which sounded more of tribute band than competent soundtrack to a series of British rock history's best lyrics.

Take just the title track from Smiths album "Meat is Murder" (1984), whose message otherwise still shipper at heart.

The avid vegetarian Morrissey has previously abandoned a U.S. concert festival in anger because he could smell the barbecue, and most recently has managed the jar to make the Belgian Lokerse Feesten festival meatless. The opera may seem odd that the singer sloppy way through just the text and left too much to his rowdy mates.

Needed bright spots
Yes, there were bright spots in the 75-minute concert.

Cover version of Lou Reed's "Satellite of Love" came from the heart, and although the 52-year-old Morrissey had trouble hitting the high notes and therefore chose to alternately scream and grunt their way through passages in gray classic "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and the sarcastic "You're the One for Me, Fatty", they were already rocked feature distance in guitar noise.

And the band remained thankfully relatively passive in the drawling Smith-ballad "I Know It's Over", from Morrissey's desperate quest for love remains as the evening's most credible moments.

Recent attempts to encapsulate the loneliness seemed more pretended. In "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" embraces Morrissey the French capital because only stone and steel to cope with his love. Cute, but unfortunately not very catchy.

Bad news
Morrissey is full of good songs, but as the years have been too far between the successful proposal.

The latest, "Years of Refusal" (2009), is a disappointing affair, and some suggest that the upcoming 10th solo album will serve as a new artistic low point. In opera we got the mediocre news "Action is My Middle Name", based on an infant melody and sounds of an infinitely small when it is served along with the gold from the 1980s and early 1990s.

It must Morrissey like to skip over when he on Wednesday evening gives a sold out concert at VoxHall in Aarhus.

Morrissey's personal security guards have always been w@nkers over the years.

Are they from the US? Or are they still Mexicans?

Sorry to hear you was ejected David. Keep up the site.

SOME THINGS:

Translated via Google Translate from Danish music site Gaffa's review of the gig:

"Monday spent two of the world's most prominent animal rights day in Copenhagen. One to play at the Opera, the other to write autographs at the Fish Market. We stick to writing about the best pressure served by the two visitors divas, for it is after all not every day that Morrissey playing in a hall filled with plush seats.

Never mind this site; that's yet another reason to close down the dreadful Google Translate.

I was one of 30-or-so who were disappointed not to meet the man himself, having waited for an hour-or-so afterwards. It's his prerogative to avoid the public, of course, and more understandable given what we now know of earlier events.

FINAL WORD: DAVID TSENG HAS FAILED.

(all this time, he has done the fanzine and website to somehow get close to Morrissey but he has failed. the only thing he has done is get close to weirdo prescription drug addicts.)

Kenzie, shut the f*** up, you know nothing.

Peter, bored, Kewpie, abrahaM have all sucked on Shitseng's tit in some effort to be favored, added to a guestlist, or that Morrissey, in some way, might have taken notice and rewarded their efforts, but.....alas.........FAIL!

And I'm happy about it. This website has always sucked and been worthless. A nest for sick people. I liked Morrissey without this website and I will continue to like him and his music WITHOUT this website.

Keep creating threads about stupid, pointless things like, "i have a disease" or "Would you eat Morrissey droppings?" or "GIF wars" and I'll keep following Morrissey.

David Shitseng is an embarrassment to the human population and IS a sub-species.

Well David, not sure what to say. You've been always nice when I've spoken to you at shows and it was real disappointing reading today you were turned away at this show. I too have been a long time fan and hope this site continues. I check M-solo once a week for new news and concert reviews and not much else. Thanks David for all you do for M's fans including myself!

I wouldn't be surprised if this Julia idiot was involved in throwing off David T. from the venue. This rivalry ought to stop!!!

David, hang in there, you are cool, mate.

f*** Morrissey and his ego. I say, this Julia can go to hell! And all those who kiss her arse.
I am so very disappointed at Morrissey.
Really disgusting behaviour...

Just wait and see what happens when no one supports and promotes His Holyness anymore. This true to you site is a f***ing joke!!!

How did Morrissey's security people know david t was in the building?

I still can't wrap my head around this being true. I am trying to keep an open mind about it all but not sure. I am a HUGE Moz/Smiths fan from back in the mid 80s, and to this day love just about everything he has done. But this site is about HIM and and like 90% of the folks that post here (I am more a lurker), do nothing but just love him. Is he opposed to the negativity that can come up involving his work? Sorry, but that is part of being an artist. If the site was not called morrissey-solo.com would he have the same opinion? Maybe/maybe not, I don't know. The Internet is full of opinions as is life, I doubt that Morrissey can shut down the who Internet (but I bet he's tried).

Is it because of the file sharing that is going on? Could be some of it. But again, every music artist is experiencing the same thing. Maybe it's some of the leaks of unreleased demos and tracks that surface from time to time and delight us all? Yep, he's missing out on some coin he could have possibly made IF he would have put together a quality "best of" or box set. I know I would have tripped over myself and shot my dog (if I had one) just to get my hands on it. But he didn't, he chose to released about 6 different "best of" CDs. I really do NOT need another version of Playboys, or Every Day is Like Sunday.

The thing with my love (for lack of a better word) with Morrissey is that (especially lately) for every great thing he says or does he does one that is just hard to believe. I have be burned by him more than a few times (cancelled shows due to mystery illnesses), and a show that I drove 3 hours to get to to have him do a set list that was about 40 minutes long and saying but a few words to the crowd. BUT I still kept listening. Then I saw him in '09 and he was just amazing! Great voice, sound, chatty. One of the best concerts I have EVER been to.

Then we get to his views of the record industry and a contract. Sad to say thing are different now, I miss the local record store, and holding records and CDs in my hand and all that romantic type stuff that makes us love buying music. But damn, things are just different now. Why did he re-release Everyday Is Like Sunday (amongst other singles) in the past couple years and then get all bitchy because they didn't sell. WE ALL HAVE THEM!! Why not do a proper single (even if a download ep, GASP!!) of something NEW with some quality B Sides (he did this back in the 90s a bit). Hell he could self release no problem (and I believe he has said as much).

I know some folks that hate everything he has done in recent years, but I still dig most of it and listen to him almost daily. OK daily, there is no almost, but if you are trying to impress a record company he is NOT going to do it with the new songs he has played live this tour (The Kids & Action would be OK B sides, but the People are the same is unlistenable). What record company would even believe that the same person that wrote the lyrics on The Smiths CDs and Viva Hate wrote some of the recent stuff, half of it doesn't even make sense or carry a melody.

UG!! I can't believe I felt the need to post this. Just disappointed in the whole thing of late. He was in the greatest band EVER, and I'm sure (if he lets me now) I will continue to buy his CDs (just no more best of cds or single with photos of him from 20 years ago on it).

Oh well, I don't know the full story on why he hates the site, so I will shut up. Just can't believe, and find it sad, that he would have someone removed for making a site for folks to basically worship him. LOL! What I really think it comes down to is the money. TONS of his fans visit this site, talk about him, share his music and he doesn't get any money. What he does get is free publicity though, and for every one person that DLs a song that may have been put up ill

egally (which they shouldn't be), severally more will buy the CDs or pay to see him live, buy t shirts, etc.

OK. I have to do some work, enough of this. Can we just talk about the shows and the music now?

Very well said. It is a sad state of affairs. He is not the man i thought, David was hardly going to cause a problem,he had a balcony ticket and just wanted to watch the concert.
Morrissey should really give it up now.
With hindsight he should have bowed out with the birthday shows 2 years ago.

Its sad to see someone you have admired for 27 years behaving like this.

Shouldn't that read, 'Morrissey had David T ejaculated...' Ooh er, madam.

you know, I'm a long time user of this site, but it's pretty strange for someone to continue running it when the man it is dedicated to despises him as a human being. maybe this is how David financial survives, but I dunno, it might be in his best interest to close up shop and straighten out whatever (possible) mental issues persist.

also, David, you announced via the front page that three songs from ROTT leaked early... and you're expecting a refund at the show? you're blacklisted, son.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom