Control-Bio Movie on Ian Curtis/Joy Division

Smith Division

NY blood CHI heart
I understand this movie is to be released in the States on October 10th. It had great reviews at Cannes and I am looking forward to seeing this film on an incredible band and frontman. I can only imagine what this band could have been if Ian was around long enough. What would the Smiths be if they were still together? Before Cobain, there was Curtis. Before Marr and Morrissey, there were Curtis and Hook. His lyrics were so deeply intense it is hard to compare him with anyone. Morrissey uses wit, sarcasm, humor, and touches of social awareness for his genius. Curtis used his soul.

Does anyone know where this film is being released? I live in Chicago and wonder if it will be playing in my town.

Hi again... we keep running into each other. I live in the Chicago area too.

I was just wondering about this movie the other day. Here's the IMDB page for it: looks almost like there's only one print in the US, it's in NY for a few days, then running in LA. I think we're going to have to wait.

Is there still a movie theatre on Michigan Avenue in the building with the Artist's Snack Shop across from the Art Institute? We used to go see movies there.

Really looking forward to this if the trailers are anything to go by.

:)

Really looking forward to this film as well. I've always loved Corbijn's work, in particular the video for "Atmosphere" which I still find stunning (despite its oddity).

What kind of band would Joy Division have been if Ian had lived? It's always assumed that New Order took a radical new direction after Ian's suicide, only truly escaping his shadow after "Movement", but I was surprised to learn that Ian had been the one pushing the group to use more electronics. "Closer" had lots of synths, and if you think about the remix of "She's Lost Control" and the weird instrumental "As You Said" it's clear the band were probably headed for the dancefloor in some form or another.

I suspect they would eventually have morphed into something like New Order even with Ian, the primary difference (and it's a huge one) of course being the vocals and lyrics. Tracks like "Truth", "Procession", "Cries and Whispers", and even a few later numbers like "Sunrise" and "Elegia" are all pretty good hints as to how Joy Division might have sounded with a few more years of development.

Musically two things happened which really changed New Order: Martin Hannett's parting company with them as producer, and Stephen Morris' embrace of drum machines. Unquestionably they had a much lighter touch with Bernard Sumner's nonsense lyrics and poppier vocal melodies, but musically I'm pretty sure they'd have turned into the same kind of rhythm machine regardless of who was the frontman. If I could name one song that sounds close to how Joy Division would have sounded, it would be 1987's "True Faith".

Sadly heard Hooky and Bernard slagging each other off on the radio last night.
Although Bernard did say he'd never take Hooky to court:how sad would that be?

Agree about the Atmosphere video:gets to me everytime..and I'm not even too sure why

Can you tell I am in the middle a seriously important phone conference bored off my arse? I shoiuld be fired, but that would be impossible.

Wait??? Patience is a virtue not worth waiting for-live your life. I go to New York and LA on business often, so I will have to schedule a trip and review. I might be a little challenged on the whole internet thing, but I completely missed the IMDB page...

I think this band, if they would have lasted, would have been one of the best ever. This movie is not all about the music, but also touches on the relationships that ultimately destroyed the man.

I am not sure about that theatre-sorry. Biograph or the Bijou theatre usuaully have these titles.

It's opening here in Britain tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

English Heart, a review would be great. The other side of the pond has to wait another week.

I understand this movie is to be released in the States on October 10th. It had great reviews at Cannes and I am looking forward to seeing this film on an incredible band and frontman. I can only imagine what this band could have been if Ian was around long enough. What would the Smiths be if they were still together? Before Cobain, there was Curtis. Before Marr and Morrissey, there were Curtis and Hook. His lyrics were so deeply intense it is hard to compare him with anyone. Morrissey uses wit, sarcasm, humor, and touches of social awareness for his genius. Curtis used his soul.

Does anyone know where this film is being released? I live in Chicago and wonder if it will be playing in my town.

It's going to be playing at the Music Box Theater starting October 26th through November 1. I am definitely going!

Oh, wow. That's too bad... I will be in New York that weekend- the nanny is booked for the 3rd of Nov, but it will be gone by then.

You have a nanny??? Not a babysitter, a nanny??? Are you rich or something?? ;)

It's going to be playing at the Music Box Theater starting October 26th through November 1. I am definitely going!

Excellent information-Music Box is a special place!! 24 Hour Party People touched on this point in time, but this release is what JD fans have been looking forward to for a long time. I didn't even realize there was that much interest in this film beyond my egocentric self in Chicago. Very cool....I saw New Order at the Aragon Ballroom almost two years ago and they finally played JD songs the way there were written. That was a special night. Kind of like Morrissey at the Vic when he decided to play Shoplifters-very cool.

English Heart, a review would be great. The other side of the pond has to wait another week.

Loved it! It's a quiet film with sharp visuals but sounds like they're coming from next to your ear. I found it really atmospheric and convincing without it swaying my sympathies in one obvious direction. I think you'll enjoy it. :cool:

I liked it:Sam Riley is great as Curtis.

I would have liked to hear more from "Closer"

But well worth going to.
The photography,as would be expected from Corbijn,is beautiful

I am actually going to get off my bum and go and see this, I'm really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom