Control-Bio Movie on Ian Curtis/Joy Division

The film is alot more objective than the book in my opinion, which is why it's so good. I read the book recently (after seeing Control) and she does paint him as a complete dick at times.

Yes, Corbijn met Ian and he was a huge fan. He portrays Ian as the tormented soul he no doubt was, but without most of the negatives described in Deborah's book (though he is repressive and 'cold' in a few instances). I think it is a very balanced portrayal.

If anything, if you're a New Order-fan, I wouldn't be too happy about the portrayal of the other three. They come accross as not too bright, to put it mildly.

How did you find out where it's playing, other than in LA & NYC? I can't find anything on IMDB or the movie's official site. I've asked this before, but maybe the eighth time's a charm...

I've got inside connections!

10/10
New York- Film Forum

10/19
Los Angeles- Landmark NuArt 500 seats

10/26
Los Angeles- The Landmark (moves over from NuArt)
Chicago- Music Box
Philadelphia- Landmark Ritz
San Francisco- Landmark Lumiere
Berkeley- Landmark Shattuck
Boston- Landmark Kendall Square
Detroit- Landmark Main Art
Seattle- Landmark Metro
Denver- Landmark Starz Filmcenter
St. Louis- Landmark Tivoli

11/2
Dallas- Landmark Inwood
Washington DC- Landmark E-Street
Atlanta- Landmark Midtown
Minneapolis- Landmark Lagoon
San Diego- Landmark Ken
Houston - Landmark

11/9
Pittsburgh - Squirrel Hill

Yes, Corbijn met Ian and he was a huge fan. He portrays Ian as the tormented soul he no doubt was, but without most of the negatives described in Deborah's book (though he is repressive and 'cold' in a few instances). I think it is a very balanced portrayal.

If anything, if you're a New Order-fan, I wouldn't be too happy about the portrayal of the other three. They come accross as not too bright, to put it mildly.

And the movie Chinster isn't near as good looking as the real one!

10/10
New York- Film Forum

10/19

10/26
Chicago- Music Box
Seattle- Landmark Metro

11/2
Dallas- Landmark Inwood
San Diego- Landmark Ken
Houston - Landmark

11/9

I just drove by the theater -my kids go to school right there- and it says SOON CONTROL on the front of the marquee. How Soon Is Friday? :) I'm gonna try hard to go.

It isn't playing in Cleveland as far as I know. The closest to here it's playing is Pittsburgh! I'm going to have to drive two hours to see it now and I vowed to NEVER go back to Pittsburgh! Curse you Ian Curtis (okay, not really b/c I still want to have your ghost baby)!

I think it should end up in Cleveland soon enough. The Cedar-Lee theater should get at least for a week. I hope it plays here would like to see it again.

Thanks to all the reviewers and dates. I cannot remember when I was so excited to see a film on the big screen-well, maybe except for Gigli.

Ian Curtis bio movie vs. Morrissey live-hmmm....very, very close call. Ian Curtis bio movie vs. Johnny Marr w/Modest Mouse....Curtis wins.
Ian Curtis bio movie vs. The Smiths Reunited...see you in the front row.

I think it should end up in Cleveland soon enough. The Cedar-Lee theater should get at least for a week. I hope it plays here would like to see it again.

It better play in Cleveland! I've been waiting on this film for over a year now. I'm mad that my best friend (who plays Chinster in our band) will see it before me!

Have you seen the movie Control yet?

Have you seen it?

Will you cry? Do you care if others see you in public cry? Sue me then because, I will. Being overly-emotional can be normal at times.

What did you think of it?

I'm going tomorrow night and I can't wait. Joy Division will live on forever in some people's lives.

Awwww Control is such an amazing movie. Anyone who goes to see it will surely love it. :) But it sucks that it only played in one cinema in the whole of Northern Ireland. :( Nevertheless, it was amazing.

Re: Have you seen the movie Control yet?

Have you seen it?

Will you cry? Do you care if others see you in public cry? Sue me then because, I will. Being overly-emotional can be normal at times.

What did you think of it?

I'm going tomorrow night and I can't wait. Joy Division will live on forever in some people's lives.

I've not seen it. I'm going to drive 2 hours to see it if I must because I refuse to wait for the dvd. I will definitely cry and I bet I'll start crying far from the end of the movie. I don't really care if people see me cry, but I hope there aren't a bunch of indie snobs who don't car about JD/Ian a fraction as much as I do who give me dirty looks for it! Joy Division will always be part of my life. Although, I'm upset because if I weren't a girl I totally would have won the part of Ian in the film!

I saw it on Friday night at the Ritz Bourse with a good friend. We did get "emotional" but, it was when we talked about it in the car. I had to go to the restroom SOOOO bad once the movie began but, I held it in the entire time. LOL I didn't want to miss any part of it all.

It was very, very touching and yet, so tragic. I felt very, very horrible and only wished the man could've received help. God Bless his family and friends remaining however.

I totally and thoroughly recommend you seeing it mainly because it teaches respect for EVERYONE and how life is so precious....

I really enjoyed it - particularly the live performances, which I thought were brilliant - and the evocation of the grimy 70s (which I can just about remember). I thought the depiction of his suicide was a bit presumptuous, though, since no-one else was there. It should really have been left to the viewer's imagination.

Oh no! I've just given away the end!

I didn't know that it was still playing in NYC until Saturday night after the show, and by then it was too late. I'm pissed that I didn't look it up in advance. It would have been far preferable to spending the day with relatives in Jersey. :mad:

I went to see it on Tuesday night & it has taken a few days for the full impact of it to really 'sink in'. I thought Samantha Morton was fantastic but Sam Riley (playing Ian) reminded me more of Pete Doherty (and this distracted me a little).

At the end there were a few girls in front of me openly sobbing. The friend I was with just thought it showed Ian as a 'bastard' & didn't fully contextualize the reasons for his suicide.

Really thinking of going & seeing it again though....

As for the events leading up to the suicide, its my understanding that certain things were known, such as the record he listened to, that he watched TV etc

10/10
New York- Film Forum

10/19

10/26
Chicago- Music Box
Seattle- Landmark Metro

11/2
Dallas- Landmark Inwood
San Diego- Landmark Ken
Houston - Landmark

11/9

Pittsburgh is gonna be cancelled :rolleyes:

I went to see it on Tuesday night & it has taken a few days for the full impact of it to really 'sink in'. I thought Samantha Morton was fantastic but Sam Riley (playing Ian) reminded me more of Pete Doherty (and this distracted me a little).

Indeed, Sam's next performance is as Pete Doherty in the new biopic 'Skag and Bone Man.'

Back
Top Bottom