Contest: Win ‘Hand in Glove: Smiths Tribute’

The Seeker of Good Songs

Contest: Win ‘Hand in Glove: Smiths Tribute’

smithstribute_crop.jpg

We may still be taking entries for this month’s Retro:Active 7 — Rare & Remixed giveaway, but we’ve got another great contest lined up: Our friends at 24 Hour Service Station are providing us with three copies of their brand-new Hand in Glove: The Smiths Tribute to give away to Slicing Up Eyeballs readers.
The Florida-based label is the same one that put out the New Order tribute we gave away earlier this year; this new salute to The Smiths features 14 classics — including “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out,” “I Know It’s Over” and “Reel Around the Fountain” — covered by indie acts such as Vampire Slayers, Thee Chinadoll and Skinnys 21 (see the full tracklist and hear Vanilla Swingers’ cover of “Hand in Glove” below).
And here’s the kicker: This is actually a digital-only release — you can buy it on iTunes — but the label has pressed up a limited number of promotional CDs, so the winners of this contest will actually receive the album on an old-fashioned compact disc.
To enter, simply leave a comment at the bottom of this post — if you’re feeling inspired, you can also tell us what your favorite Smiths song is, and why. As always, be sure to use a real e-mail address, since that’s how winners will be notified. We’ll accept entries — from anywhere in the world — through noon Eastern time on Sept. 24.

Vanilla Swingers, “Hand In Glove” (The Smiths cover)

smithstribute_small.jpg

Tracklist: Hand in Glove: The Smiths Tribute
1. “Hand In Glove,” Vanilla Swingers
2. “Paint A Vulgar Picture,” True Tone
3. “What Difference Does It Make,” Vampire Slayers
4. “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side,” Home
5. “Frankly Mr. Shankly,” Questionface
6. “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me,” Pulse
7. “Death Of A Disco Dancer,” Loomer
8. “This Night Has Opened My Eyes,” Underwater
9. “Handsome Devil,” I Buried Paul
10. “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others,” Skinnys 21