Considering going veggie

Right Whinger

Don't know if any Morrissey fans can help me out here. I am considering going vegetarian but am really concerned about not getting the right minerals/vitamins/proteins inside me. I have eaten meat for all of my 31 years so its a big step for me.

Am not wanting to start a veggie v carnivore row, just looking for some advice that's all.

I would suggest making a trial period - for a month for example. Don't tell yourself that "this is the last time I ever eat meat!". Just "I don't eat meat till the 3rd of July" and see how it goes. Treat it like a game. Chances are you'll find out that you feel better staying off meat.
You will actually probably get more vitamins and minerals, as you'll have to eat more vegs instead.
Eat plenty of beans and soy (tofu and things like that, but not the disgusting soy meat surrogates!), they have a lot of protein and also milk products like cheese and yogurts.

I don't think that you should stop eating meat completely once you start going veggie but have a transition period. Like first you can start eating vegetarian food once a week, the other week twice a week, then three times a week etc. This way I think the chances you will succeed are better, also I don't think it's healthy to immediately go from a carnivorious diet to a strict vegetarian one. I had a transition period of about six months. The most important thing is not to rush it. And as a speaker said before me, quorn is a perfect meat-substitue.

I did it 5 years ago (or so) and I'm much more happy now. I'm 30. I'm vegetarian and I'm planning to become vegan. I think you have to do it quietly, step by step. ;)

I haven't missed meat since I gave it up more-or-less on spur of the moment 8-9 years ago (long before ever hearing of Morrissey). I agree with Sister though, if you think it's going to be a challenge, don't tell yourself 'I will never eat meat again', instead be firm with yourself about not eating it for a specific amount of time, and you're almost guaranteed to feel better and want to stay off the meat.

Veggies will give you more vitamins, so no need to worry about that... I have always been a multivitamin-eater, though. My biggest sources of protein are:
-beans (especially pinto, black, and garbanzo)
-eggs or egg whites
-tofu
-soymilk
-natural peanut butter! and other nuts / nut butters
-some soy meat is really good - I recommend veggie buffalo wings from both Morningstar Farms and Health is Wealth
-whole grain breads and pastas; people often forget that wheat has good protein

I'm not especially big on milk, but if you are, it's a good protein source too of course. Some soymilks have just as much protein, too.

Good luck with it! Moz would be proud of you. :)

xo, math+

Math Tinder said:
-some soy meat is really good - I recommend veggie buffalo wings from both Morningstar Farms and Health is Wealth

Morningstar Farms and Gardenburger also put out some other really good specialty veggie burgers that are not just the plain soy meatless patties to which Sister is referring. I am particularly fond of the Black Bean Burger (Morningstar Farms) and Gardenburger's Portabella one. Gardenburger also has black bean and sun-dried tomato basil burger varieties (among others).

Although these brands (and others like Boca) may seem expensive in some of the natural/organic stores (like Whole Foods, etc. in U.S.), many standard grocery stores are carrying them these days, and they are usually a much better buy. Also, many times you can get private label store brands - even of these specialty veggie burgers (not just the plain soy burgers) - that are actually quite good (like mushroom/cheddar, for example). A lot of times the price is can be around 40% less than the branded variety.

The great thing about these veggie burgers is that they are so versatile (especially with all of the variety of them out there) and in anything you would normally use meat, instead add in the diced veggie patty. I do this commonly with pizza, pasta, and burritos/enchiladas. But it can be any dish really!

To add onto the suggestions made about Morningstar burgers and meatless foods, Morningstar also makes this thing called "Grillers" which are crumbly bits of soy that are supposed to taste like ground beef or something (I wouldn't know exactly what since i've been veggie all my life :) I find it adds a great deal of substance to pasta meals, casseroles, pizza and tastes really good too. Going veggie really isn't all that hard! But if you are hesitant, a trial period is a good idea. Good luck!

no one in particular said:
I am particularly fond of the Black Bean Burger (Morningstar Farms)

I agree those are so good, my mom also loves them. They also came out with veggie steak and chicken strips which I used on salads. Going totally veggie needs to be a gradual process. It took me awhile at first since I had no idea what to eat. It's alot easier now.

i think your success in going veg will depend upon how adventurous you are in foods.

sure, morrissey is the exception since about all he eats is pasta and cheese, but he's got motivation because the PETA people will take him out and execute him if they catch him with a ham sandwich.

but if it's a dietary choice for you, there is a whole world out there of yummies that will distract you from meat. Indian food is a good one, as is Asian food, but there are also plenty of meat substitutes in the supermarkets and i really prefer veggie chicken to the fake beef products. take a bite of that and i swear you will go running to check the box to make sure you bought the right thing.

anyway, i've barely worried about my protein intake and i'm healthy. interestingly enough, a few years ago i quit stocking up on milk and have replaced it with soy. interestingly enough, since about that time i made the switch, i've barely been sick. i haven't had a single cold in 4 years, and maybe all that has something to do with the antibiotics and hormones they pump into milk because i think i've heard that too many antibiotics can make your immune system a bit sluggish.

I've recently been trying Dr. Pruegers (not sure about the spelling) products including these oat burgers. Very tasty and different. Plus, it's mainly oat (some soy). I try to avoid soy only becasue, being vegetarian, I'm going to eat a lot of it anyways (just today i had chinese food with tofu). So for example, I drink Almond Milk instead of Soy Milk. Also everyone should try to eat less of those frozen foods like Prugers and Morningstar simply becaus of the high sodium and other bad shit found in all prepared frozen foods.

My main suggestion for anyone trying to go vegetarian or vegan and want to be educated on the nutrition....buy the book "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. It is a "vegan" book but they compare all the nutritional data and information to various meats and dairy products. Being only vegetarian myself i have no problems with it being a vegan book. the matter of fact i prefer it. The authors also together wrote a book called "Becoming Vegetarian", but i never read it so i can't comment about it. I would still get the "Becoming Vegan" book--since it's probably more comprehensive.

Read the important chapters a few times and you'll know more about nutrition than wht most meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans know. Buy the book and you won't be one of those vegetarians or vegans that fail becasue they didn't bother to re-educate themselves on how to properly eat (like my brother). becasue remember we (born meat eaters) have been educated more or less by our parents and schooling on how to eat a meat based diet. educate yourself on the veg diet, the veg pyramid, and the essential nutritional concerns for a vegetarian(vegan), and it will be a very easy and fulfilling transition. It really isn't hard.

So buy the book--it also makes a good gift for anyone who is veg or wants to become one.

My Dad Raised Us Veggie's, We Did Quite Well.

Now Its A Different Story, But You Could Do It.

You'll Probably Be Healthier
There Are People That Have To Stop Eating Meat Do To Their Colesterol Too.

Have You Herd Of That?

Thanks for all the wonderful advice and opinions.

Tesco.com is coming to deliver my weekly shopping tonight and for the first time there is no meat at all.

I have made a plan of veggie meals to eat for the week, there are some very tasty ones I cant wait to cook up. I am not going to stop eating meat completely but I am going to cook veggie at home and see how I go.

Again thanks for the tips!

Right Whinger said:
Thanks for all the wonderful advice and opinions.

Tesco.com is coming to deliver my weekly shopping tonight and for the first time there is no meat at all.

I have made a plan of veggie meals to eat for the week, there are some very tasty ones I cant wait to cook up. I am not going to stop eating meat completely but I am going to cook veggie at home and see how I go.

Again thanks for the tips!

You're going to keep us posted on how you like those veggie meals this week, right? ;)

Even healthier than a veggie diet is a diet consisting solely of fruits and nuts, aka fruitarian diet. You'll get more than enough of the required nutrients and plenty of protein. Try a diet consisting of the following:

bananas
avocados
mango
papaya
pineapple
kiwi
oranges
watermelon
cantelope
all types of berries
apples
pears
tomatoes
squash
zucchini
red/orange peppers
cucumbers (remember, anything seed bearing is technically a fruit, not a vegetable)
almonds (major protein! even moreso than the meat you're accustomed to)
brazil nuts
peanuts (raw peanuts contain 26% protein!)
hazelnuts
cashews
pumpkin & sunflower seeds

After just week on this diet you'll feel a major difference in your health. More energy, more stamina, clarity of mind. Your body will thank you!

Back
Top Bottom