Consequence Of Sound: "Our 2022 Annual Report continues with the announcement of Andrew Watt as our Producer of the Year." (December 12, 2022)

2022producer_Watt_1200x675.jpg

Consequence of Sound has named Andrew Watt as its Producer of the Year for 2022. Full article linked here, the only Morrissey quote as follows:

Untitled.jpg

(Obviously, I'm not taking the Feb 2023 release date too seriously...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la,
Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Oh Jack, oh Jack, oh sweet baby Jack,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack, any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Tra la la la, tra la la la,
Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack , anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear
I see this as Moz comparing himself to someone who lives to write and a sort of prequel to ‘We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful’

Recording with Watt must have been a refreshing experience for M, but obviously not one that he anytime soon wants to repeat, judging by him going back to Joe C and back into a ‘proper’ recording studio.

I wonder if Joe will listen to Bonfire? And what he honestly thinks of it.

Can’t wait/must wait for Bonfire.

Kinda wonderin' why Moz didn't sign with A Watt's label.
At least to release Bonfire.
Thought I read somewhere that A Watt was the one who
sought Moz out to record, so maybe signin' Moz to his
label was the idea all along.
Maybe A Watt started his label after seein' the Dipsy Doodle
that Moz went through with gettin' Bonfire released.
Somethin' ain't addin' up.

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack, any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack , anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear
I can't tell if this is a joke or not

I wonder if scheduling is why Joe wasn’t able to produce BoT. It was a strange time to record an album, M could have waited, but it seemed important for him to get into a studio and do it, which may be one of his reasons for choosing Watt.

Miley Cyrus might've had something to do with the choice.

Anyway, I'm happy he's moving on. BOT is getting stale and no way an album that has Kerouac's Crack and Sure Enough on it is anywhere near Morrissey's best. If he still has a contract with Capitol, perhaps they should concentrate on the next album and let Morrissey put out BOT independently.
I must live on a different planet than ~50% of posters here, because all of the BOT songs we’ve heard so far are amazing.

And I’m not just blindly cheering it because it’s Moz: I really hated every song on IANADOAC except for “What Kind of People”.

I do think some of Morrissey’s lyrical wit is missing on the tracks we’ve heard. But they sound great. “Telephone Rings” is super punk and catchy. “Kerouac’s Crack”— I think it’s a bit soothing and a fine song. I catch myself singing it to myself in the car all the time. Borrow Burroughs, Sit on Ginsberg!

You can say safely that even the lowest track on BOT trumps the best of anything that will come out in 2023, and you couldn’t say that with Dog.

I really hope it gets released. I found that I don't like his albums since Quarry (just personal preference), so I thought that the "late" Morrissey is not my kind of taste. But the songs I heard from BOT were all really catchy somehow and although the lyrics still aren't as great as they once were I really like the songs. Hearing it live with his really good voice has certainly contributed to that. So it would be really sad if we never get the studio version although the release quality of RWA made me a bit anxious (but I've only listened to the spotify version)
You don't like I Am Not A Dog On A Chain?

Interesting that this interview was just before thanksgiving (24th Nov) and the release delay was announced on the 14th Nov.

That's a wonderful comment, interesting to hear he records in only one or two takes, at least for BOT.
This practice goes back to The Smiths days.
(Except when John Porter had him sing one line at a time for ‘Reel Around the Fountian’…I think that was the track)

You don't like I Am Not A Dog On A Chain?

No, it just isn't my cup of tea. Strange modern sound that doesn't go together well with his voice. No particularly exciting lyrics and no real highlight for me, although "My hurling days are done" sounds really really awesome live.

I could say more but you get the general idea...at the end its really personal preference, it's cool that he tried a modern sound on IANADOAC and a lot of people really like it but it just doesn't work for me personally. The songs on BOT however just suit him and his voice and everything sounds so natural and catchy. I think it's a good album for everybody, the one's that like the new stuff and the people that like the older stuff of him

His voice is also unrecognisable at the beginning of It's Over on California Son, which is more deliberate, I think, and works well for the song.

the very first line ‘your baby doesn’t love you, anymore’ is sung by the artist LP. I assume that’s what your referring to.

No, it just isn't my cup of tea. Strange modern sound that doesn't go together well with his voice. No particularly exciting lyrics and no real highlight for me, although "My hurling days are done" sounds really really awesome live.

I could say more but you get the general idea...at the end its really personal preference, it's cool that he tried a modern sound on IANADOAC and a lot of people really like it but it just doesn't work for me personally. The songs on BOT however just suit him and his voice and everything sounds so natural and catchy. I think it's a good album for everybody, the one's that like the new stuff and the people that like the older stuff of him
Dog is my favourite album he's done since Maladjusted. As far as BOT goes what I've heard so far doesn't excite me but I do like the sound of Veronica and Rebels.

Historically yes, but listening to the vocal production of Rebels..., he should ask for a refund.
The vocals are superior to the lyrics, and the music is the most Smiths ever. Guess you wanted him to not evolve. His voice has improved so much since The Smiths days.

The vocals are superior to the lyrics, and the music is the most Smiths ever. Guess you wanted him to not evolve. His voice has improved so much since The Smiths days.
I was talking about the vocal production.

"..and the music is the most Smiths ever. Guess you wanted him to not evolve."

Do you know what you have actually written here?

the very first line ‘your baby doesn’t love you, anymore’ is sung by the artist LP. I assume that’s what your referring to.
Thanks for clarifying, KS. First time I heard of that artist. She's lively! Reminds me a little of Amanda Palmer. It must be so exciting and fun to be collaborating with so many diverse creative folk. I think I'll try and be a singer next time I'm re-incarnated, though it may require relocating to a planet B. If I get there, I'm come back to Moz-solo and give you directions ; )

Thanks for clarifying, KS. First time I heard of that artist. She's lively! Reminds me a little of Amanda Palmer. It must be so exciting and fun to be collaborating with so many diverse creative folk. I think I'll try and be a singer next time I'm re-incarnated, though it may require relocating to a planet B. If I get there, I'm come back to Moz-solo and give you directions ; )

:lbf: yes directions please !

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom