computer problems (geeks needed)

mozzette

I think my PSU blew out. It made a crackling noise and went off...does this sound like the PSU? When it blows does it take out the motherboard too? Anyone here know what to do? Has it happened to you? I'm not really computer literate so it's all a bit :confused:
Pretty damn pissed off though! :tears:

I think my PSU blew out. It made a crackling noise and went off...does this sound like the PSU? When it blows does it take out the motherboard too? Anyone here know what to do? Has it happened to you? I'm not really computer literate so it's all a bit :confused:
Pretty damn pissed off though! :tears:

You mean CPU? Seems more likely to be the monitor. Can you still turn the computer on?

Yeah the comp still powers on...I don't think it's the monitor as there is a burning smell coming from the actual computer tower. I cleaned the whole thing out and found a new power cord (with the same amp fuse as the old one). I don't know whether to disconnect the PSU (I don't think it's the CPU) from the motherboard and drives to test it...I hate farting on with electrical stuff in case it goes bang.

Awww y'all crap with computers fair enough...I'll figure it out some how, hopefully without electrocuting myself :D

Yeah the comp still powers on...I don't think it's the monitor as there is a burning smell coming from the actual computer tower. I cleaned the whole thing out and found a new power cord (with the same amp fuse as the old one). I don't know whether to disconnect the PSU (I don't think it's the CPU) from the motherboard and drives to test it...I hate farting on with electrical stuff in case it goes bang.

Opening your computer and replacing the PSU is easy. Make sure you are grounded first, then simply open up the computer case and take out the PSU with a screwdriver. It's just a box that slides in and out of the case with a few easy connectors. You can buy a new one at Best Buy or any other store that sells components. Check the power wattage on the one you had and get an identical one so you have enough power (and don't blow out the motherboard). Hooking it up isn't too big of a deal if you follow the instructions.

I don't know if it fried the motherboard or not, but buying a new power supply and testing it out is a cheap way to find out. I suspect it didn't hurt the motherboard. When motherboards die they make a horrible sequence of long beeps which, as anyone who has heard it will attest, is unmistakably a death rattle. I heard it once and it was so obviously finished that I couldn't stop myself from laughing at whoever programmed my PC to sound like R2-D2 falling into a giant trash compactor. There's no doubt when the motherboard is dead.

While you have the case open you should also check that all the fans are clean and operating properly. Also check the area where you've put your case. Make sure there is enough ventilation for the unit. The failure of the PSU may be a result of old age, but it may also be a victim of environmental factors.

Last edited:
I don't know if it fried the motherboard or not, but buying a new power supply and testing it out is a cheap way to find out. I suspect it didn't hurt the motherboard. When motherboards die they make a horrible sequence of long beeps which, as anyone who has heard it will attest, is unmistakably a death rattle. I heard it once and it was so obviously finished that I couldn't stop myself from laughing at whoever programmed my PC to sound like R2-D2 falling into a giant trash compactor. There's no doubt when the motherboard is dead.

Hahahaha...I now have renewed hope for the fate of my dormant, abandoned previous motherboard - since it did NOT make these noises.:D
(ooh - jinx:rolleyes:):pray:

p.s. good luck, mozzette!

Opening your computer and replacing the PSU is easy. Make sure you are grounded first, then simply open up the computer case and take out the PSU with a screwdriver. It's just a box that slides in and out of the case with a few easy connectors. You can buy a new one at Best Buy or any other store that sells components. Check the power wattage on the one you had and get an identical one so you have enough power (and don't blow out the motherboard). Hooking it up isn't too big of a deal if you follow the instructions.

While you have the case open you should also check that all the fans are clean and operating properly. Also check the area where you've put your case. Make sure there is enough ventilation for the unit. The failure of the PSU may be a result of old age, but it may also be a victim of environmental factors.

Thank you SO much! I think I might just try the PSU from this PC in mine. This one is a higher wattage (mines 400w this one is 570w) but that should be ok as it's only lower wattages that blow the motherboard yeah?

Anyway, wish me luck *cringe*

Sorted it! Didn't lose anything but has made me want to BACK UP everything!
Bit of soldering in the PSU and done....thanks for your help anyhow. :)

Back
Top Bottom