Morrissey Central COMPULSIVE FOOTNOTES (Sep. 8, 2020)

full

Rosalie Crutchley (above) who played the part of the startling Mrs. Dudley in the magnificent 1963 version of ‘The Haunting’ (MGM), also played the part of the housekeeper in the 1980s version of ‘The Norwood Builder’, a television Sherlock Holmes drama shot entirely at Beechmount, starring Jeremy Brett

Julie Harris, who appeared in the East Of Eden clip posted on Central September 5, also starred in The Haunting, so maybe he's starting the spooky season early this year...?

Last edited by a moderator:
The episode provides some glimpses at the premises and the interior of Beechmount as well.

He talked about it in a 1997 KROQ radio interview.

J: Did you see the Granada television, Jeremy Brett TV shows?
M: It's actually called Granada. The interesting thing about this program is that they filmed one of them, would you believe it — in my house. And it's fascinating because they did an entire episode of short films in my house. They used the house for the series.

J: Which episode was it?
M: It was the episode where there's a tramp, a hobo, who is at the top of the house, and he's living at the top of the house. For some reason he causes a fire in this attic loft and he goes on fire. Are you familiar with that one?

J: It's like a hidden room, on top of the house...
M: That's right.

J: I can't remember the episode right now... So I take it, it's like a farm house?
M: It's just a very big old Victorian house. It's from 1854.

J: I have a Queen Anne! 1894.
M: Not good enough. Passé, Queen Anne is passé at the moment (laughs). But she might come back.

J: What type of Victorian do you have? There's Italianate, there's like 4 or 5 kinds...
M: Is there? I thought there was just Victorian.

J: Oh gosh (laughs), now you're being a fool! There's like 6 different kinds of Victorians.
M: Really?

J: There's a Queen Anne Victorian, Italianate Victorian, Colonial Victorian, and then they of course combine them. Italianates are the ones with the flat roofs.
M: Yes, right.

J: The Queen Anne's are the ones with the turrets and porches and gingerbread-type stuff (laughs).
M: Yes...

J: 106.7 KROQ, Morrissey up here dissing my 1894 Queen Anne!

Last edited:
I've seen all the Granada S.H. episodes, love them. Huge fan of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock. Had no idea that episode was shot at Beech Mount.
...Bloody hell, a Central post that actually interests me! (-Did you really think I was going to watch a homemade video with Dummy Dean in it? :rolleyes: ...'Course you didn't.)

Love this stuff. Love Morrissey, the walking, talking obscure pop cultural encyclopedia. And how bizarre that they shot that episode in his very house. Presumably before he bought it?

Love this stuff. Love Morrissey, the walking, talking obscure pop cultural encyclopedia. And how bizarre that they shot that episode in his very house. Presumably before he bought it?
Yes, the episode was filmed there in 1984, I believe, and he moved in in 1989.

This is a stretch. In fact it's a stretccchhhh but.... I posted a comment on the 'Julie Harris hand in glove' thread to say she also starred in The Haunting. I included a photo of Julie staring at her hand, which was not in a glove. I thought my post was funny. I often amuse myself.

Am I an egotistical maniac for thinking (hoping) that Moz or someone in his camp peruses Moz Solo?

I've seen all the Granada S.H. episodes, love them. Huge fan of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock. Had no idea that episode was shot at Beech Mount.
...Bloody hell, a Central post that actually interests me! (-Did you really think I was going to watch a homemade video with Dummy Dean in it? :rolleyes: ...'Course you didn't.)
Jeremy Brett went through personal hell at the time the series of 41 episodes were filmed. You can see the pain in his eyes and face. He invested so much into the role that he dreamt and later nightmared about Holmes, referring to the character as "HIM". He said "Holmes has become the dark side of the moon for me".

Brett's wife claims he left her for a man. His partner Gary Bond died one month after Brett died. Jeremy was on lithium (for bipolar disorder) which affected his appearance and behaviour later in the series.

I think Moz's next album should be called 'HIM' and feature the striking Jeremy Brett on the cover. Oh wait it's Ringleader Of The Tormentors!

220px-Jeremy_Brett_as_Sherlock_Holmes.jpg

How about this one:
latest

Interesting that M referred to it as his house in the KROQ interview. He obviously bought it and put in his mum's name to keep Joyce's hands off it .

Evil legal eagles.

Interesting that M referred to it as his house in the KROQ interview. He obviously bought it and put in his mum's name to keep Joyce's hands off it .

Evil legal eagles.
Yes. Another fine example of Morrissey’s shrewd business sense. He doesn’t pay his debts. He doesn’t pay his taxes. ...and he’d do ANYTHING to circumvent payment of Mike Joyce’s court ordered settlement for his most-excellent contribution to and membership in The Smiths.

...yet Steve plays the victim card, through his weak media presence and continues to rely on the wallets of the daft to support his vodka, cashmere and Kerrygold lifestyle.

The similarities between Steve and POTUS 45 are an interesting study in character similarities among narcissists and sociopaths. Steve knows his base. He plays them like a fiddle. With every additional “reissue, repackage”, the man-child reaps another few quid from the rubes who buy into his nonsense.

You don’t have a choice. You’re a cult member. You’ve signed up. Buy the ticket. Take the ride. Drink the weak purple punch.

What a coincidence! I'm always looking for vintage things to watch and I recently found this same episode in season 2. You can download it here, Spanish subtitles included:

Jeremy Brett went through personal hell at the time the series of 41 episodes were filmed. You can see the pain in his eyes and face. He invested so much into the role that he dreamt and later nightmared about Holmes, referring to the character as "HIM". He said "Holmes has become the dark side of the moon for me".

Brett's wife claims he left her for a man. His partner Gary Bond died one month after Brett died. Jeremy was on lithium (for bipolar disorder) which affected his appearance and behaviour later in the series.

I think Moz's next album should be called 'HIM' and feature the striking Jeremy Brett on the cover. Oh wait it's Ringleader Of The Tormentors!

220px-Jeremy_Brett_as_Sherlock_Holmes.jpg

How about this one:
latest

I know, he sounds like a wonderful man, doesn't he.

...He could sing, he was a "Loveboat" guest star (I have to see that!), he was heir to the Cadbury family (not the best choc in the world, but nothing to sneeze at in case of famine), ...

Too much for one man, really.

AND looks like he didn't even have an entourage of slow wits to balance things out!!
... No wonder he didn't last. :(

Evil legal eagles.

It was described as his official address in the newspaper coverage of the court case, too.

I know, he sounds like a wonderful man, doesn't he.

...He could sing, he was a "Loveboat" guest star (I have to see that!), he was heir to the Cadbury family (not the best choc in the world, but nothing to sneeze at in case of famine), ...

Too much for one man, really.

AND looks like he didn't even have an entourage of slow wits to balance things out!!
... No wonder he didn't last. :(
Cadburys IS the best chocolate in my world. Having lived in Oz and US, nothing compares to it but maybe it's just cos I grew up with it. I love a chunky Dairy Milk bar.

Morrissey said:
The interesting thing about this program is that they filmed one of them, would you believe it — in my house.
Whose house? Hope HMRC don't visit this site.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom