Morrissey Central "Come writers and critics" (October 12, 2022)

Last edited:
According to the new states man "At a gig in south London, the singer seemed trapped by nostalgia for his early career"

huh? didn't he play four new songs?

Human progress is not linear. It is cyclical. Bob Dylan, with the wisdom of the poet, understands that important fact. You, clearly, do not.
This week's issue of Dublin Review of Books has an amazing review of Bob Dylan's 1966 concert in Belfast - https://drb.ie/the-big-boo/ Morrissey gets off very light compared to the shocking abuse Dylan put up from his audiences that year.

If anyone's into long reads, there's a couple of other brilliant fascinating pieces, one about Wittgenstein, the other about Seamus Deane's last book. Or let's wait instead for more giddy gig reviews!

According to the new states man "At a gig in south London, the singer seemed trapped by nostalgia for his early career"

Yep. And six Smiths songs. And four more from 1991 or earlier. Seems a fair observation to me.

Maybe he should have played more newer tracks, so they can write "At a gig in south London, the singer seemed unwilling play the classic songs."
That's more than likely. But it doesn't make what that person actually wrote biased or untrue. Or an insult for that matter - given the bulk of his output the last 20 years, I'd be glad he's trapped by nostalgia for his early career. Better setlists for sure.

Good grief. One brief tour where he kept his mouth shut and nothing bad happened, and he's back at it. Quoting another artist's lyrics as a backwards version of 'I told you so'. How embarrassing.

This post is exactly the kind of response you see on social media from right-wing f***nuts every time a fellow right-wing f***nut gets close to power in a country other than the UK or US.

He just doesn't learn does he?
Totally agree.
His silence speaks volume. This tin pot tour doesn’t prove anything.
We know for a fact it wasn’t a sell out.
The album was put out there for the highest bidder and LOL there was no interest.
This little tour was just a desperate exercise with smoke and mirrors to try and attract some investment. Nobody wants to touch him now though given the last several albums have been very disappointing and poor.
He’s also shit scared to give interviews to the media because he doesn’t make sense or in fact tell the truth anymore.
The death of a has been pop performer :rofl:

Benny 🇬🇧:knife:

I think people are tired of cancel culture, and those who never supported it were afraid to speak up for fear of the mob. But I think people have come to realize cancel culture is not based in fact, but emotion and and the people supporting it never walked the walk - it was all a big lie, they did not adhere to their own 'standards'.

Last edited:
Good grief. One brief tour where he kept his mouth shut and nothing bad happened, and he's back at it. Quoting another artist's lyrics as a backwards version of 'I told you so'. How embarrassing.

This post is exactly the kind of response you see on social media from right-wing f***nuts every time a fellow right-wing f***nut gets close to power in a country other than the UK or US.

He just doesn't learn does he?
Your post doesn't make any sense

It seems like a perfect opportunity to add Reader Meet Author to the setlist, even if most journalists will not get the point of it.

It also happens to be one of my absolute favourite Morrissey songs of all time! I saw it played live at the Battersea concert in '97. Makes me wonder when it was last played. Hmmm? It was also playing in the car stereo whilst driving along some hot dusty road in Mallorca in 2009. Funny how a song can come on at a certain time and you never forget that moment isn't it?

Where'd you get that guff from? If it's cyclical, how come we don't dip back to living in caves now and then? Will there be a run on Penny Farthings soon?

Progress is going forwards, not round and round in circles. The human race has progressed for centuries and will continue to do so, with or without boring old farts trying to stop it cos it was 'better in my day'.
But not all 'progress' is beneficial - sometimes what we call 'progress' is detrimental. Morrissey was saying that as a young man - he is still saying it now. John Cleese (with Monty Python colleagues) made Life of Brian when he was 40 I think. He's 82 now. He was satirising closed minds and fundamentalism back in 1979. What has their age got to do with it? Judging by the crowd attending recent Morrissey concerts - lots of young people agree with his stance against received opinion.

He’s also shit scared to give interviews to the media because he doesn’t make sense
That doesn’t stop you, however, from spewing your nonsense here year after year. You’ve never made sense. Your aggressions, your vitriol and your hysteric ramblings are the obvious and sad fruits of a mental patient with access to Wi-Fi.

Yep - and 2 from Dog on a Chain, released in 2020. 6 recent songs isn't bad - and Bonfire is yet to even be released. If he had played all recent songs and no classics they would have written he had approached his fanbase with disdainful arrogance. He can't win.

That doesn’t stop you, however, from spewing your nonsense here year after year. You’ve never made sense. Your aggressions, your vitriol and your hysteric ramblings are the obvious and sad fruits of a mental patient with access to Wi-Fi.
Oh come on !!!! Is that the best you can do ????
Address the points I’ve put forward FFS !!!!!
This man has no gagging contract on me :brows:

Benny 🇬🇧:knife:

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom