Collecting "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"

I hope you are joking...

Sorry, but it's annoying when people refer to the song titles incorrectly (e.g. Big Mouth Strikes Again, First In The Gang To Die, Boy With A Thorn etc). It strikes me of that lazy journalism Morrissey constantly used to speak about when reviewers just said things like "...miserable Smiths and Morrissey" all the time. They just don't get it at all, or as Raphael Lambach said, they don't understand Morrissey's philosophy. The lyrics and song titles are an integral part to this whole philosophy and just by naming/spelling them differently puts a completely different slant on things. It seemed strange that someone here couldn't even get the name of the song right, that was all!

Sorry, but it's annoying when people refer to the song titles incorrectly (e.g. Big Mouth Strikes Again, First In The Gang To Die, Boy With A Thorn etc). It strikes me of that lazy journalism Morrissey constantly used to speak about when reviewers just said things like "...miserable Smiths and Morrissey" all the time. They just don't get it at all, or as Raphael Lambach said, they don't understand Morrissey's philosophy. The lyrics and song titles are an integral part to this whole philosophy and just by naming/spelling them differently puts a completely different slant on things. It seemed strange that someone here couldn't even get the name of the song right, that was all!

Umm, this isn't a magazine article or a review. We all new what Dave meant. If it offends you, don't read it, or go away. Have you ever seen a Morrissey set list? Why don't you call him lazy...

hi_2005_earls12_5.jpg

Umm, this isn't a magazine article or a review. We all new what Dave meant. If it offends you, don't read it, or go away. Have you ever seen a Morrissey set list? Why don't you call him lazy...

5nokg3.jpg
3564816834_edfbed64a0.jpg

Of all the sins I could be accused of, not bothering to type "in his side" must surely be the silliest.

Has anyone got anything to add to Stephane's page on his most wonderful and brilliant site?

Dave

I cannot believe that writing the whole name of any song will make you a fan or not;

Well it seems that some of you guys have missed my point entirely (and rather sadly)!

Especially you, Dave! Please note, I hadn't criticised you for leaving half the title off your quote, it was for your use of A instead of The in "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" (as originally quoted by Stephane).

You just can't see it can you?

Perhaps some of you need to revisit Simon Goddard's most fantastic "Songs That Saved Your Life" publication once again, for some further enlightenment.

Ah. Now I see. School boy error. No excuses. I'll get my coat...

Dave

Well it seems that some of you guys have missed my point entirely (and rather sadly)!

Especially you, Dave! Please note, I hadn't criticised you for leaving half the title off your quote, it was for your use of A instead of The in "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" (as originally quoted by Stephane).

Perhaps some of you need to revisit Simon Goddard's most fantastic "Songs That Saved Your Life" publication once again, for some further enlightenment.

Oh goodness Dave, how could you. Well, I guess that means you have to go back to Smiths 101 and repeat. ;) Like I said, we knew what Dave meant. SIdwell4 says"Oh my goodness, He typed A instead The. I must be a bigger fan than Dave. Hey mom, come check out what this guy wrote. He spelled the title of the song wrong." Sidewell4's mom says. "Good for you honey, you show him that you know more about The Smiths than him". " Are you ready for your chocolate milk dear"

Oh yeah, Sidwell4 it is spelled criticized not criticised

El douche O

Do you really think we need more enlightenment than we have or than you have? I am pretty sure we all can get over it and forget everything said in here. We're all adults and don't need comparing each other. Let's write 'bout luv not hate. Although Sidwell4 have really criticized Dave we don't need turning it up.

"Sweden 7" [Rough Trade RT191]
Sweden 12"[Rough Trade RTT191]
These 7" and 12" of "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" match perfectly their respective British counterparts, with the exception of the labels which are white instead of orange. The 7" has a solid centre, so it matches the British solid centre variation of the 7". There are no MNW or n©b logo on either the sleeve or label to establish without any doubt that these are actually for the Swedish (and by extension the Scandinavian) market, but just like other Swedish singles, they were both pressed in the UK and feature black and white versions of the British labels. Also, before the internet accelerated the international trading of collectibles, these were mostly obtainable from Swedish dealers."

I'm not 100% sure Swedish Smiths records were all pressed in the UK. The matrixes might match but besides the Strangeways... "Grammoplast Spånga" test pressing I have, I also missed a Swedish Sheila... 12" test pressing with identical "Grammoplast Spånga" labels not too long ago (grammoplast spånga is an old Swedish pressing plant). I think there might be more.

I'm not 100% sure Swedish Smiths records were all pressed in the UK.

Sorry about the confusion. I never meant to say they were all pressed in the UK. I said "just like other Swedish singles" as in "just like *some* other Swedish singles", not "just like *all* other Swedish singles". I'll rephrase it to make it less confusing.

Stephane

Was looking at a thread talking about posting items newly added to PJLM without really being declared, so thought I'd post it in this Collecting thread. I sent documentation on this 7" "factory sample" test pressing(?) to Stephane and he has updated the 'Boy' page to include it, though I don't know if the images have been posted yet:

Smiths-Thorn-FactorySampleA-side.jpg
Smiths-Thorn-FactorySampleB-side.jpg

UK 7" test pressing [Rough Trade RT191]
Test pressings of this single appear to be among the rarest for the Smiths. The only type reported at this point in time could have actually been used for very early and very limited promotional purposes. The record has a push-out centre (which is more commonly seen for promos). The a-side has a white label with a white and red "Factory Sample Not For Sale" sticker and a handwritten catalogue number. The b-side has no label.
RT 191A -1U-1-1-1 / RT 191B- 1U-1-1-1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom