Collecting moz/smiths stuff is driving me mad driving us mad?

COLLECTING MOZ/SMITHS STUFF IS DRIVING MY MAD.....DRIVING US MAD?​

I´m sure that I´m not the only one but this obsession of collecting everything that The Smiths and Morrissey puked in any imaginable format is damaging my economy and my inner peace in something that is starting to become a nightmare. The worst thing is that I CAN´T STOP. I´m an addict. Is never enough and always want more and more. Until now, around 4,000 pounds spent and despite is a "big" amount, I´m sure is nothing compared to others here. Who´s not entering to ebay everyday to catch the latest additions or to monitor your watch list? Amazon? Discogs? Perhaps re organizing your list checking at Vulgarpicture or the archives or PJLM? To collect this is already a monthly fixed liability on my finances. PROMOS, CASSETTES, 12"s, 7"s, CD´s (digipack, jewelcase, flipcase), posters, books, dvds, etc, etc, etc....

I´m sure I´m not the only one....What about YOU? I would like to hear some stories to get some relief...

By the way, does anyone has a copy of a HIG Negative sleeve or the test press of Reel around the fountain? I need it!!!!!!! ;) :D

COLLECTING MOZ/SMITHS STUFF IS DRIVING MY MAD.....DRIVING US MAD?​

I´m sure that I´m not the only one but this obsession of collecting everything that The Smiths and Morrissey puked in any imaginable format is damaging my economy and my inner peace in something that is starting to become a nightmare. The worst thing is that I CAN´T STOP. I´m an addict. Is never enough and always want more and more. Until now, around 4,000 pounds spent and despite is a "big" amount, I´m sure is nothing compared to others here. Who´s not entering to ebay everyday to catch the latest additions or to monitor your watch list? Amazon? Discogs? Perhaps re organizing your list checking at Vulgarpicture or the archives or PJLM? To collect this is already a monthly fixed liability on my finances. PROMOS, CASSETTES, 12"s, 7"s, CD´s (digipack, jewelcase, flipcase), posters, books, dvds, etc, etc, etc....

I´m sure I´m not the only one....What about YOU? I would like to hear some stories to get some relief...

By the way, does anyone has a copy of a HIG Negative sleeve or the test press of Reel around the fountain? I need it!!!!!!! ;) :D

Thanks for sharing this. I am not a collector. But I am interested in understanding the mindset of a collector. Do you collect other things as well? If not, why just The Smiths/Morrissey stuff? What sets them apart? You said you can't stop. Is this because you feel you have already invested so much into building a collection so why stop now? Or you you literally feel unable to stop as if you have obsessive compulsive disorder?

Thanks for sharing this. I am not a collector. But I am interested in understanding the mindset of a collector. Do you collect other things as well? If not, why just The Smiths/Morrissey stuff? What sets them apart? You said you can't stop. Is this because you feel you have already invested so much into building a collection so why stop now? Or you you literally feel unable to stop as if you have obsessive compulsive disorder?

We are all insane.
That's all you really need to know. :D

I have been collecting Smiths /Morrissey vinyl for 29 years ! since late 1984.. and I still do not have it all. I need about 15 pieces that I just cant find. Some [I know] are sitting in some record store in Spain or Italy or New Zealand in the bargain bins. But my issue is everything needs to be Mint condition. And its pretty rare to find a 25 year old record sleeve in that shape.
In the "old days" I would make my monthly drive 30+ miles to the bookstore and pick up my copy of Record Collector and Goldmine magazine many years before the internet and read them cover to cover. I also would put ads in the back of fanzines looking for Smiths vinyl. Every weekend I would hit every record convention there was in the area to get my hands on anything. That's when [It seemed like] there were much less people collecting and postage was cheap ! But those days are gone. Now you have ebay, PJLM and many other very cool and informative websites made by hardcore fans which I wish were around 20 years ago !
I have talked about selling everything off everything a few different times but I just cant seem to do it. I would not want to even think about breaking it up. But if there is some rich Smiths fan out there who would like the total package for the right price I might part with it.
I know what your going thru I been there. Moderation.
Many times I jumped and paid crazy amounts of $$ for something I thought I had to have at that moment or I would never see it again. But then a week, month or even a year goes by and I see the same item pop up again for 1/3 the price ! Good Luck with your collection.

Jeff

Well, I think is impossible to understand the mind of the collector because there´s no real explanation on why we collect something...maybe is just a personal insane satisfactor that we acquire when we get something that we been looking but at the end, that makes you more miserable because then you want another thing that you can´t get or afford...Personally, I´m an avid music fan but is just with Moz/Smiths that suddenly i discovered the beast in me...I´m 27 and I been his fan since more than 15 years but my collector addiction started last year when i moved to uk for a couple of months...then everything went out of proportion....and now...is never enough...is impossible to have everything and that makes you uncomforable or "incomplete"....i just collect moz/smiths things but with my music collection sometimes i´m starting to have this feeling that i "NEED" more...why? i cannot say...I just know that I can´t stop because like you said:

1. i already invested a lot and...
3. I love the man
2. compulsive disorder....despite some months, my finances are not so good, ebay drags me and suddenly I find myself buying something....

The real truth is that theres no explanation on why we collect...why morrissey? because it means so much to me and his lyrics are true lessons for my day life but at the end...is just the greed of wanting more and more...

Well, I think is impossible to understand the mind of the collector because there´s no real explanation on why we collect something...maybe is just a personal insane satisfactor that we acquire when we get something that we been looking but at the end, that makes you more miserable because then you want another thing that you can´t get or afford...Personally, I´m an avid music fan but is just with Moz/Smiths that suddenly i discovered the beast in me...I´m 27 and I been his fan since more than 15 years but my collector addiction started last year when i moved to uk for a couple of months...then everything went out of proportion....and now...is never enough...is impossible to have everything and that makes you uncomforable or "incomplete"....i just collect moz/smiths things but with my music collection sometimes i´m starting to have this feeling that i "NEED" more...why? i cannot say...I just know that I can´t stop because like you said:

1. i already invested a lot and...
3. I love the man
2. compulsive disorder....despite some months, my finances are not so good, ebay drags me and suddenly I find myself buying something....

The real truth is that theres no explanation on why we collect...why morrissey? because it means so much to me and his lyrics are true lessons for my day life but at the end...is just the greed of wanting more and more...

Thanks for elaborating further. I find it all to be fascinating.

It sounds like collecting on this level mirrors drug addiction in many ways. There is the high involved, the thrill of the hunt, the short-lived relief of the acquisition, the monetary and other life problems the addiction causes, the psychological dependency...

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of research out there on this subject. A shame really. I'd love to read a whole book on it.

Are you obsessive and/or compulsive in other areas of your life? About people/relationships? Drugs, food, or alcohol? Are you a perfectionist? Good at math? Haha.

I have been collecting Smiths /Morrissey vinyl for 29 years ! since late 1984.. and I still do not have it all. I need about 15 pieces that I just cant find. Some [I know] are sitting in some record store in Spain or Italy or New Zealand in the bargain bins. But my issue is everything needs to be Mint condition. And its pretty rare to find a 25 year old record sleeve in that shape.
In the "old days" I would make my monthly drive 30+ miles to the bookstore and pick up my copy of Record Collector and Goldmine magazine many years before the internet and read them cover to cover. I also would put ads in the back of fanzines looking for Smiths vinyl. Every weekend I would hit every record convention there was in the area to get my hands on anything. That's when [It seemed like] there were much less people collecting and postage was cheap ! But those days are gone. Now you have ebay, PJLM and many other very cool and informative websites made by hardcore fans which I wish were around 20 years ago !
I have talked about selling everything off everything a few different times but I just cant seem to do it. I would not want to even think about breaking it up. But if there is some rich Smiths fan out there who would like the total package for the right price I might part with it.
I know what your going thru I been there. Moderation.
Many times I jumped and paid crazy amounts of $$ for something I thought I had to have at that moment or I would never see it again. But then a week, month or even a year goes by and I see the same item pop up again for 1/3 the price ! Good Luck with your collection.

Jeff

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. It was interesting to hear the thoughts of an experienced smiths fan...like you said, moderation is the key but sometimes is impossible...i just cant stop it... You know this situation where you know that you cant buy or afford the item but you just go against your common sense? I think moz collectors we are among the most hardcore out there...dont know if is a compliment...

Thanks for elaborating further. I find it all to be fascinating.

It sounds like collecting on this level mirrors drug addiction in many ways. There is the high involved, the thrill of the hunt, the short-lived relief of the acquisition, the monetary and other life problems the addiction causes, the psychological dependency...

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of research out there on this subject. A shame really. I'd love to read a whole book on it.

Are you obsessive and/or compulsive in other areas of your life? About people/relationships? Drugs, food, or alcohol? Are you a perfectionist? Good at math? Haha.

Agree...this topic is very interesting...the behavior of drug addiction, gambling or social dependancy has a lot of similarities....would be interesting to see hows the mindset and process of the collector from the beginning up to unhealthy levels...why we do it?
Also, now that you mentioned it, yes...im a heavy smoker,social drinker, some pot and quite obsessive in general... Obviously theres some correlation with our behaviors and the way we react on a daily basis...maybe collecting is a valve of escape...freud left some blank spots there...:rolleyes: ...what about you? Whats your story? Morrissey-solo is the first step to join the unhealthy club?

Last edited:
Agree...this topic is very interesting...the behavior of drug addiction, gambling or social dependancy has a lot of similarities....would be interesting to see hows the mindset and process of the collector from the beginning up to unhealthy levels...why we do it?
Also, now that you mentioned it, yes...im a heavy smoker,social drinker, some pot and quite obsessive in general... Obviously theres some correlation with our behaviors and the way we react on a daily basis...maybe collecting is a valve of escape...freud left some blank spots there...:rolleyes: ...what about you? Whats your story? Morrissey-solo is the first step to join the unhealthy club?

I guess I would qualify for membership in the Unhealthy Club via my propensity to abuse things that alter my mood. This can be in the form of of chemicals like drugs and alcohol, sex, exercise, or even starving. Yes, the lack of food creates a sort of euphoria which alters one's mood. Fortunately I am all too aware of my addictive tendencies and try to steer clear of drugs and alcohol. Mostly I avoid alcohol because I hate hangovers and also because it is fattening. Pills are another story--much harder to resist. Thank goodness I am not a pharmacist or M.D. Easy access would not be a good thing for me. And I have my eating under control these days. Meaning, I do eat.

But I am not obsessed with objects or people. Just substances or the lack of.

I have 2 x HIG negative, and the test press you speak of, do I really have to try and explain? Don't know where to start.:crazy:

Patience basically. Put the call out that I was chasing a HIG negative and 3-4 months passed, nothing. A couple then came up, wheeling and dealing, actually met some great fans along the way. Also went on a bit of a buying spree, to the point where I'm not sure exactly what I have at the moment! Will be cataloging them soon...

Back
Top Bottom