Cold Advice

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
I'm about to go to the store for the third time during this cold that won't go away to get something to help it! Usually while I'm standing there amidst the boxes and bottles of cold relief products, I get overwhelmed and confused and end up walking away and buying a candy bar instead. It happens. Here's my question.

I am coughing constantly. I am not blowing my nose or coughing up mucus, but there's something in my chest as it feels tight and as I breath you can hear it, it;s wheezy or whatever. I take Datime and Nighttime cough suppresants that only help a little bit. Should I try that mucus stuff that draws up mucus even though it doesnt feel like there's any mucus? I mean wouldn't it be running out my nose?

I guess I'm confused. And it doesn;t help that I'm sick, I can;t even solve the problem of what to buy, I'm so sleepy. :o

Your symptom has coughing, my advice is buy a cough syrup and stay in bed.
Ideally you should go to doctor and ask his help because you might have a chest infection.

I haven't had a cold since Last October.
Hopefully in another 4 weeks I'll break my personal record of not having a cold in a whole year (50 weeks is my current record).

My mom knows which medicines work best. She has come up with a perfect combination that makes my family feel better when we are sick. I can't remember them right now though. I will have to ask her. I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is terrible.

Go to the juice bar at Whole Foods and ask for a double ginger shot. It's packed with vitamin C and it will fix you up in no time. I used to recommend it when customers would ask me what natural cold medicine works best. It works every time. I hope you feel better.

Your symptom has coughing, my advice is buy a cough syrup and stay in bed.
Ideally you should go to doctor and ask his help because you might have a chest infection.

I haven't had a cold since Last October.
Hopefully in another 4 weeks I'll break my personal record of not having a cold in a whole year (50 weeks is my current record).

You're right, I might have to go to the doctor eventually. It just seems like they always say "Just get some rest. That'll be $50." :straightface: Good luck with our record!

My mom knows which medicines work best. She has come up with a perfect combination that makes my family feel better when we are sick. I can't remember them right now though. I will have to ask her. I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is terrible.

Thanks Kenzie. :sweet:

Go to the juice bar at Whole Foods and ask for a double ginger shot. It's packed with vitamin C and it will fix you up in no time. I used to recommend it when customers would ask me what natural cold medicine works best. It works every time. I hope you feel better.

I will try that. It sounds gross but I'd try anything. :p

Regardless what remedy you take (ginger, pills, chicken soup, etc.) you are treating the symptoms of a viral infection. There is no cure for the common cold so you might as well take the highest dose of codeine your chemist will allow. The best way to get rid of the cold is to let your leukocytes do their job. Lots of sleep and water. Sounds like you might have something beyond a cold, however. A wheezing cough may be a sign of bronchitis or pneumonia - bacterial infections that will respond well to anti-biotics.

Here is what my mom said:
"I recommend taking Mucinex expectorant and cough suppressant. It helps loosen up any mucus that's in the lungs, and it also relieves that itchy sensation in the chest. It's foul smelling and horrid tasting. The pills are gigantic, but it works. I recommend taking the once every 12-hours pills."

She is right, it does taste and smell bad, and the pills are huge but it works. I think I saw on a sign at the doctors that if your cold lasts more than 7-10 days and you aren't getting better, you should go to the doctors to check if it is an infection. Well, get better soon! :)

When you think you got a cold, I recommend you to have ginger tea or cola (slice fresh ginger and simmer with teabag / cola in a pan for few minutes).
It works for sore throat.

If you are in the UK, alternatively grate ginger and add ginger juice to Innocent's lemon ginger smoothy, heat up in a microwave for 20 seconds.
It tastes lovely.

Get well soon CG. :flowers:

It's important to remember that when you start taking Mucinex you need to drink more liquids, and try to avoid excessive caffeine. If you have a vaporizer, use it.
Aside from that, rest, vitamins, plenty of liquid. If you can stand hot peppers in your food, have some. If you live near Jamba Juice, get a Coldbuster. If there's no Jamba, or if you hate the prices, get some bananas, frozen beaches, frozen strawberries, OJ, and those effervescent Vitamin packets you get at Target for a few dollars, and whooooze them into a smoothie. One a day.

If you don't start coughing up gobs of crap soon, go to da clinic because you might need some medicine.

Feel better soon!

I recommend lots of ginger and vitamin C...and an enema.

I just woke up. I am going to try the Jamba and mucinex and tons of water. And the hot peppers. If none of this helps then the doctor. I've been enjoying vicodin the last few days, its the deepest sleep I can get. My leukocytes have enjoyed it I'll say, you might be onto the codeine thing. Thank you so much guys. :love: My real family are zombies about illness.

I went to Jamba juice and just took the ginormous Mucinex. Let me tell you about Jamba juice, though. It's in the 90s here today, even at 6pm it was 92 degrees. I went in and ordered the smoothie, subbing strawberries for banana. (I'm picky about two things. Tomatoes on everything and bananas in smoothies. I just think they overpower the taste of the other fruits.) I took it back to the car and sat in the heat and drank the smoothie. It was like ambrosia. I've never tasted anything so delicious in my life. It was cold and icey and made my throat feel better and in the heat, it was heaven. Now I'm back to coughing again but for those 10 minutes? Perfect.

I went to Jamba juice and just took the ginormous Mucinex. Let me tell you about Jamba juice, though. It's in the 90s here today, even at 6pm it was 92 degrees. I went in and ordered the smoothie, subbing strawberries for banana. (I'm picky about two things. Tomatoes on everything and bananas in smoothies. I just think they overpower the taste of the other fruits.) I took it back to the car and sat in the heat and drank the smoothie. It was like ambrosia. I've never tasted anything so delicious in my life. It was cold and icey and made my throat feel better and in the heat, it was heaven. Now I'm back to coughing again but for those 10 minutes? Perfect.

Should have listened to the advice of the THREE PEOPLE who told you to take ginger and vitamin C...

Should have listened to the advice of the THREE PEOPLE who told you to take ginger and vitamin C...

I bought some orange juice? :o I was too achey to go to Whole Foods. :( And Ginger tea? I guess I'm picky about ginger too. Gingerbread cookies are the most overrated cookie of all time. But when I sat in the parking lot drinking my cold buster I saw a guy get into his car who looked like John Leguizamo. Does that make up for it?

But when I sat in the parking lot drinking my cold buster I saw a guy get into his car who looked like John Leguizamo. Does that make up for it?

Coldbusters are magic. :p

Back
Top Bottom