"Classically Smiths" shows no longer going forward - Mike Joyce, Craig Gannon statements on FB

UPDATE 11:05 AM PT:

Classically Smiths gigs cancelled as Mike Joyce pulls out hours after Andy Rourke denies involvement - Manchester Evening News
Just a day after the Classically Smiths concerts were confirmed, Andy Rourke claimed he was never involved and now drummer Mike Joyce has pulled out

DC8D7C7F-4A54-4002-AF4C-E040AAC6DF3F.jpeg

Indeed the plot thickens

Posted by mcrickson shortly after:

Gannon's out, too. Blames Andy.

Statement regarding 'Classically Smiths'.

It's with regret that the Classically Smiths shows will no longer be going ahead.

Five months ago myself, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke all agreed to be a part of this project as the core three which was why it all went ahead. Unfortunately Andy pulled out at the very last minute. This meant that all the press releases, branding and marketing etc. had already gone out so it was too late to change anything. It also meant that we were under obligation yesterday to go ahead with the press launch which Mike and myself did but were told we couldn't mention anything about the situation with Andy. That's unfortunate as the last thing we wanted was to mislead anyone.

This is disappointing as we were all really excited about putting on these shows. I for one have been working solidly on this project for the last five months and it's a shame that it's fallen apart in this way.

Many thanks.

Craig

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I didn't say I believed it to be true - if you'd been following (which you evidently haven't been), you'd know that I simply asked whether anyone could confirm or deny;

2) I've already said that the person I heard it from is a well-connected Manchester-based music journalist who writes for several national publications. You really think I'm just going to post their name in this forum without their permission?? If you think I'm trolling or making it up, then don't bother replying, but I would just add that since I posted on here I've seen a post saying something very similar about Andy in the BTL thread under the Classically Smiths story on The Guardian website.

Like I originally said, I just wondered whether anyone could confirm or deny from a position of informed knowledge (rather than assumption, speculation or knee-jerk messenger shooting).
Sorry I can't confirm or deny this. I think people were being too harsh on you. Was it John Robb who told you this or Terry Christian?

Even if someone looks well and happy it doesn't mean that they are. There are hidden illnesses and disabilities sometimes people might look well when in fact they aren't well at all and they are really struggling. Do you know if this a mental or a physical illness? This is really sad news if it is indeed true. Maybe that is why he pulled out of this project at the last minute. I don't think I know what the BTL thread is sorry.

Englishman living in America....................... previous incumbent of the Smiths conventions in the late 80's / early 90's.....
Someone said Elliot Marks is the guy who is interviewed at the start of "Hulmerist" and to this day he still helps organise those awful Smiths conventions in LA.

Morrissey once threatened to sue him because of something to do with the use of Morrissey's name in connection with a Smiths convention that was probably in LA (this was years ago now).

This makes sense that Elliot Marks seems to be based in Orange County, Southern California, USA.

Bad Production Ltd. seems to of been formed last year 2017 and is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry.

Joel Perry seems to be based in Heaton Chapel, Stockport (near Manchester) in the North West of England.

Johnny could only have convinced Andy to pull out by promising him something similar.

Nah. They're friends. Johnny could have just made it clear how unhappy he would be. Not saying there's any reason to believe that's what happened, though.

Makes all three of them look ridiculous.
The concept of the gigs was quite good imo but what an absolute mess....!
Not sure the three of them will be on speaking terms after this!!!
Andy is surely holding out for a Moz / Marr reunion but tbh I think we can all dream on!

Yes it does.
Yes it IS.
Because these 3 ARE just ridiculous. These 3 musicians are not allowed to use the name "The Smiths" nor are they allowed to create ANY activities in relation to the use of "The Smiths" - meaning no musical events, no publications, no nothing. It is the least that these 3 should expect. The Smiths are Johnny Marr and Morrissey.
Always HAVE been. Always WILL be.

Frankly to see and listen to these amateurs on BBC North West News earlier this week was shocking.

Hazard
x

Look on ebay for the singles. There are plenty available for the same price as you'd pay in the stores, and look on the resale sites for tickets at a decreasing markup the closer you get to the shows. Easy peasy.
That's right they buy them up so they can mark them up ....knowing how in demand the records are ,same with tickets. Take a look of moz older singles and see how they have increased in value....are we really discussing this. IF YOU DON'T CARE FOR HIS MUSIC "THEN DON'T LOOK AT HIM" THERE MUST BE SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE YOUR CARES AWAY....ALSO MOZ HAS SAID ...IM OKAY BY MYSELF....SO LEAVE HAVE A GREAT LIFE.....ELSEWHERE

Yes it does.
Yes it IS.
Because these 3 ARE just ridiculous. These 3 musicians are not allowed to use the name "The Smiths" nor are they allowed to create ANY activities in relation to the use of "The Smiths" - meaning no musical events, no publications, no nothing. It is the least that these 3 should expect. The Smiths are Johnny Marr and Morrissey.
Always HAVE been. Always WILL be.

Frankly to see and listen to these amateurs on BBC North West News earlier this week was shocking.

Hazard
x

DRAMA QUEEN IN DA HOUSE ALERT

That's right they buy them up so they can mark them up ....knowing how in demand the records are ,same with tickets. Take a look of moz older singles and see how they have increased in value....are we really discussing this. IF YOU DON'T CARE FOR HIS MUSIC "THEN DON'T LOOK AT HIM" THERE MUST BE SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE YOUR CARES AWAY....ALSO MOZ HAS SAID ...IM OKAY BY MYSELF....SO LEAVE HAVE A GREAT LIFE.....ELSEWHERE
Oh don't go quoting lyrics at me. I like him just fine. I also could have seen him for 10 bucks on the opening night of the tour because he was so in demand. Morrissey (and everyone else on Earth) can't please everybody all of the time. But keep on telling me to go away with your year old account, Jebus.

Prices are dictated by supply and demand. If less records were made than there are people who want to buy them then they're expensive 2nd hand, if the most popular artist in the World releases a record and there are more copies of it than people who want to own it then that'll be worth 50p. Hence why No.1 singles tend to go for dirt cheap but singles that barely sold often go for a lot more.

Why on earth would Johnny - a performing, recording, and soundtrack artist who has never shown interest in managing - manage a 54 year old DJ?
I'm not saying Johnny Marr would want to be Andy Rourke's manager but I think he would be prepared to do it if he had to. I know that Johnny Marr is very talented and he is busy with his own projects.

However, I could never see Johnny Marr being Mike Joyce or Craig Gannon's manager because they don't seem to get on anymore since the court case.

I'm actually very surprised Johnny Marr didn't step in to try to sort this mess out especially as his friend Andy Rourke is involved with this.

Has Johnny Marr said anything about these concerts?

1) I didn't say I believed it to be true - if you'd been following (which you evidently haven't been), you'd know that I simply asked whether anyone could confirm or deny;

2) I've already said that the person I heard it from is a well-connected Manchester-based music journalist who writes for several national publications. You really think I'm just going to post their name in this forum without their permission?? If you think I'm trolling or making it up, then don't bother replying, but I would just add that since I posted on here I've seen a post saying something very similar about Andy in the BTL thread under the Classically Smiths story on The Guardian website.

Like I originally said, I just wondered whether anyone could confirm or deny from a position of informed knowledge (rather than assumption, speculation or kneejerk messenger-shooting).
I find it hard to believe what you are saying is true because you won't reveal who your sources are.

It seems to me you are just trying to spread rumours.

Andy Rourke looked very well, happy and relaxed in the recent photo someone posted. I bet Andy Rourke is living it up in New York as we speak!

The only thing that might be wrong with him is he was grieving for his friend Dolores O'Riordan (the Cranberries lead singer).

Oh don't go quoting lyrics at me. I like him just fine. I also could have seen him for 10 bucks on the opening night of the tour because he was so in demand. Morrissey (and everyone else on Earth) can't please everybody all of the time. But keep on telling me to go away with your year old account, Jebus.
Well if you like MOZ as u say ,why so much negativity toward him. And if you do like him ....i apologize....

Well if you like MOZ as u say ,why so much negativity toward him. And if you do like him ....i apologize....
I love his music. I just wish he wouldn't get in his own way so much. When it was said that his singles and tickets were in demand, sure. To an extent. BUT- there has been a big problem in recent years with scumbags snatching up tickets, singles, his suits (lol) with the intent of flipping them for a profit. Have the tickets/singles etc technically been bought? Sure. But only as a potential business venture and source of profit for a third party. The eventual reduction in price until many of them are at or below face value says a bit about demand though. I felt the same way about profiteering scum when I couldn't find a "Hatchimal surprise" for my daughter at face value two christmases ago. Of course they were everywhere on the 26th. So it's not just Morrissey, but a large peeve of mine in general.

I love his music. I just wish he wouldn't get in his own way so much. When it was said that his singles and tickets were in demand, sure. To an extent. BUT- there has been a big problem in recent years with scumbags snatching up tickets, singles, his suits (lol) with the intent of flipping them for a profit. Have the tickets/singles etc technically been bought? Sure. But only as a potential business venture and source of profit for a third party. The eventual reduction in price until many of them are at or below face value says a bit about demand though. I felt the same way about profiteering scum when I couldn't find a "Hatchimal surprise" for my daughter at face value two christmases ago. Of course they were everywhere on the 26th. So it's not just Morrissey, but a large peeve of mine in general.
Now that very informative and i truly like what u said there

Someone said Elliot Marks is the guy who is interviewed at the start of "Hulmerist" and to this day he still helps organise those awful Smiths conventions in LA.

Morrissey once threatened to sue him because of something to do with the use of Morrissey's name in connection with a Smiths convention that was probably in LA (this was years ago now).

This makes sense that Elliot Marks seems to be based in Orange County, Southern California, USA.

Bad Production Ltd. seems to of been formed last year 2017 and is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry.

Joel Perry seems to be based in Heaton Chapel, Stockport (near Manchester) in the North West of England.
Yes you are correct Elliot has his face at the start of Hulmerist and I am sure he is a legend in LA with his stories of the good old days of The Smiths.

You are also correct that Moz did threaten to sue and I have the clippings from the NME and MM detailing that. Basically, Moz objected to someone profiteering from the conventions (1991). Sounds familiar doesn't it?

why would anyone want to be andys manager? what would a manager do? listen to him whine over a pint at the pub every night?:crazy:

Apparently, there was a real buzz in the three cities London, Manchester and Edinburgh where the the concerts were going to take place. The Smiths reforming/reunion would be quite a big thing!

Do you think if they replaced Andy Rourke with Dale Hibbert then the concerts could still go ahead as planned?

Bad Production Ltd. seems to of been formed last year 2017 and is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry. Elliot Marks seems to be based in Orange County, Southern California, USA. Joel Perry seems to be based in Heaton Chapel, Stockport (near Manchester) in the North West of England. I don't know anything about Bad Production Ltd. apart from that. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10969621/officers

The Manchester based orchestra sound like they are nice, sensible, talented people it isn't their fault at all that this turned out to be a fiasco.

But this (if it happened) would not be a reunion of the Smiths.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom