"Classically Smiths" shows no longer going forward - Mike Joyce, Craig Gannon statements on FB

UPDATE 11:05 AM PT:

Classically Smiths gigs cancelled as Mike Joyce pulls out hours after Andy Rourke denies involvement - Manchester Evening News
Just a day after the Classically Smiths concerts were confirmed, Andy Rourke claimed he was never involved and now drummer Mike Joyce has pulled out

DC8D7C7F-4A54-4002-AF4C-E040AAC6DF3F.jpeg

Indeed the plot thickens

Posted by mcrickson shortly after:

Gannon's out, too. Blames Andy.

Statement regarding 'Classically Smiths'.

It's with regret that the Classically Smiths shows will no longer be going ahead.

Five months ago myself, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke all agreed to be a part of this project as the core three which was why it all went ahead. Unfortunately Andy pulled out at the very last minute. This meant that all the press releases, branding and marketing etc. had already gone out so it was too late to change anything. It also meant that we were under obligation yesterday to go ahead with the press launch which Mike and myself did but were told we couldn't mention anything about the situation with Andy. That's unfortunate as the last thing we wanted was to mislead anyone.

This is disappointing as we were all really excited about putting on these shows. I for one have been working solidly on this project for the last five months and it's a shame that it's fallen apart in this way.

Many thanks.

Craig

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
A BROKEN ORCHESTRA.
;)

I actually read it more or less like a "We liked the idea, we didn't know that the producers and the former Smiths musicians were lunatics, we wish them good luck and we hope that we'll never see them again", though that's simply my interpretation.

There doesn't need to be a Smiths re-union, just a reniassance. I'm sick of their cult status. Their ongoing record sales and burgeoning critical acclaim aren't reflected in the wider media. I was watching everyday people on you tube covering Andy Rourke's basslines. Many of them are young strapping men with tattoos and from a multitude of backgrounds and I was humbled. I was blown away by seeing Rourke's basslines played close-up. The man is a genius and a virtuoso player of his instrument. When I see the pleasure and sense of achievement his young protogees display when they nail it it makes me so proud of the legacy The Smiths have left. I would recommend anyone to do a search under Smiths Bass Covers to rekindle their appreciation.

What exactly was the concept of these shows? Who was going to sing?

All of this shows how nuts many Morrissey fans have become. Taking sides. Angry at members for legal issues that are not something any of us should be concerned about.

All of this shows how nuts many Morrissey fans have become. Taking sides. Angry at members for legal issues that are not something any of us should be concerned about.

I think it's fair for people to come to have their own take on a pretty major lawsuit involving their favourite band

doh:

These guys need to get it together! They need a proper manager, maybe they could get Marr to do it?

:lbf:

;)

:cool:

Is Melissa Aubert still Andy Rourke's manager? https://twitter.com/djpeep?lang=en

I've heard Melissa Aubert is a pretty good manager, she is respected in the music business and she has a good reputation.

I don't know if Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon have a management team?

I feel really sorry for Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon they both wanted to do this and they were probably looking forward to it. There was a real buzz about this in the cities the concerts were going to be held in London, Manchester and Edinburgh. Mike Joyce seems to be a really nice guy, he is talented and he still looks good. I like that he is a vegetarian and a family man. It is really sad that Andy Rourke let them down in the end.

The sad thing is I don't think Johnny Marr would want to be Mike Joyce or Craig Gannon's manager. Johnny Marr might consider being Andy Rourke's manager though as they seem to be friends.

I don't think Johnny Marr would want to take part in these concerts with Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon being involved with the project but I don't know for sure?

johnny and andy seem to both use clairol, tho different shades LOL.

manchester 'orchestra'.:ha-no: a contradiction in terms.
a hammer is more subtle.

how can there be a buzz about what, from day one, had clusterf*** written all over it? what type of walkbouts can be excited over it ffs?

I don't know. He was known for having quite a bad lifestyle at one time he used to be a heroin addict. I heard he used to drink quite a lot, smoke and maybe experimented with other recreational drugs.
The stress of having that creepy Andy I stalker didn't help as well.

The sad thing is I don't think Johnny Marr would want to be Mike Joyce or Craig Gannon's manager. Johnny Marr might consider being Andy Rourke's manager though as they seem to be friends.

I don't think Johnny Marr would want to take part in these concerts with Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon being involved with the project but I don't know for sure?

Why on earth would Johnny - a performing, recording, and soundtrack artist who has never shown interest in managing - manage a 54 year old DJ?

johnny and andy seem to both use clairol, tho different shades LOL.

manchester 'orchestra'.:ha-no: a contradiction in terms.
a hammer is more subtle.

how can there be a buzz about what, from day one, had clusterf*** written all over it? what type of walkbouts can be excited over it ffs?
Apparently, there was a real buzz in the three cities London, Manchester and Edinburgh where the the concerts were going to take place. The Smiths reforming/reunion would be quite a big thing!

Do you think if they replaced Andy Rourke with Dale Hibbert then the concerts could still go ahead as planned?

Bad Production Ltd. seems to of been formed last year 2017 and is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry. Elliot Marks seems to be based in Orange County, Southern California, USA. Joel Perry seems to be based in Heaton Chapel, Stockport (near Manchester) in the North West of England. I don't know anything about Bad Production Ltd. apart from that. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10969621/officers

The Manchester based orchestra sound like they are nice, sensible, talented people it isn't their fault at all that this turned out to be a fiasco.

Sure is funny how spent the day, and Jacky singles can't be bought bc of selling out. And try to get a ticket for europe leg coming soon.....WAKE THE F... UP
Look on ebay for the singles. There are plenty available for the same price as you'd pay in the stores, and look on the resale sites for tickets at a decreasing markup the closer you get to the shows. Easy peasy.

I was guessing the likes of David McAlmont...
David McAlmont is a really good choice he is a great singer he could sing The Smiths songs with a real soulful passion!

I was thinking maybe Jarvis Cocker ('Pulp' lead vocalist/frontman) or Brett Anderson ('Suede' lead vocalist/frontman) or maybe even Michael Stipe ('R.E.M.' lead vocalist/frontman).

Or another male singer/vocalist who is a bit like Morrissey or the late Elvis Presley.

How about Sir Tom Jones (he is a great singer and a total legend) or maybe someone younger like Will Young (but he isn't that cool)?

I'm guessing they don't want a female vocalist but if they did I think Sinéad O'Connor would be good or the late Dolores O'Riordan.

I'm thinking a good Irish or Mancunian singer would be appropriate but not someone uncool like Daniel O'Donnell or Bono ('U2' lead vocalist/frontman).

Maybe the Liverpudlian Ian McCulloch ('Echo & the Bunnymen' lead vocalist/frontman) or the late Liverpudlian Pete Burns ('Dead or Alive' lead vocalist/frontman) would of been good.

I was really sorry to hear the Salford singer Mark E. Smith (from the band 'The Fall') has passed away because I think he would of been a good choice.

There are also Morrissey soundalikes and lookalikes in The Smiths tribute bands.

There are so many great lead singers/vocalists who could do a good job but nobody is as good as Morrissey is himself at singing The Smiths songs. Morrissey is totally unique, original and irreplaceable!

Johnny could only have convinced Andy to pull out by promising him something similar. Johnny has appeared in front of orchestras before. Johnny and Andy could produce a "Classically Smiths" better than what was promised.
At this point in history it would be more acceptable to something without Mozz. His pride wouldn't let him go on stage with Johnny. Andy deserves some Smiths money and Johnny knows it.
Mark my word. Johnny and Andy will do something now.
Andy still has a rabbit in his pants.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom