"Classically Smiths" shows no longer going forward - Mike Joyce, Craig Gannon statements on FB

UPDATE 11:05 AM PT:

Classically Smiths gigs cancelled as Mike Joyce pulls out hours after Andy Rourke denies involvement - Manchester Evening News
Just a day after the Classically Smiths concerts were confirmed, Andy Rourke claimed he was never involved and now drummer Mike Joyce has pulled out

DC8D7C7F-4A54-4002-AF4C-E040AAC6DF3F.jpeg

Indeed the plot thickens

Posted by mcrickson shortly after:

Gannon's out, too. Blames Andy.

Statement regarding 'Classically Smiths'.

It's with regret that the Classically Smiths shows will no longer be going ahead.

Five months ago myself, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke all agreed to be a part of this project as the core three which was why it all went ahead. Unfortunately Andy pulled out at the very last minute. This meant that all the press releases, branding and marketing etc. had already gone out so it was too late to change anything. It also meant that we were under obligation yesterday to go ahead with the press launch which Mike and myself did but were told we couldn't mention anything about the situation with Andy. That's unfortunate as the last thing we wanted was to mislead anyone.

This is disappointing as we were all really excited about putting on these shows. I for one have been working solidly on this project for the last five months and it's a shame that it's fallen apart in this way.

Many thanks.

Craig

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
'Official Site' is no more.

20180123_174631.jpg

They'd be better off going down the book route.
This all makes great writing material.
Regards,
FWD.

I heard that Andy is actually very, very ill - can anyone confirm or deny...?

Rourke is still reasonable (if distant) mates with Marr despite all that transpired so I would imagine a terse talking-to occurred and he pulled out. There will still be a proper Morrissey -Marr - Rourke reunion one day. You can take that to the bank.

"I just assumed" Andy would take part.

Mike Joyce

Don't tell me, you heard it from a mate who heard it from his neighbour who over heard someone in a pub talking about it after they heard it from a friend who heard it from........

I don't know. He was known for having quite a bad lifestyle at one time he used to be a heroin addict. I heard he used to drink quite a lot, smoke and maybe experimented with other recreational drugs.

There will still be a proper Morrissey -Marr - Rourke reunion one day. You can take that to the bank.
The hell there will. Johnny Marr has a forward-moving career. ANY rekindled association with Morrissey would set him back decades. Sure, the payout would be a one-time bonanza. ...but he doesn’t strike me as someone who’s overly concerned with a pension to-up, at this stage of the game.

I know, I'm actually quite sad. A lot of people sniping and jeering but I think it could have been good.
Peppermint - You are totally right and it was a great idea - just poorly executed..............................

It is a shame. I am sure it would have been good with Andy on bass and Craig able to handle most of the lead guitar parts with more authenticity than anyone other than Marr himself being a bona fide former Smith. With an interesting selection of guest singers it would have been worthwhile. I like Mike and am sorry it didn't work out in the end for him and the orchestra. Stuff shouldn't be so hard with this band...

Wonder if Rourke and Joyce’s court settlements have anything to do with this? Wouldn’t surprise me if Morrissey would have forbidden them playing his songs live.

Legal problems have led them to the only reasonable option, get out.
This project was doomed even before it begun.

I don't know. He was known for having quite a bad lifestyle at one time he used to be a heroin addict. I heard he used to drink quite a lot, smoke and maybe experimented with other recreational drugs.

What, exactly, are you getting at? A “bad lifestyle”? On the contrary. It’s a bloody EXCELLENT lifestyle, provided you come out the other end breathing and with all your faculties. Many, many people have experimented, struggled and then found sobriety. “He was known to...” and “I heard...”. Do you have a single shred of evidence that suggests that Rourke is in a bad way as a result of alcohol or narcotics? You’re tossing this vague notion of relapse around like a clueless, overly-dramatic, cave-dwelling half-wit twat.

Is anyone surprised with this? esp when you look who BadProductions is run by........
Bad Production Ltd. is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry.

Is Elliot Marks an American or is he an Englishman just living in America?

Wonder if Rourke and Joyce’s court settlements have anything to do with this? Wouldn’t surprise me if Morrissey would have forbidden them playing his songs live.
Publishing 101:
Morrissey can’t prevent ANYONE from performing the songs of the Smiths.

Why folks insist on making daft, speculative statements - completely absent of fact - is beyond me.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom