"Classically Smiths" shows no longer going forward - Mike Joyce, Craig Gannon statements on FB

UPDATE 11:05 AM PT:

Classically Smiths gigs cancelled as Mike Joyce pulls out hours after Andy Rourke denies involvement - Manchester Evening News
Just a day after the Classically Smiths concerts were confirmed, Andy Rourke claimed he was never involved and now drummer Mike Joyce has pulled out

DC8D7C7F-4A54-4002-AF4C-E040AAC6DF3F.jpeg

Indeed the plot thickens

Posted by mcrickson shortly after:

Gannon's out, too. Blames Andy.

Statement regarding 'Classically Smiths'.

It's with regret that the Classically Smiths shows will no longer be going ahead.

Five months ago myself, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke all agreed to be a part of this project as the core three which was why it all went ahead. Unfortunately Andy pulled out at the very last minute. This meant that all the press releases, branding and marketing etc. had already gone out so it was too late to change anything. It also meant that we were under obligation yesterday to go ahead with the press launch which Mike and myself did but were told we couldn't mention anything about the situation with Andy. That's unfortunate as the last thing we wanted was to mislead anyone.

This is disappointing as we were all really excited about putting on these shows. I for one have been working solidly on this project for the last five months and it's a shame that it's fallen apart in this way.

Many thanks.

Craig

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
All four of them getting back together would not be a reunion of the Smiths. It would be the same four people, but it would not be the Smiths.

I agree,

but the post I was replying to, they were more or less saying that this 'classically Smiths' show was a Smiths reunion.

below is the post....

'Apparently, there was a real buzz in the three cities London, Manchester and Edinburgh where the the concerts were going to take place. The Smiths reforming/reunion would be quite a big thing!

Do you think if they replaced Andy Rourke with Dale Hibbert then the concerts could still go ahead as planned?

Bad Production Ltd. seems to of been formed last year 2017 and is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry. Elliot Marks seems to be based in Orange County, Southern California, USA. Joel Perry seems to be based in Heaton Chapel, Stockport (near Manchester) in the North West of England. I don't know anything about Bad Production Ltd. apart from that. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10969621/officers

The Manchester based orchestra sound like they are nice, sensible, talented people it isn't their fault at all that this turned out to be a fiasco.'

Sounds like an OK job if Andy was willing to pay you and buy the beer.

manager gets paid a percentage. after paying the other member of the 'team', the bartender, this will come to a grand total of O.doh:

Yes you are correct Elliot has his face at the start of Hulmerist and I am sure he is a legend in LA with his stories of the good old days of The Smiths.

You are also correct that Moz did threaten to sue and I have the clippings from the NME and MM detailing that. Basically, Moz objected to someone profiteering from the conventions (1991). Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Was Elliot Marks around in the early days of The Smiths?

Elliot Marks is an Englishman who moved to America. Is he originally from Manchester?

Was it to do with them using Morrissey's name and likeness at a Smiths convention in LA back in 1991 as to why Moz threatened to sue?

Does MM stand for the music magazine "Melody Maker" (which doesn't exist anymore)?

I would just add that since I posted on here I've seen a post saying something very similar about Andy in the BTL thread under the Classically Smiths story on The Guardian website.
What is the BTL thread? What does BTL stand for?

But this (if it happened) would not be a reunion of the Smiths.
I agree K.S. how could it be without the main 2 MOZ and Marr. if and( I know they wouldnt) come to the states I don't think it would be appealing to me. Heck even with Johnny I wouldn't go....the original or nothing

Do you think if they replaced Andy Rourke with Dale Hibbert then the concerts could still go ahead as planned?

Craig Gannon should get Dale Hibbert and Funky Si and take the world by storm. Get James Maker to introduce them in French, and dance in heels in the background.

Craig Gannon should get Dale Hibbert and Funky Si and take the world by storm. Get James Maker to introduce them in French, and dance in heels in the background.
Yes this is such a good idea. Simon ('Funky Si') Wolstencroft is an amazing drummer and a really nice guy. I think they should have two drummers Simon Wolstencroft and Mike Joyce! With David McAlmont or Sir Tom Jones on vocals and James Maker dancing away it would be a great concert.

I agree K.S. how could it be without the main 2 MOZ and Marr. If and ( I know they wouldn't) come to the states I don't think it would be appealing to me. Heck even with Johnny I wouldn't go....the original or nothing
Would you go if it was just Morrissey and Johnny Marr but NOT the other members of The Smiths?

I think Morrissey does spend sometime in the USA in LA, California and he tours out there. I think Johnny Marr was living in Portland, Oregon. I think Andy Rourke moved to New York City some years ago. So there is a chance they might play out in the USA.

C ome on Johnny Marr , Your'e a good guitarist . G ive Andy a break he's a virtuoso on his guitar he deserved to be recognised. H e was jus t as good a songwriter as you

That quote is not mine, I mean, I was quoting an anon's post, in relation to another subject and reply.

Anyhow,I don't agree with that idea, because obviously Dale can't replace Rourke, no one can. Andy really brought his own thing to the Smiths recipe. Of course someone can imitate his style but it wouldn't be the same. It's like trying to replace Barry Adamson of Magazine, can't be done or even attempted (even though it was :mad:).

Yes this is such a good idea. Simon ('Funky Si') Wolstencroft is an amazing drummer and a really nice guy. I think they should have two drummers Simon Wolstencroft and Mike Joyce! With David McAlmont or Sir Tom Jones on vocals and James Maker dancing away it would be a great concert.
They could get Bernard Butler or John Squire or Jonny Greenwood (lead guitarist from 'Radiohead') to play Johnny Marr's guitar parts. James Maker would be the 'Bez' type character. What happened to Johnny Marr's friend Andrew Berry? Maybe they could get Andrew Berry to do something? They could have more than one main vocalist (and some backing singers) maybe David McAlmont, Sir Tom Jones and some others. They could also have some special effects on stage and with modern technology anything is possible these days. With the lovely, talented Dale Hibbert on bass and a full, classical orchestra this will be an awesome concert!

They are still touring with 'Haçienda Classical' and it works really well. I don't see why they can't do something similar to 'Haçienda Classical' but with The Smiths music instead? I think 'Classically Smiths' is a good idea and Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon should still go ahead with this as planned.

Would you go if it was just Morrissey and Johnny Marr but NOT the other members of The Smiths?

I think Morrissey does spend sometime in the USA in LA, California and he tours out there. I think Johnny Marr was living in Portland, Oregon. I think Andy Rourke moved to New York City some years ago. So there is a chance they might play out in the USA.
Well yes then. ..that is if MOZ would do it, but from his autobiography he hates the little 2 (joyce,rourke) money mungers...as he says

I haven't seen this here yet - not wading though all the threads to find out!
The Orchestra made a statement a while back - apologies if repeated info:
20180127_143037.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

What does Rourke actually do these days

True. What Morrissey is doing is so much better and more interesting than anything else. He doesn't need money either. He rescues cats in his spare time.

#VivaMoz

True, and Morrissey has a forward-moving career. ANY rekindled association with Marr would set him back decades. Sure, the payout would be a one-time bonanza. ...but he doesn’t strike me as someone who’s overly concerned with a pension to-up, at this stage of the game.

:thumb:

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom