"Classically Smiths" shows no longer going forward - Mike Joyce, Craig Gannon statements on FB

UPDATE 11:05 AM PT:

Classically Smiths gigs cancelled as Mike Joyce pulls out hours after Andy Rourke denies involvement - Manchester Evening News
Just a day after the Classically Smiths concerts were confirmed, Andy Rourke claimed he was never involved and now drummer Mike Joyce has pulled out

DC8D7C7F-4A54-4002-AF4C-E040AAC6DF3F.jpeg

Indeed the plot thickens

Posted by mcrickson shortly after:

Gannon's out, too. Blames Andy.

Statement regarding 'Classically Smiths'.

It's with regret that the Classically Smiths shows will no longer be going ahead.

Five months ago myself, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke all agreed to be a part of this project as the core three which was why it all went ahead. Unfortunately Andy pulled out at the very last minute. This meant that all the press releases, branding and marketing etc. had already gone out so it was too late to change anything. It also meant that we were under obligation yesterday to go ahead with the press launch which Mike and myself did but were told we couldn't mention anything about the situation with Andy. That's unfortunate as the last thing we wanted was to mislead anyone.

This is disappointing as we were all really excited about putting on these shows. I for one have been working solidly on this project for the last five months and it's a shame that it's fallen apart in this way.

Many thanks.

Craig

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
What prospects for a full Smiths reunion, with this Shambles....

Bad Production Ltd. is run by Elliot Marks and Joel Perry.

Is Elliot Marks an American or is he an Englishman just living in America?

Englishman living in America....................... previous incumbent of the Smiths conventions in the late 80's / early 90's.....

Don't tell me, you heard it from a mate who heard it from his neighbour who over heard someone in a pub talking about it after they heard it from a friend who heard it from........

Nope - from a well-connected Manchester-based music journalist who freelances for several national publications.

its a wonder people aren't blaming Morrissey for this.

I'm confused how someone can tell you that you can't contradict their lies at a press conference. When were they going to say Andy was out? Or did they hope he would change his mind? It looks really bad for Mike to say that he was told not to correct the false information.
I thought this whole thing was funny but it's also kind of sad.

I get that maybe these 'Bad Productions' guys had already sunk some money into arranging this, and were looking to recoup their costs - but it's a very low move to knowingly try and sell tickets for this tour advertising all three of the,, knowing that Andy was never going to be present. It's fraud, pure and simple. Presumably they hoped all three would keep quiet, they'd sell enough to tickets to earn some money, then a few days before the tour announce that Andy couldn't make it after all, and expect the punters to just have to lump it.

If everything Craig said is true then he has a right to be pissed off. Nobody stands by their word these days. Even if there was no contract a verbal agreement by the three of them should be enough. You do what you say you're gonna do. End of.
Same comment for Moz cancelling dates. All unacceptable behaviour unless you are literally at deaths door.

Was all set to try for presale tickets tomorrow and now it’s off? What an embarrassment. I think it would have been a fabulous night. Such a shame.

Was looking forward to this. Was going to go to the show in Edinburgh. Feel sorry for Mike and Craig. They have had the rug pulled from under them at the last minute and are no doubt furious with Andy.

Wonder if Rourke and Joyce’s court settlements have anything to do with this? Wouldn’t surprise me if Morrissey would have forbidden them playing his songs live.

I dont think anyone would have the power to forbid the guys playing the songs. They didnt need permission from anyone, Morrissey and Marr would get paid and they couldnt stop the event, the only thing the could challenge is the use of The Smiths name, even using Classically Smiths might cause a stir but that could be worked around.

The only thing i can see has happened here is that someone has asked Andy to reconsider and he has done so. Whoever asked and for what reason he agreed we can only speculate.

I'm confused how someone can tell you that you can't contradict their lies at a press conference. When were they going to say Andy was out? Or did they hope he would change his mind? It looks really bad for Mike to say that he was told not to correct the false information.
I thought this whole thing was funny but it's also kind of sad.

tenor.gif

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom