Links posted by Famous when dead:

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show - Edinburgh Evening News

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion - NME

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts - The Telegraph

Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way... - Radio X

42073_classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Three members of The Smiths reunite for Classically Smiths gigs reworking band's tracks with Camerata orchestra - Manchester Evening News
Classically Smiths will see Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon team up with the Manchester Camerata Orchestra to rework the band's back catalogue at live concerts this summer

Excerpt:

Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced.

Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”

Craig Gannon said: “Classically Smiths will be a refreshing and exciting production, not only for us as musicians, but ultimately for the people coming to see and hear it.

"I’m really looking forward to playing these great songs with an orchestra and I know people are going to embrace the way in which they are presented.

“When using an orchestra with a band, there are so many different approaches you can take. But rather than us bending something out of shape or forcing a completely different musical angle on it, we’re doing this with the greatest respect and admiration for the songs we all love.

“I played most of these songs live (and on some of the original recordings) when I was in The Smiths in 1986 and I’m really looking forward to revisiting them again.”

Classically Smiths is presented by Bad Production Ltd who are promising a huge production to back the music.

Joel Perry, executive producer and creative director, said: “Classically Smiths is bringing back into the now, from their extraordinary place in history, a reimagining of those irrepressible songs that we believe audiences, and indeed any discerning music lover, deserves to hear.

"Music that is as valid in 2018 as it was in 1987. Emotive, nostalgic, yet current and refreshed. A celebration of the melancholic exuberance that only that band were capable of providing, delivered in a production that is nothing short of monumental.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

...Tickets for Classically Smiths go on sale Friday January 26 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

The live dates confirmed so far are:

JUNE 28 – MANCHESTER, O2 APOLLO
JUNE 29 – LONDON, O2 ACADEMY, BRIXTON
JULY 2 – EDINBURGH, USHER HALL

42071_manchester_camerata.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
So no Rourke? Perhaps significantly, he is the only one of the three still on good terms with Marr (and not on awful terms with Morrissey).
I'm envisaging there's been a communication. 'Andy, old bean - Steve and I are probably going to perform again together in the next 18 months and we'd like you to be on board. But not if you get involved with this Classically Smiths thing. Your choice (and with apologies for awkwardness). Much love. JM'

So no Rourke? Perhaps significantly, he is the only one of the three still on good terms with Marr (and not on awful terms with Morrissey).
I'm envisaging there's been a communication. 'Andy, old bean - Steve and I are probably going to perform again together in the next 18 months and we'd like you to be on board. But not if you get involved with this Classically Smiths thing. Your choice (and with apologies for awkwardness). Much love. JM'

I had the same thought minus the old bean bit but who knows. I still think for the most part that there won’t be a smiths reunion. I would however like to renew my request for a marr Rourke reunion on a new album

Maybe some people need to calm down and judge this after we have heard it, not before. Kind of reminds me when I first heard about The Smiths Project by Janice Whaley. I wasn't at all sure. After I listened to it I was well impressed.
It's not The Smiths it's something else

no usa dates....

I doubt anyone would be crazy enough as to hire a whole orchestra to tour overseas just for playing something that may attract only a few persons.

Even Rourke was so ashamed of the whole thing that he had to deny any kind of involvement with this weirdness.

RANK MANC WANK

Can you imagine the types that would go to this?
Deeply ensconced in their glorious "melancholic exuberance" {with one eye on getting back in time for the babysitter}.
This is almost as godawful as Classical Hacienda; not quite, but definitely up the same Straße.

YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME AGAIN, etc...

*imagining a more wordy OMD* :laughing:

More wordy than Joan of Arc or Enola Gay? (it was only yesterday)

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind it inspired Moz to namecheck Joan of Arc in “Bigmouth” after his imagination started to run off at hearing the band name Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark. And of course that lame keyboard tune. :rolleyes:

Still waiting for Enola Gay to turn up in a Moz song. It’s tantalising to wait that long. :(

Yeah, cos obviously when you give birth you've given up your right to leave the house.

Why not give the babysitter an extra and promise her or him to drive them home? Than you don’t have to keep an eye on your watch, you can fully enjoy the show, everybody happy?
Gee, I would if I would go to see Moz!
:thumb:

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom