Links posted by Famous when dead:

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show - Edinburgh Evening News

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion - NME

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts - The Telegraph

Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way... - Radio X

42073_classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Three members of The Smiths reunite for Classically Smiths gigs reworking band's tracks with Camerata orchestra - Manchester Evening News
Classically Smiths will see Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon team up with the Manchester Camerata Orchestra to rework the band's back catalogue at live concerts this summer

Excerpt:

Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced.

Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”

Craig Gannon said: “Classically Smiths will be a refreshing and exciting production, not only for us as musicians, but ultimately for the people coming to see and hear it.

"I’m really looking forward to playing these great songs with an orchestra and I know people are going to embrace the way in which they are presented.

“When using an orchestra with a band, there are so many different approaches you can take. But rather than us bending something out of shape or forcing a completely different musical angle on it, we’re doing this with the greatest respect and admiration for the songs we all love.

“I played most of these songs live (and on some of the original recordings) when I was in The Smiths in 1986 and I’m really looking forward to revisiting them again.”

Classically Smiths is presented by Bad Production Ltd who are promising a huge production to back the music.

Joel Perry, executive producer and creative director, said: “Classically Smiths is bringing back into the now, from their extraordinary place in history, a reimagining of those irrepressible songs that we believe audiences, and indeed any discerning music lover, deserves to hear.

"Music that is as valid in 2018 as it was in 1987. Emotive, nostalgic, yet current and refreshed. A celebration of the melancholic exuberance that only that band were capable of providing, delivered in a production that is nothing short of monumental.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

...Tickets for Classically Smiths go on sale Friday January 26 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

The live dates confirmed so far are:

JUNE 28 – MANCHESTER, O2 APOLLO
JUNE 29 – LONDON, O2 ACADEMY, BRIXTON
JULY 2 – EDINBURGH, USHER HALL

42071_manchester_camerata.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's one member bringing a signature sound to this. (Excluding the orchestra, who I'm sure are collectively great, as most orchestras tend to be, but they do just kind of do what the paper tells them to) So Andy take a bow. I guess Craig n Mike can just carry the gas can in case the lawn mower starts sputtering in the middle.

Shite. Shite. Shite.

I don't think it's anywhere near as desperate as some of the attention-seeking stunts Morrissey has pulled in recent years. Trolling murdered children in Norway. Trying to bully his record company into giving him a 'number one single' on the back of the Paris atrocity. Accusing a traffic policeman who had the audacity to ask for his papers (just like everyone else) of trying to kill him. Different musical tastes are just that, and not everything will appeal to everyone. But if you're talking desperate, Morrissey is in a league of his own.
I'm just irritated because for years I've been wanting Morrissey to play with an orchestra. I don't even need to be there, I'd just be happy with film. It's odd to me that he hasn't. I imagine it's because orchestras like to be paid and with his current band, he can probably get away with $500, a couple 12 packs of beer, and a hummus and veggie plate per night.

"2 fifths of the Smiths"
Has a certain ring to it :lbf:
I don't tend to do conspiracy theory thinking, that said: I refuse to believe Rourke wasn't aware he was being tweeted about, mentioned in the media (who were quoting him), included in art work and a custom URL website and in less than 6 hours after the media interest they are attempting to 'get him on board'.
The webpage doesn't appear to be displaying that information anymore either - if anyone else can confirm?
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
They have more right to do this than the cover bands that have been cashing in on The Smiths for years.
My vote for guest singers:
  • Brett Anderson (for most of the songs)
  • Siouxsie - just a few
  • Martin McCann (lead singer with SACK) - just a few
  • Matt Johnson (from The The) - just a few
  • Noel Gallagher - just one or two
  • Neil Hannon (from The Divine Comedy)
  • Richard Hawley (just to get revenge for not being picked for Kill Uncle)
  • Morrissey :brows:
  • Not Johnny Marr :sick:
  • Not Gustav Manzur :sick:
  • Not that ginger twat (Ed Sheeran) - there is no emoticon sufficient to express my revulsion
Joking aside, there is no ideal person to sing Smiths songs except Moz himself, cos Moz is so unique.
Siouxsie can't carry a tune in a bucket anymore. It's sad, really. When the Banshees had their last gasp in 2003 or 4? I left about 6-7 songs in because it was less depressing to go have drinks than listen to Sioux trying to stay in key. (And her Meltdown appearance solo wasn't a lot better.) I love her, but unless a miracle happened, facts are facts.

It sounds interesting - at least the orchestral additions should give it a new spin (more than seeing Morrissey's band plodding through 'How Soon is Now' for the 1,352nd time). A lot will depend on the guest vocalists though - actually I might prefer if this were instrumental rather than have someone crap. And Rourke dropping out 1 day after the announcement isn't a good sign.

I'm just irritated because for years I've been wanting Morrissey to play with an orchestra. I don't even need to be there, I'd just be happy with film. It's odd to me that he hasn't. I imagine it's because orchestras like to be paid and with his current band, he can probably get away with $500, a couple 12 packs of beer, and a hummus and veggie plate per night.
Yep, as he's aged and morphed into an eccentric old crooner, this would be a terrific fit. But you're right, a full-size orchestra is usually around 100 musicians. No way that's coming out of the tour budget.

I can't find reports of this. Where does it say, and why?
Seen on the official site - first page of this thread - last comment under my own.
Regards,
FWD.

If, unlikely as it is, the offer of an actual Smiths reunion popped through Joyce and Gannon's mailbox in the coming months, how quickly do you think this whole thing would be dismantled? With spotlight-hogging endeavors like this, I always find it interesting to consider whether or not they'd even be vaguely considered, were an actual reunion to be an option. It says a thing or two about the motives behind it.

Thanks, Anonymous. So it's all back on with Andy, then?
I'm curious about this then...
A 'mistake' - lol.
Anyone else physically see it?
The Facebook rumour mill catalysed the spread of this info - hence my post above questioning it as it didn't make sense.
Glad it's debunked - although it's a strange 'edit' to have on a confirmed, new site!
Regards,
FWD.

"2 fifths of the Smiths"
Has a certain ring to it :lbf:
I don't tend to do conspiracy theory thinking, that said: I refuse to believe Rourke wasn't aware he was being tweeted about, mentioned in the media (who were quoting him), included in art work and a custom URL website and in less than 6 hours after the media interest they are attempting to 'get him on board'.
The webpage doesn't appear to be displaying that information anymore either - if anyone else can confirm?
Regards,
FWD.
Bloody hell Andy has more in common with Moz than he thinks! Didn't Moz often cancel concerts and appearances and stuff because he wasn't told until it had all been arranged? Losing Andy is a big blow.
I wonder if Moz faxed him one sheet of toilet paper with the words: "You can come back to me but only if you drop this classical idea" :brows:. I'm joking.

Bloody hell Andy has more in common with Moz than he thinks! Didn't Moz often cancel concerts and appearances and stuff because he wasn't told until it had all been arranged? Losing Andy is a big blow.
I wonder if Moz faxed him one sheet of toilet paper with the words: "You can come back to me but only if you drop this classical idea" :brows:. I'm joking.

Relax, Acton, it's all back on again! Seems the Andy thing was a 'mistake'.

One of my most prized possessions is a Portishead's Roseland NYC Live DVD. I think it is an excellent idea to bring a live orchestra into the mix. I have always thought the addition of a live string section would add a depth of emotion to the music beyond the greatness that already exists. Especially the slower tempo songs like That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

A celebration, well there is certainly nothing wrong with that. They may not have have written the music, but then, well...ermmm... neither did Morrissey, but I go to see him. Maybe they could work out one of those hologram things to have Morrissey superimposed on the stage. Just a thought.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom