Links posted by Famous when dead:

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show - Edinburgh Evening News

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion - NME

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts - The Telegraph

Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way... - Radio X

42073_classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Three members of The Smiths reunite for Classically Smiths gigs reworking band's tracks with Camerata orchestra - Manchester Evening News
Classically Smiths will see Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon team up with the Manchester Camerata Orchestra to rework the band's back catalogue at live concerts this summer

Excerpt:

Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced.

Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”

Craig Gannon said: “Classically Smiths will be a refreshing and exciting production, not only for us as musicians, but ultimately for the people coming to see and hear it.

"I’m really looking forward to playing these great songs with an orchestra and I know people are going to embrace the way in which they are presented.

“When using an orchestra with a band, there are so many different approaches you can take. But rather than us bending something out of shape or forcing a completely different musical angle on it, we’re doing this with the greatest respect and admiration for the songs we all love.

“I played most of these songs live (and on some of the original recordings) when I was in The Smiths in 1986 and I’m really looking forward to revisiting them again.”

Classically Smiths is presented by Bad Production Ltd who are promising a huge production to back the music.

Joel Perry, executive producer and creative director, said: “Classically Smiths is bringing back into the now, from their extraordinary place in history, a reimagining of those irrepressible songs that we believe audiences, and indeed any discerning music lover, deserves to hear.

"Music that is as valid in 2018 as it was in 1987. Emotive, nostalgic, yet current and refreshed. A celebration of the melancholic exuberance that only that band were capable of providing, delivered in a production that is nothing short of monumental.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

...Tickets for Classically Smiths go on sale Friday January 26 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

The live dates confirmed so far are:

JUNE 28 – MANCHESTER, O2 APOLLO
JUNE 29 – LONDON, O2 ACADEMY, BRIXTON
JULY 2 – EDINBURGH, USHER HALL

42071_manchester_camerata.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it sounds brilliant. Clever and respectful, but also innovative. And because it's not The Smiths, it removes the expectation and emotional baggage of a reunion. Which makes me think that makes it easier for Johnny to show up and surprise everybody at some point. Well, you never know... Can't wait to see who the guest vocalists are.

What a flipping cheek! They didn't write a single note of music in the Smiths.
I guess, technically, anyone would be allowed to do this. It's like another covers band. Presumably they didn't need permission from the people who composed these songs to go in and grab all this glory.
On the plus side, this will surely get Marr and Steve thinking seriously about working together again.

I guess, technically, anyone would be allowed to do this. It's like another covers band. Presumably they didn't need permission from the people who composed these songs to go in and grab all this glory.
On the plus side, this will surely get Marr and Steve thinking seriously about working together again.
Surely it works just like any other performing rights issue. They will have sought permission and agreed royalities. Why should they not?

Flipping cheek? I think being ex-members of The Smiths grants them more credibility than a mere covers band. Playing at every Smith's concert and on every Smith's record gives Rourke and Joyce slightly more credence than the ramblings of virtually unknown haters like yourself of which there are many.

Innovative? It's a total cliché and the last resort of the desperate
I don't think it's anywhere near as desperate as some of the attention-seeking stunts Morrissey has pulled in recent years. Trolling murdered children in Norway. Trying to bully his record company into giving him a 'number one single' on the back of the Paris atrocity. Accusing a traffic policeman who had the audacity to ask for his papers (just like everyone else) of trying to kill him. Different musical tastes are just that, and not everything will appeal to everyone. But if you're talking desperate, Morrissey is in a league of his own.

Last edited:
Innovative? It's a total cliché and the last resort of the desperate

Bullshit, not desperation at all. Its a great idea and will be a great success, wouldn’t be surprised if Marr made a guest appearance as I think he would like something like this.

It sounds like it will be not dissimilar to the Scott Walker concert that was held last year, similarly with an orchestra and guest vocalists. Cue lots of speculation over who the guest vocalists might be. Perhaps Harry Hill will reprise his performance of 'This Charming Man', which was memorable but not in a good way.

They have more right to do this than the cover bands that have been cashing in on The Smiths for years.
My vote for guest singers:
  • Brett Anderson (for most of the songs)
  • Siouxsie - just a few
  • Martin McCann (lead singer with SACK) - just a few
  • Matt Johnson (from The The) - just a few
  • Noel Gallagher - just one or two
  • Neil Hannon (from The Divine Comedy)
  • Richard Hawley (just to get revenge for not being picked for Kill Uncle)
  • Morrissey :brows:
  • Not Johnny Marr :sick:
  • Not Gustav Manzur :sick:
  • Not that ginger twat (Ed Sheeran) - there is no emoticon sufficient to express my revulsion
Joking aside, there is no ideal person to sing Smiths songs except Moz himself, cos Moz is so unique.

Last edited:
They have more right to do this than the cover bands that have been cashing in on The Smiths for years.
My vote for guest singers:
  • Brett Anderson (for most of the songs)
  • Siouxsie - just a few
  • Martin McCann (lead singer with SACK) - just a few
  • Matt Johnson (from The The) - just a few
  • Noel Gallagher - just one or two
  • Neil Hannon (from The Divine Comedy)
  • Richard Hawley (just to get revenge for not being picked for Kill Uncle)
  • Morrissey :brows:
  • Not Johnny Marr :sick:
  • Not Gustav Manzur :sick:
  • Not that ginger twat (Ed Sheeran) - there is no emoticon sufficient to express my revulsion
Joking aside, there is ideal person to sing Smiths songs, cos Moz is so unique.
I especially like the Richard Hawley suggestion. Noel Gallagher is a good one too - he's talked many times about what those songs mean to him. Also, the 'Oasis era' grew out of the 'Smiths era' and it would be like acknowledging a debt - quite poignant.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anywhere near as desperate as some of the attention-seeking stunts Morrissey has pulled in recent years. Trolling murdered children in Norway. Trying to bully his record company into giving him a 'number one single' on the back of the Paris atrocity. Accusing a traffic policeman who had the audacity to ask for his papers (just like everyone else) of trying to kill him. Different musical tastes are just that, and not everything will appeal to everyone. But if you're talking desperate, Morrissey is in a league of his own.
I remember seeing Moz at Marley Park (after Ringleaders came out) and he said something about asking people to help make his new single number one by downloading it or something like that. And I remember thinking 'fek he's getting a bit desperate there'. Its years ago so I can't remember the details.

I remember seeing Moz at Marley Park (after Ringleaders came out) and he said something about asking people to help make his new single number one by downloading it or something like that. And I remember thinking 'fek he's getting a bit desperate there'. Its years ago so I can't remember the details.
He is definitely abnormally fixated on chart positions, and judging from Autobiography it seems he always was. You're right, it is a bit desperate, and sad. You would think he had enough success behind him now to relax and let his reputation stand for itself.

Desperate for cash again, these three.
No high-profile singer is going to want to work with them.
Suspect you maybe wrong there, they are still well connected with the Manchester music scene and there will be plenty of singers who will be keen to do this.

Think you will find Rourke wrote most of the baselines and clearly Mike came up with the drumming parts.
Johnny admitted this on Simon Goddard's song book

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....on-tour-will-include-edinburgh-show-1-4668088

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/three-members-smiths-joining-forces-2225747

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/members-smiths-reunite-classical-concerts/

classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

Image from:
Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way...
http://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the-smiths/mini-reunion-classically-smiths-orchestra/

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom