Chrissie Hynde defends Morrissey in interview

Scans from James.

Mail on Sunday ‘Event’ magazine, 04/08/18.

Excerpt:

She defends her pal Morrissey, who has recently been accused of racism for speaking out in favour of the far-right For Britain party and having described the Chinese as 'a sub-species' in 2010.

'I'm proud to be one of what he calls his seven friends,' smiles Hynde. 'He made a reference to the Chinese and that got him into trouble, but he was talking about the practices of how they treat dogs and put them in cages and bludgeon them to death. He's an animal-rights guy and he gets emotionally upset by the treatment of animals.'

She still sometimes meets Morrissey 'for an impromptu pint' at her local pub in Maida Vale, west London.

43823_hynde_event_20180804_2.jpg

43824_hynde_event_20180804.jpg

Interesting snippets. Pete Burns was a confusing, almost tragic personality in some ways. At times he sounds like he completely lacks awareness of depression or introversion ("He is afraid of being happy / he lives an enforced life of misery") - but you sense that he "gets it" at the same time, especially when he's talking about the humour in the lyrics. Pete obviously had his own unhappiness which drove him to alter his appearance... I get a strong sense that he felt kinship with Morrissey. Can't imagine Moz being serious about the fishnets though!

Morrissey: "But to be perfectly serious about this whole thing, Pete has been a wonderful friend to me. He really does care and when I get depressed he'll pester and he'll persecute in a wonderful way. Other people will just leave me alone but he won't do that. He'll stay there and take me out of the whole thing. And that is really priceless to me."

By Jihadi Central I sat down and said stuff
#sorocknroll #Snowwhiteissoright #dontblamebikers #moderntalking #older:guitar:chicks #dontjimkerratall

Etc etc etc...

Interesting snippets. Pete Burns was a confusing, almost tragic personality in some ways. At times he sounds like he completely lacks awareness of depression or introversion ("He is afraid of being happy / he lives an enforced life of misery") - but you sense that he "gets it" at the same time, especially when he's talking about the humour in the lyrics. Pete obviously had his own unhappiness which drove him to alter his appearance... I get a strong sense that he felt kinship with Morrissey. Can't imagine Moz being serious about the fishnets though!
I got the feeling that Pete Burns did really understand about depression and mental illness because of what his own mother went through. Although, I know what you mean it didn't appear in the snippets that he did understand. I think that Pete Burns might of suffered with depression himself. There was maybe something a bit self-destructive about Pete Burns. You can be rich, famous, successful, talented, good-looking and have lots of friends and family around you and seemingly have it all and still be really depressed and feel lonely. It was good that Pete was supportive to Morrissey at one point. Sad that nobody could really help or save Pete Burns in the end.

It got me thinking about other friends that Morrissey had in the past like the English singer-songwriter Lloyd Cole. Also I think David Byrne (from the band 'Talking Heads') was friends with Morrissey at one time.
David Byrne has an American accent and he is American but he also has some Scottish heritage.

Someone said that the English comedian James ('Jim') Moir better known by his stage name Vic Reeves (from the Vic & Bob double act) was friends with Morrissey. Also the English comedian Ricky Gervais. I don't know if this is true or not though.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom