Chlöe Sevigny on Moz and the Smiths (Pitchfork)

Chloë Sevigny on the Music That Made Her So Cool - Pitchfork

Excerpt:

15 - The Smiths: Louder Than Bombs
I first heard the Smiths when I saw Pretty in Pink, and that just became the soundtrack to my life. I didn’t have a car yet, but I was sitting in my friend’s Volvo sedan at the beach and smoking cigarettes and being fake-miserable. That’s where all the weirdo teenagers hung out. They would go down there and skate and smoke weed and drink 40s, and the alternative girls would be there with their black Alice headbands, Docs, and baby doll dresses. It was more of an innocent time.

There was also a club that happened in Greenwich, Connecticut inside a church. Moby DJ’d there, and a lot of industrial boys would hang out there. I always had such crushes on them. It was all about Front 242, and that industrial dance that the boys would do. I always thought it was a really sexy dance.

30 - Morrissey: You Are the Quarry

Morrissey hadn’t put out anything for a long time, and it was just really exciting to have new songs and a tour. I went to 10 of those shows, traveled all around. I was like: I’m a teenager again, I’m in it. In Atlantic City, during “Everyday Is Like Sunday,” I waited for the right moment and went on stage and hugged him. And he was like, “Ah, my heart.” I couldn’t tell if it was because I scared him or if he liked me because I was wearing a floral dress and booties. I was there with two friends, [photographers] Ryan McGinley and Patrick O’Dell, who always take pictures of their friends everywhere, but neither of them got a photo. I was so disappointed. I think everyone was just so stunned. I was really reliving my youth there, maybe because, at 30, it was like a last hurrah of having a moment when you can do that.

40871_ChloeSevigny.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah she was good in big love. She got her start or at least a break in a sonic youth video

Good for Chloe, I would think these days it is actually unfashionable to pronounce one's love for The Moz. From everything I've ever rad about her she is a genuine fan, I seem to remember an article from a while back about her apartment and I think from memory she had a really nice Morrissey/Smiths (can't remember which) print hanging up.

okay gerrit, here it is!
i like chloe. i think she has some substance to her. i think she dresses pretty fab too. and god love her for being one of those people making 40 (42 actually) not look so bad. also, she was in gummo and that automatically makes her cool (go see it if you havent!). i also like that she speaks her mind and called jennifer lawrence 'crass' (being no fan of the bland jlaw myself). and i like that she's wearing the fiorucci shirt that i myself have designs on: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/70/bf/f0/...408317aec27--chloë-sevigny-personal-style.jpg (note that she looks much cooler in it than i will). but! i also think that she's playing the cool game all the time. like everything she does or says is with an eye toward being cool. and it's like, being cool is nice but you dont have to be cool ALL THE TIME! give it a rest! so while it's cool that she likes moz, at the same time im like, eh. because, like, OF COURSE SHE DOES. it's just the sort of thing that she WOULD say she would like, isnt it? i mean, i already KNEW that without her even saying it. i guess what im meaning to say is that she's a little predictable.

anyway, here she is singing 'let me kiss you' from the series 'hit and miss':

Chloë Sevigny on the Music That Made Her So Cool - Pitchfork

Excerpt:

15 - The Smiths: Louder Than Bombs
I first heard the Smiths when I saw Pretty in Pink, and that just became the soundtrack to my life. I didn’t have a car yet, but I was sitting in my friend’s Volvo sedan at the beach and smoking cigarettes and being fake-miserable. That’s where all the weirdo teenagers hung out. They would go down there and skate and smoke weed and drink 40s, and the alternative girls would be there with their black Alice headbands, Docs, and baby doll dresses. It was more of an innocent time.

There was also a club that happened in Greenwich, Connecticut inside a church. Moby DJ’d there, and a lot of industrial boys would hang out there. I always had such crushes on them. It was all about Front 242, and that industrial dance that the boys would do. I always thought it was a really sexy dance.

30 - Morrissey: You Are the Quarry

Morrissey hadn’t put out anything for a long time, and it was just really exciting to have new songs and a tour. I went to 10 of those shows, traveled all around. I was like: I’m a teenager again, I’m in it. In Atlantic City, during “Everyday Is Like Sunday,” I waited for the right moment and went on stage and hugged him. And he was like, “Ah, my heart.” I couldn’t tell if it was because I scared him or if he liked me because I was wearing a floral dress and booties. I was there with two friends, [photographers] Ryan McGinley and Patrick O’Dell, who always take pictures of their friends everywhere, but neither of them got a photo. I was so disappointed. I think everyone was just so stunned. I was really reliving my youth there, maybe because, at 30, it was like a last hurrah of having a moment when you can do that.

40871_ChloeSevigny.jpg

What an awful post! It's always something of a rude shock to be confronted with people who are too self-absorbed to listen, or think, and who consequently treats everything like it is, self-evidently, a prop for their staged existence. With the Pinnacle of artistic value being something that enables narcissistic nostalgia.

I think she is a great actress. She was also in the wonderful movie Boys Don't Cry about the life of Teena Brandon. I was at the 2004 Moz show in DC and it was packed on the floor. She was right in front of me at the front stage and let me rest me elbows on her shoulders due to it being so packed. She is a real cool person.

I literally have no idea who this is...

Volvo? Fake-miserable? Industrial boys? Alternative girls?

She looks like she uses hashtags a lot

ANYONE who likes Morrissey is ok with me.
Apart from:
1 - David Cameron (sic) the ex UK Prime Minister aka Tory Boy.
2 - The Jerk On Here - no need to type HIS name
3 - The other Jerk On Here - no need to type HIS name either !!!
4 - The Lawnmower Repair Man - no need to type HIS name, either...

Music Wins
x

okay gerrit, here it is!
i like chloe. i think she has some substance to her. i think she dresses pretty fab too. and god love her for being one of those people making 40 (42 actually) not look so bad. also, she was in gummo and that automatically makes her cool (go see it if you havent!). i also like that she speaks her mind and called jennifer lawrence 'crass' (being no fan of the bland jlaw myself). and i like that she's wearing the fiorucci shirt that i myself have designs on: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/70/bf/f0/70bff04f0ad2bbc59cd21408317aec27--chloë-sevigny-personal-style.jpg (note that she looks much cooler in it than i will). but! i also think that she's playing the cool game all the time. like everything she does or says is with an eye toward being cool. and it's like, being cool is nice but you dont have to be cool ALL THE TIME! give it a rest! so while it's cool that she likes moz, at the same time im like, eh. because, like, OF COURSE SHE DOES. it's just the sort of thing that she WOULD say she would like, isnt it? i mean, i already KNEW that without her even saying it. i guess what im meaning to say is that she's a little predictable.

anyway, here she is singing 'let me kiss you' from the series 'hit and miss':

Thanks Rifke!
I don't know enough about her, but if you think she is a real Moz-fan and truly loves him, I believe you.
It was just I couldn't find any personal explanation why, but who needs it anyway? I thought I did but not anymore. It's not she has to declare anything at all.
It was more about how cool or uncool it is to like him anyway, nowadays. :rolleyes:
f*** coolness, or is it cool to say that?
Don't know, don't care. :)

She even was in the cast of Dogville by Lars Von Trier. One of the top ten films of all times.

That film probably made her decide to never visit Sweden again. They had her staying at some place near a factory in Trollhättan that was stinking in a way that almost made her fly home again. During that time the Trollhättan film project was quite productive but it only lasted a few years.

The place is of course well known for the SAAB cars or as we who hate SAAB call them, Trollhättan mopeds.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom