Children In Pieces

Everyone is getting a bit carried away about the new b-side because they have heard an instrumental version of it and think it's "awesome"... there's no guarantee that the instrumental version will actually be what is released, maybe its an entirely different tune but with the same name and lyrics. A bit like It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small - didn't someone somehwhere say that the lyrics had been around for ages and applied to quite a few tunes before they settled on the version that was released...?

Just a thought.

Fair point. But this was leaked at the same time as Get Back To The Ghetto, so it's not that old, not the same type of delay that It's Hard To Walk Tall... or You Know I Couldn't Last (aka. The Leeches Go On Removing) - Children In Pieces is relatively fresh. I really, really hope we don't get another Golden Lights or Sweetie Pie, both lauded by the producers until they were butchered for release, because this song, for me anyway, has the most promise of any Moz song I've heard in a long, long time. By the way, is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble hitching on to the time signature/beat? Every time I listen to it I hear the beat at a different part of the verse.

Peter

I have to disagree, personally. I am excited for the single and b-sides not because of the instrumental that i've already heard (and quite frankly i'm not a fan of it as it is), but because of the lyrics and vocals that Moz has come up with. After all, Moz made a point of not founding another BAND once the smiths split up; he has backing musicians who contribute an incredibly great deal to the creative process, but we are here for the sole purpose of Morrissey SOLO. For me, there is absolutely no smiths songs that grow old, neither in verse nor in melody; as much as i love boz, alain, and jesse and the truly amazing and paramount contributions they've made over the years, i cannot say the same. I listen to Morrissey's solo work primarily for the man's own contribution first. :)

By the way, is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble hitching on to the time signature/beat? Every time I listen to it I hear the beat at a different part of the verse.

I don't hear anything unusual. The "verses" (e.g. start through ~0:49) are accentuated on the second beat, and the "chorus" is sometimes accentuated on the second and fourth. Is that what you mean?

Do we know who wrote the music on this one? If not, should we have a poll?

I don't hear anything unusual. The "verses" (e.g. start through ~0:49) are accentuated on the second beat, and the "chorus" is sometimes accentuated on the second and fourth. Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I mean. The lyrics will hopefull make it fall into place. I have absolutely no evidence for this, and I stand up to be knocked down, but it sounds like a Jesse song to me. Again, I could be entirely wrong, but it doesn't have the jangly melodic pickings of Alan, or the easy progressions of Boz. By the way, The drummer on the demo was a short-lived draft-in, but I can't remember his name.

Peter

Yes, that's what I mean. The lyrics will hopefull make it fall into place. I have absolutely no evidence for this, and I stand up to be knocked down, but it sounds like a Jesse song to me. Again, I could be entirely wrong, but it doesn't have the jangly melodic pickings of Alan, or the easy progressions of Boz. By the way, The drummer on the demo was a short-lived draft-in, but I can't remember his name.

That's too bad, because the drums are one of the most interesting things about this version.

I think some of those chord changes at the beginning of the chorus sound kinda like the "there's so much destruction" bit in "All You Need Is Me," so I'd vote Jesse. If so, it'd be the best thing Jesse's written. :D

What are you all hearing in this that i am not?! it just sound like any old instrumental. it's a bit neither-here-nor-there without any lyrics or melody to it...

You can't hear the lyrics? Turn it waaaaay up; they're pretty buried in the mix. Best stuff Morrissey's ever written!

I did that and I can hear the lyrics... wow...

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're away and away
They're always gonna run away

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're running away

Children in pieces
Are young little kindle wood
I see them burning
They all changed their names to chicago

No resistance
No resistance
No resistance

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they'm running away

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're running away and away

I did that and I can hear the lyrics... wow...

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're away and away

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're running away

Children in pieces
Are young little kindle wood
I see them burning
They all changed their names to chicago

No resistance
No resistance
No resistance

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they'm running away

Children in pieces
You can't control them
Why they're running away and away

Stunning:D

Peter

Peter

If it is a Jesse composition, well...I guess people should lay off him for a while ;)

Hmmm...was it the Italian drummer who played on the You Have Killed Me b-sides?

Children in Pieces will be just like the instrumental but with words. The official release will verify. :D

Instrumentally I really like this piece though I wonder how it will be with a new drummer in the crew. I still wonder what it will be about lyrically I'm either thinking a. song about child abuse from a working class perspective or b. a la the destruction all over the world possibly a track exposing glaring human rights violations abroad? Yeah I'd probably put money on a as well unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom