Chaz Costello of SRSQ chooses "Rebel Without Applause" as favorite of 2022 - brooklynvegan.com

I know nothing about the band SRSQ but how incredibly rare is it, these days, to see any other musicians saying that they're still listening to Morrissey's new work. Anyhow, an article about the band members' favourite songs of 2022, including this:

moz.jpg

Stopped reading after “I know I’m not allowed to like Morrissey ”. What a coward. He’s not worth hitting.
too true,you can like anybody you want,do these people not have a spine.

Irish radio djs John Creedon and Tom Dunne, at least, also played the song and liked it a lot.

I don't know who this Chaz person is, but maybe they're referring to the live version of the song. (Because that auto-tune ruins the live version -- it happened to 'Mexico,' and it's happened to 'Rebels.')

Also, be unapologetic -- don't start your spiel with "I know I'm not allowed to like Morrissey, but..."

But what, dick? Who's telling "Chaz" not to like Morrissey? When did people like Chaz stop thinking for themselves?
I know. It's a f***ing cuck move alright.

The guy who posted it was a typical M type fan, I know I'm not meant to like M but I do type BS all very "im not a dog on a chain"
I think the thing about the production is if you hear a proper FLAC version, it's awesome. If you hear an mp3 it sounds underwater. I still prefer the live version. As for the "accepting his past" by ripping off C gates. It's Johnny's past, not his. He didn't write that music. Also, anyone who knows M's music knows he has been "accepting his past" for ages, as there are a load of Johnny-type numbers, in solo career .
I agree its a nice tune though and fair play to the guy for liking it

Re: Cemetry Gates - "Marr also credits Morrissey with 'saving' the song from the dumpster... 'I might have thrown it in the bin had Morrissey not, by chance, heard me playing it. He was the one who said "That's a tune," and suggested we turn it into a song. And he was right.' - Mozipedia, p.70

No one has a monopoly on the past, homie. 🙃

The song is pretty good. The doubled vocals at times reminds me very much of a few Malajusted tracks. The music is just sort of ho-hum, and the sparse part after the second chorus just sounds like filler to me and should've definitely been rewritten. Truthfully, Morrissey's voice at 63 is very contoured, nuanced - the best it's ever been, and he sounds great on this track. It's a shame that the music doesn't match, to me anyway.

I think Spent The Day in Bed was a far better lead album single.

I know. It's a f***ing cuck move alright.
It's not even a cuck move (assuming you're using the word cuck in its new vernacular), it's just confusing to me as to why Chaz would choose to dedicate his life to music, as he is in no less than six bands. It could be seven depending on what hour you read this. I thought the entire point of being a musician was to not give a f*ck about what anyone thinks about you. "Not allowed?" Who's not allowing him? Why does he care? Why should I care what he thinks about a Morrissey song, which I still think got ruined in the studio -- again -- this time by Andrew ("I produced Justin Bieber's albums") Watt. Morrissey needs to walk, Herringbone paddy cap in hand, to Stephen Street and make something great -- wait, I was slapping Chaz around.

Imagine being an artist like young Chaz, where one of the job's biggest perks is not having to give a f*** about petty shit like whether or not someone you don't know cares about what kind of music you listen to. Blah! This kid does not have what it takes to make it, and I didn't even have to listen to a note from any one of his six bands to come to that conclusion. I expect very little from Chaz and that's probably good for this business they call show.

It's not even a cuck move (assuming you're using the word cuck in its new vernacular), it's just confusing to me as to why Chaz would choose to dedicate his life to music, as he is in no less than six bands. It could be seven depending on what hour you read this. I thought the entire point of being a musician was to not give a f*ck about what anyone thinks about you. "Not allowed?" Who's not allowing him? Why does he care? Why should I care what he thinks about a Morrissey song, which I still think got ruined in the studio -- again -- this time by Andrew ("I produced Justin Bieber's albums") Watt. Morrissey needs to walk, Herringbone paddy cap in hand, to Stephen Street and make something great -- wait, I was slapping Chaz around.

Imagine being an artist like young Chaz, where one of the job's biggest perks is not having to give a f*** about petty shit like whether or not someone you don't know cares about what kind of music you listen to. Blah! This kid does not have what it takes to make it, and I didn't even have to listen to a note from any one of his six bands to come to that conclusion. I expect very little from Chaz and that's probably good for this business they call show.
Um, because he's a cuck.

It's a good question though. Who is not allowing him, if anyone?
If one is in the position of handing over authority to others to decide whether it's right for one to like a certain someone then you've lost your seat at the table. Especially if you announce it publicly.

I think you have to have a very fecking slim music taste to think Rebel is one of the best tracks this year. Off the top of my bonce, there was a number of tracks on Suedes lp that are better, nearly every song on Fountains DCs LP is better than that one. Diana Ross with Tame Impala, Turn Up The Sunshine. Drab Majesty did a few tunes this year, that are better and Suffer by Patriarchy.
I think M is still popular among some new bands, he has been around for decades, of course, he is still gonna get new fans. The issue some would say is he isn't making as many new fans as he used to, plus the news fans tend to be basic, rather than like what they once were
I just listened to those songs. Not keen on Tame Impala but I do like ‘Suffer’. Got any other recommendations?
Rebels is a great song. It sounded amazing live and was one of the best he did the night I saw him recently. The vocals sound very dodgy when I listen on streaming. It sounds like auto tune or some sort of phasey effect. Hopefully when the CD comes out it will sound better in that format.

Rebels…” is the fifth best song of 2022, according to Swedish music blog 482 MHz

It’s in Swedish, but I guess most know how to work Google Translate. If not, here’s the gist of it:
“His career may be in shambles, but in the right mood and with the right people by his side, Steven Patrick Morrissey can still write shimmering indie pop songs like no one else. This is his strongest single since at least "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" from 2006.”

If one is in the position of handing over authority to others to decide whether it's right for one to like a certain someone then you've lost your seat at the table. Especially if you announce it publicly.
Fair enough, marred, but my point is that if pressure is being applied to Chaz not to play Morrissey songs, then maybe that pressure is being applied to others like him. These days media companies, channels, stations seem often to receive and broadcast almost, and sometimes actual identical information. If any such policy existed, then record companies' promotional efforts may fall on fallow ground. Hopefully nothing like that is going on though, and only the confusion about release details, being resolved, has caused the go-slow.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom