Charlie Megira

Charlie believed that durin' Elvis's Vegas years, Elvis dressed in the
extravagant clothin', as a way to hide himself.
Elvis took on a clownish image, so that he could concentrate more
on his voice and music.

Charlie was born in Northern Israel, in the Bet She’an area.
"King Solomon said that if there is a heaven, then Bet She’an is the gate where you will enter it.
Actually, though, there was something funny at the entrance of the city not too long ago—the
sign that said ‘Welcome to Bet She’an’ [was covered by] a sign that said ‘Welcome to Texas.' "

Why the Texas sign?

I must have passed through the town in 2008, swinging between Jerusalem and Galilee but don't recall stopping, although Bet She'an is steeped in history.

Why the Texas sign?

I must have passed through the town in 2008, swinging between Jerusalem and Galilee but don't recall stopping, although Bet She'an is steeped in history.

Can't say I know exactly why.
He seemed to talk in a riddlish way at times.
Was kinda wonderin' if he's the one who put up the sign.
Could be a comment on the landscape, the society or maybe a
musical reference.
I always wanted to go to Israel.
Did ya like it there?

Varied landscapes and people there, as you know, with many cultural and historical sights to see, where some of civilisation's most enduring myths were forged and are still playing out. The Wailing Wall and La Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem, The Dead Sea and Sea of Galilee, skirting by the Golan Heights, back to queue into tense Bethlehem, Jaffa port, and where all roads led again, Morrissey in cosmopolitan bauhaus-influenced Tel Aviv by the sea. It was hot! Airport security was severe. It's nice people like you are commemorating Megira, a delicate gutsy ignescent creature, who never fully flowered. Maybe that experimental striving is part of the attraction : )

Charlie was born in Northern Israel, in the Bet She’an area.
"King Solomon said that if there is a heaven, then Bet She’an is the gate where you will enter it.
Actually, though, there was something funny at the entrance of the city not too long ago—the
sign that said ‘Welcome to Bet She’an’ [was covered by] a sign that said ‘Welcome to Texas.' "

love this. love this thread.

Varied landscapes and people there, as you know, with many cultural and historical sights to see, where some of civilisation's most enduring myths were forged and are still playing out. The Wailing Wall and La Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem, The Dead Sea and Sea of Galilee, skirting by the Golan Heights, back to queue into tense Bethlehem, Jaffa port, and where all roads led again, Morrissey in cosmopolitan bauhaus-influenced Tel Aviv by the sea. It was hot! Airport security was severe. It's nice people like you are commemorating Megira, a delicate gutsy ignescent creature, who never fully flowered. Maybe that experimental striving is part of the attraction : )

So ya went to Israel for the Moz concert?
I've heard the bootleg from that concert and it sounds
like folks were havin' a ball.
I liked Israel from seein' it in movies.
All the political and security stuff is a mess, but the country
itself looks kinda nice.

So ya went to Israel for the Moz concert?
I've heard the bootleg from that concert and it sounds
like folks were havin' a ball.
I liked Israel from seein' it in movies.
All the political and security stuff is a mess, but the country
itself looks kinda nice.
A trip to the Holy Land wouldn't be the same without seeing a holy man ; )

Not long before that concert, Morrissey interviewed an Israeli actor, Lior Ashkenazi, having been taken with several films he was in -
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-interview-by-lior-ashkenazi-pics.88607/page-2

He opened with a few lines of Israel by Siouxsie Sioux who had been on the bill but for some reason didn't show up.

I gather you're based in US, maybe Texas, but travel sometimes to do with music e.g. that Berlin occasion you mentioned? Why not check out the scene in Israel sometime? It'd take organising but it's doable. I wonder did Charlie Megira ever see The Smiths or Morrissey? Influenced, you say? A nice cover there in the fresh Austin air : )

A trip to the Holy Land wouldn't be the same without seeing a holy man ; )

Not long before that concert, Morrissey interviewed an Israeli actor, Lior Ashkenazi, having been taken with several films he was in -
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-interview-by-lior-ashkenazi-pics.88607/page-2

He opened with a few lines of Israel by Siouxsie Sioux who had been on the bill but for some reason didn't show up.

I gather you're based in US, maybe Texas, but travel sometimes to do with music e.g. that Berlin occasion you mentioned? Why not check out the scene in Israel sometime? It'd take organising but it's doable. I wonder did Charlie Megira ever see The Smiths or Morrissey? Influenced, you say? A nice cover there in the fresh Austin air : )

Yep, ya seen it all in Israel.
Maybe I just might get there myself one day.
Thanks, I'll have to check out some of those films that were
mentioned in the interview.
I live in The Wild Turkey Community.

"From someone else's perspective, it looks like there's no discipline in it.
It's just someTra-la-la-la that puts stuff right?
They don't understand what a struggle goes on within the person."
- Charlie Megira

Yep, ya seen it all in Israel.
Maybe I just might get there myself one day.
Thanks, I'll have to check out some of those films that were
mentioned in the interview.
I live in The Wild Turkey Community.
I bought a dvd of one of those films, Walk on Water, while in Tel Aviv at that time. It worked several enduring themes into a fast-moving drama. I've retrieved it to watch again soon.

Is the Wild Turkey Community one of humans or birds?

"...by the end of the nineteenth century this particular fowl had nearly become extinct, hunted down, crowded out. The last known wild turkey in Massachusetts was killed in 1851... [in 1914] heartbroken ornithologists tried to reintroduce the wild turkey into New England, without much success. Then, in the early nineteen-seventies, thirty-seven birds captured in the Adirondacks were released in the Berkshires, and their descendants are now everywhere, hundreds of thousands strong, brunching at Boston’s Prudential Center, dining on Boston Common, and foraging alongside the Swan Boats that glide in the pond of Boston Public Garden.." - https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/28/the-return-of-the-wild-turkey

One to add to our animal thread! Will I leave that privilege to you, seeing as you're such an extraordinarily cultured and literate wild turkey?!

Megira's 'tra-la-la-la' worries resemble Morrissey's words on the sleeve of the 2009 Southpaw Grammar re-release:
"I lie awake at night: are there enough curves in the vocal melody? Will anyone care? Must the bass always be in? Why can't all parts tangle? Will this album keep people interested..."

I bought a dvd of one of those films, Walk on Water, while in Tel Aviv at that time. It worked several enduring themes into a fast-moving drama. I've retrieved it to watch again soon.

Is the Wild Turkey Community one of humans or birds?

"...by the end of the nineteenth century this particular fowl had nearly become extinct, hunted down, crowded out. The last known wild turkey in Massachusetts was killed in 1851... [in 1914] heartbroken ornithologists tried to reintroduce the wild turkey into New England, without much success. Then, in the early nineteen-seventies, thirty-seven birds captured in the Adirondacks were released in the Berkshires, and their descendants are now everywhere, hundreds of thousands strong, brunching at Boston’s Prudential Center, dining on Boston Common, and foraging alongside the Swan Boats that glide in the pond of Boston Public Garden.." - https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/28/the-return-of-the-wild-turkey

One to add to our animal thread! Will I leave that privilege to you, seeing as you're such an extraordinarily cultured and literate wild turkey?!

Megira's 'tra-la-la-la' worries resemble Morrissey's words on the sleeve of the 2009 Southpaw Grammar re-release:
"I lie awake at night: are there enough curves in the vocal melody? Will anyone care? Must the bass always be in? Why can't all parts tangle? Will this album keep people interested..."

Ain't gonna say to much about The Wild Turkey Community.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah, that is somethin' that Moz and Charlie have in common.
They both put a lot of thought into their music.

"I want to finally learn how to sing and dance like a serious entertainer
and to communicate with people like a normal person. Maybe I should
take some courses or something."
- Charlie Megira

In June of 2016, in Israel, Charlie played his final three shows.
His hair had been cut down, as Gabi Abudraham was retiring
the persona of Charlie Megira.

On November 5, 2016, havin' retired his Charlie Megira persona,
Gabi Abudraham hung himself in his apartment.
When found, his guitar was plugged in and the amp was still buzzin'.
The inscription on his tombstone was a phrase that he had used to
describe himself, “A sun shining backwards.”

Tags
charlie megira
Back
Top Bottom