Charity Shop record buying

T

Tingle

I listened to Marc Rileys' 'Mint' programme last night on BBC Radio 6 Music for the first time. I like the idea of the show and particularly liked the bit where they (Marc and Bob?) competitively go record shopping in charity shops. It inspired me to dig out some of my charity shop favourites - notably Nick Lowe's 'Breaking Glass' [value £3 apparently without picture sleeve - except mine's got a picture sleeve!].

Of course the wonderful Smiths era coincides perfectly with the demise of the viny record and gaves us 12 inch records (maxi discs) shortly before it all went the way of the CD.

Getting items in charity shops is for me somewhat more thrilling than other purchases because when you go into the shop you never know what you might come out with.

Anyone like to share their experiences?:

1) Favourite Smiths or Morrissey charity shop purchase
2) Most treasured charity shop purchase
3) Most valuable charity shop purchase
4) Rarest charity shop purchase
5) Anything else

Mine:

1) The Smiths 'Singles' [US edition] CD £2 in a Red Cross shop
2) 'Different for girls' by Joe Jackson (25p in what was then the 'Spastics Society' - now known as Scope)
3) possibly 'People get ready' 7" single by Curtis Mayfield on Buddah records (50p in OXFAM)
4) 'Humphrey Lyttleton live at the Bull's Head' - 1984 LP autographed 'to Sylvia' (don't ask) £1 in FARA (charity for Romanian orphans)

I saw a mispressing of the Buzzcocks 'Another music in a different kitchen' which doesn't play 'I Need', this was in Oxfam somewhere in Manchester town centre. This is valued at £15 in Record Collectors rare record price guide, it was £10 in the shop. I wasn't fussed about buying it.

Generally speaking I've never picked up anything worthwhile in any of my local charity shops. That Penetration 'Danger Signs' 12" which they picked up during their charity shop rummage, I got for something ridiculous like 50p at a Market Stall.

> I listened to Marc Rileys' 'Mint' programme last night on BBC Radio 6
> Music for the first time. I like the idea of the show and particularly
> liked the bit where they (Marc and Bob?) competitively go record shopping
> in charity shops. It inspired me to dig out some of my charity shop
> favourites - notably Nick Lowe's 'Breaking Glass' [value £3 apparently
> without picture sleeve - except mine's got a picture sleeve!].

> Of course the wonderful Smiths era coincides perfectly with the demise of
> the viny record and gaves us 12 inch records (maxi discs) shortly before
> it all went the way of the CD.

> Getting items in charity shops is for me somewhat more thrilling than
> other purchases because when you go into the shop you never know what you
> might come out with.

> Anyone like to share their experiences?:

> 1) Favourite Smiths or Morrissey charity shop purchase
> 2) Most treasured charity shop purchase
> 3) Most valuable charity shop purchase
> 4) Rarest charity shop purchase
> 5) Anything else

> Mine:

> 1) The Smiths 'Singles' [US edition] CD £2 in a Red Cross shop
> 2) 'Different for girls' by Joe Jackson (25p in what was then the
> 'Spastics Society' - now known as Scope)
> 3) possibly 'People get ready' 7" single by Curtis Mayfield on Buddah
> records (50p in OXFAM)
> 4) 'Humphrey Lyttleton live at the Bull's Head' - 1984 LP autographed 'to
> Sylvia' (don't ask) £1 in FARA (charity for Romanian orphans)

good to hear you listened to show and liked it... did you like the theme tune at the beginning.. ?? ... best find for me was The Fall - Totally Wired 7 inch for 10p at Oxfam... bought some 10p Johnny Cash albums in Bridlington last year... aah happy days by the seaside..
not too easy finding bargains in London tho...

Well it isn't strictly speaking a Morrissey purchase, but I did pick up a copy of the single "Little Sister" by Elvis Presley. The b-side is "Marie's the Name (of his latest flame). I got that for $1.00 which would be something like 30p.
My most treasured find was a copy of the Go-Betweens album "Black Diamond and the Liberty Express". Inside the cover written in black felt pen is the previous owners name, Lesley Paris. Lesley was in the greatest all girl band of all time, Look Blue, Go Purple. Lesley later went on to be head of Flying Nun Records. Look Blue, Go Purple wrote some great pop songs and I like to think that this album helped influence the band.

Back
Top Bottom