Morrissey Central "CAPITOL RECORDS, LOS ANGELES" (February 17, 2023)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date

Screenshot_20230217-114303~3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't the Manchester band Happy Mondays steal the master tapes of an album from a record company?

I can imagine Morrissey scaling the wall of the Capitol building wearing his Gucci balaclava , Fiona outside in a car, engine running.
I recall The Smiths were planning something similar when Rough Trade were holding up the release of 'The Queen is Dead'. However, it's 2023, not 1985, and the idea that Morrissey gave Capitol Records a set of unique reel-to-reel master tapes is laughable - these days 99.9% of recording is digital, and it's all file sharing. Morrissey would have send over a bunch of files, and I'm sure he'll still be in possession of copies.

The reason he isn't releasing it himself is because he's clearly signed away his legal rights to Capitol. If he genuinely thought they had broken the terms of the licensing agreement he'd have started legal action already. He hasn't. That tells you all you need to know.

Good article. Capitol also made the Beastie Boys re-record Paul's Boutique in its entirety because they weren't happy with the production. Then to add insult to injury, did zero promotion for it.
Isn't it amazing. The suits are too short sighted to see that authenticity always wins the day in terms of artistic merit, longevity, and eventually the bottom line profit margin. The Smiths were treated shoddily by Rough Trade. Here we are again with Moz getting shafted by chimps who wouldn't qualify as test monkeys for a Russian space program.

I'm sorry but I can't believe that an artist of the level of Moz fue tan cagado: wronged that way !!!! In my country Argentina we tell Moz : Moz te re cagaron!!!!!:weary::(

Fiona and Moz apparently don't live in the same reality as me. I have worked for Disney, the Hearst corporation, HBO, and may other large outfits. When you sign with big established company you work for them, not the other way around. I desperately want BOTT to be released, but trying to shame Capitol, or order them around, is counter productive if not utterly futile. If you work with 10 record companies and have a problem with each one of them, the problem is likely you, not the record companies. The paradox here is that Moz only wants to work for them and will not consider any other options.

I can imagine Morrissey scaling the wall of the Capitol building wearing his Gucci balaclava , Fiona outside in a car, engine running.
It's probably FiDo outside in a car, engine running, SER + Damon doing the dirty work and Moz sitting @ home biting nails.

Last edited:
Fiona and Moz apparently don't live in the same reality as me. I have worked for Disney, the Hearst corporation, HBO, and may other large outfits. When you sign with big established company you work for them, not the other way around. I desperately want BOTT to be released, but trying to shame Capitol, or order them around, is counter productive if not utterly futile. If you work with 10 record companies and have a problem with each one of them, the problem is likely you, not the record companies. The paradox here is that Moz only wants to work for them and will not consider any other options.
The artist should not work for them but with them. The fact that these big, fat nomopolies are using workers and collaborators as slaves is one of the reasons why this modern form of capitalism is failing. I stand with Morrissey on this one, although I agree that it will destroy what remains of his carreer.

Are you saying Capitol signed Morrissey AFTER hearing the record? Obviously we have no idea about anything here since literally all the information has been from Morrissey's side, which reeks of unreliable narrator.

I do think RWA is a good song based on the live versions. I am not an audio snob, but the recorded version sounds amateurish. Especially disappointing in that his last album was very strong. I'm certainly curious to hear the record, but none of the live cuts were top tier Morrissey ("Dog" had 2 classics, so those days are not behind him), so much rather him move on to the Whyte album. Bonfire will leak at some point.
Yes bring on the Whyte!

'Capitol Records has announced that they have rewritten some of the lyrics on Morrissey's new album 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' in order to remove language that may be deemed offensive. The decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with various communities to ensure that the lyrics are inclusive and respectful to all listeners.

In a similar vein, Penguin has revealed plans for an abridged version of Morrissey's 'Autobiography', which will exclude all insults directed at overweight individuals. The decision to remove such language was made with the aim of making the book more inclusive and sensitive to readers who may have been affected by such insults.

Capitol Records and Penguin have both stated that they take issues of diversity and inclusion seriously, and are committed to promoting language that is respectful and considerate to all individuals. These measures reflect their dedication to creating a more inclusive and equitable society.'

[ ChatGPT ]

'Roald Dahl books rewritten to remove language deemed offensive.'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

You must be having a laugh! Yes Minister and The Thick of It were among the satire programmes flagged by beleaguered counter-terror Prevent scheme for 'encouraging far-right sympathies'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eleaguered-counter-terror-Prevent-scheme.html

'Capitol Records has announced that they have rewritten some of the lyrics on Morrissey's new album 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' in order to remove language that may be deemed offensive. The decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with various communities to ensure that the lyrics are inclusive and respectful to all listeners.

In a similar vein, Penguin has revealed plans for an abridged version of Morrissey's 'Autobiography', which will exclude all insults directed at overweight individuals. The decision to remove such language was made with the aim of making the book more inclusive and sensitive to readers who may have been affected by such insults.
Yes the new album title is Poor Misunderstood Suicide Bomber (Pronouns: They/Them) - Anger is Bad. It comes out next week.
Richard Dawkins has the best recommendation on how to respond to all this 'inclusive language' nonsense - with 'contemptuous ridicule'.

Last edited:
Right wing trope: "Poor Misunderstood Suicide Bomber"
All Mozzball fans are right wing (yes, all of them). The polar opposite of original Smiths fans.

Capitol Records and Penguin have both stated that they take issues of diversity and inclusion seriously, and are committed to promoting language that is respectful and considerate to all individuals. These measures reflect their dedication to creating a more inclusive and equitable society.'

[ ChatGPT ]

'Roald Dahl books rewritten to remove language deemed offensive.'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

You must be having a laugh! Yes Minister and The Thick of It were among the satire programmes flagged by beleaguered counter-terror Prevent scheme for 'encouraging far-right sympathies'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eleaguered-counter-terror-Prevent-scheme.html
We live in an era of cancellation.Really sad.
Bonfire of teenagers is not offensive.

"The decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with various communities to ensure that the lyrics are inclusive and respectful to all listeners."
How many lyrics of MC's an Anittas shit are offensive?

'Capitol Records has announced that they have rewritten some of the lyrics on Morrissey's new album"

So they will release the album soon?

Last edited:
A couple points to consider:

1. The holdup for BOT is likely nothing to do with the content of BOT, but more likely a result of contractual disputes involving Miley Cyrus' record label, to which Miley's backup vocals on 'Veronica' technically are 'owned' by her label, who don't wish to release her from that obligation for this project. I suspect that Capitol asked Morrissey to re-record the song and he rebuffed them. Unless there is negotiation and compromise on this issue, the album won't be released.

2. The recording industry 'mood' surrounding Morrissey was high as he completed the Vegas residency, signed the Capitol deal and started his U.S. tour. There was a noticable shift on the day that Moz cut short the concert in LA without explanation. The press jumped all over it, and did the same for the shows cancelled due to illness later in the US tour. This likely embarrassed many of the 'suits' that supported him and caused a good deal of the industry backlash.

We live in an era of cancellation.Really sad.
Bonfire of teenagers is not offensive.

"The decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with various communities to ensure that the lyrics are inclusive and respectful to all listeners."
How many lyrics of MC's an Anittas shit are offensive?

'Capitol Records has announced that they have rewritten some of the lyrics on Morrissey's new album"

So they will release the album soon?

Capitol rewriting Moz lyrics is just a joke.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom