Can You Tell a Difference Between Boz/Alain/Jesse's songs?

MozIsGod

When I read the liner notes to every Morrissey release, I always find it interesting to discover what band member wrote what song, how many songs, etc.

Are there any big or subtle differences between Boz and Alain's (and even Jesse) songs that you hear? I know they all write to suit Morrissey's style and taste, but I wonder if some of you think there is a distinct "sound" or voicing to each of their songwriting. I thought Boz's songs sounded a bit different (darker?) in the earlier days but ever since Southpaw I think they're equally matched. So what do you think? :)

Last edited:
I think Jesse's songs lack subtlety and nuance. Moz claims he's got a good sense for pop songs, but I don't know. They're just loud.

Jesse's songs usually only have two ideas in them. But Morrissey likes his compositions and they generally inspire good vocal melodies but the music on its own is painfully simple.
Listened to If You Don't Like Me for the first time in a long time -- it's pretty good (again, mainly due to Morrissey's vocal). Reminds me of a Southpaw-era b-side.

There is some undeniable crossover between Boz and Alain's best work for Moz, but they do have songs that the other would never write. Morrissey's favourites of theirs (at the time of ROTT) -- Reader Meet Author for Boz and Life is a Pigsty for Alain -- are a good example of this.

Are there any big or subtle differences between Boz and Alain's (and even Jesse) songs that you hear?

Of course. Alain writes the good songs, Boz writes the OK songs, and Jesse writes the shit songs.

However, the main problem with Morrissey's music these days is Morrissey. His lyrics are terrible...I imagine if you went back in time and told 80's Morrissey that one day he'd be writing songs with lyrics concerning vomiting, mooning people, lawyers, judges, and smiling children who told him 'he smelled', he'd die of laughter over the absurdity of it.

His lyrics are terrible...I imagine if you went back in time and told 80's Morrissey that one day he'd be writing songs with lyrics concerning vomiting, mooning people, lawyers, judges, and smiling children who told him 'he smelled', he'd die of laughter over the absurdity of it.

Yeah, modern day Morrissey lyrics suck! The old classy Morrissey would never write about something as absurd as mooning. Thank God the Smiths never had lyrics about Morrissey dropping his trousers to the Queen. Can you imagine how awful that would be? :cool:

Yeah, modern day Morrissey lyrics suck! The old classy Morrissey would never write about something as absurd as mooning. Thank God the Smiths never had lyrics about Morrissey dropping his trousers to the Queen. Can you imagine how awful that would be? :cool:

There is a BIG difference between those two. It is called "subtlety" and it is something Morrissey lost (along with his natural hairline) during his seven year absence...

There is a BIG difference between those two. It is called "subtlety" and it is something Morrissey lost (along with his natural hairline) during his seven year absence...

That's one opinion.
PS. The .gif in your signature makes this place laggy as shit. :thumb:

That's one opinion.
PS. The .gif in your signature makes this place laggy as shit. :thumb:

One you don't share? If not, in your opinion, what are his best lyrical works as of late?

PS- It loads pretty quickly on my end.

can I really tell? :confused: of course not, but I mainly love pre-Jesse songs so that makes it easy to know the ones I mainly like are not his :p
however, of the newer ones, I really like:
"Life Is a Pigsty"
"Ganglord"
"Christian Dior"
"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"
"Shame Is the Name"
-did Jesse write any of those? :straightface:

I must admit I cannot really tell the difference between Boz and Jesse's songs. Alain's are a bit different, I guess...Still, Marr's, Vini's and Gannon's are far superior! :D

I must admit I cannot really tell the difference between Boz and Jesse's songs. Alain's are a bit different, I guess...Still, Marr's, Vini's and Gannon's are far superior! :D

Boz's songs often have instruments other than guitars (e.g. keyboards on Christian Dior and Camden, clarinet in Paris etc) whereas I think Jesse's are pretty much all guitar based.
I think most people would agree that Alain's written the best songs on recent albums although Boz wrote the best received songs on Vauxhall.
Jesse's songs are pretty solid, never particularly bad or good, but I'd say the best ones are definitely worth having (e.g. Children in Pieces, All you need is me, OK by myself).
It's also only fair to point out that some of the very worst songs in recent albums were Morrissey/Whyte compositions e.g. 15 miles of shit, Father must be killed etc.

Boz's songs often have instruments other than guitars (e.g. keyboards on Christian Dior and Camden, clarinet in Paris etc) whereas I think Jesse's are pretty much all guitar based.
I think most people would agree that Alain's written the best songs on recent albums although Boz wrote the best received songs on Vauxhall.
Jesse's songs are pretty solid, never particularly bad or good, but I'd say the best ones are definitely worth having (e.g. Children in Pieces, All you need is me, OK by myself).
It's also only fair to point out that some of the very worst songs in recent albums were Morrissey/Whyte compositions e.g. 15 miles of shit, Father must be killed etc.

Just because you don't like Father Must Be Killed.
It is not one of the worst songs.

Children in Pieces? Nah, it didn't cut the mustard for me...
I just don't think Jesse is good enough and I think Morrissey needs a complete new line up.
Anything with a 1980s Indie Guitar Jangle will probably put Mr Morrissey back into success, that's what I think anyway. It's what made Morrissey famous and its what would probably please loads of fans!
Bring Back The Jangly Guitars!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you don't like Father Must Be Killed.
It is not one of the worst songs.

oh, it's just horrible. awful, clumsy lyrics and crap tune. two people arguing about the merits of one song is pretty pointless but, I'm afraid, if you check the biggest Morrissey-song poll to date, it's way down near the bottom - most of us think it's dire.
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/83646-The-Moz-Smiths-Top-100-FINAL-RESULTS!!/page2

100) Munich Air Disaster 1958 7,36
101) I Knew I Was Next 7,36
102) Pregnant For The Last Time 7,35
103) Oh Well I’ll Never Learn 7,34
104) The Operation 7,33
105) Good Looking Man About Town 7,32
106) King Leer 7,32
107) How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? 7,31
108) The Youngest Was The Most Loved 7,30
109) Do Your Best and Don’t Worry 7,30
110) Skin Storm 7,30
111) A Song From Under The Floorboards 7,29
112) Let The Right One Slip In 7,27
113) Teenage Dad On His Estate 7,27
114) Wide To Receive 7,26
115) Human Being 7,26
116) Interlude 7,26
117) That’s Entertainment 7,24
118) Michael’s Bones 7,18
119) I Am Two People 7,17
120) I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7,17
121) Don’t Make Fun Of Daddy’s Voice 7,15
122) Bengali In Platforms 7,13
123) This Is Not Your Country 7,06
124) Now I Am A Was 7,01
125) On The Streets I Ran 6,99
126) Pashernate Love 6,98
127) Heir Apparent 6,94
128) Redondo Beach 6,93
129) Dial-A-Cliché 6,90
130) Christian Dior 6,87
131) Roy’s Keen 6,85
132) At Amber 6,82
133) Dagenham Dave 6,81
134) The Public Image 6,80
135) Ammunition 6,75
136) Moonriver 6,67
137) At Last I Am Born 6,67
138) Margaret On The Guillotine 6,65
139) Mexico 6,60
140) Cosmic Dancer 6,59
141) Best Friend On The Payroll 6,57
142) Black Eyed Susan 6,52
143) The Father Who Must Be Killed 6,51
144) East West 6,51
145) America Is Not The World 6,44
146) Ambitious Outsiders 6,36
147) There Speaks A True Friend 6,33
148) Asian Rut 6,32
149) He Cried 6,26
150) You’ve Had Her 6,24
151) All The Lazy Dykes 6,11
152) Slum Mums 6,10
153) Tony The Pony 6,04
154) Get Off The Stage 6,04
155) Noise Is The Best Revenge 6,00
156) Found Found Found 5,85
157) The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye 5,78
158) Sweetie Pie 5,66
159) Sorrow Will Come In The End 5,50
160) Papa Jack 5,05
161) Journalists Who Lie 4,79

Last edited:
Children in Pieces? Nah, it didn't cut the mustard for me...
I just don't think Jesse is good enough and I think Morrissey needs a complete new line up.
Anything with a 1980s Indie Guitar Jangle will probably put Mr Morrissey back into success, that's what I think anyway. It's what made Morrissey famous and its what would probably please loads of fans!
Bring Back The Jangly Guitars!

In the current situation, I still think Jesse's best songs are worth including (they're better than Alain and Boz's worst ones).
However, I also much prefer the jangly sound and would kill for some more Street compositions. The SP Morrissey highlight of the last 18 months (for me) has been the glorious jangle-pop of Lifeguard, Save me from life.

In the current situation, I still think Jesse's best songs are worth including (they're better than Alain and Boz's worst ones).
However, I also much prefer the jangly sound and would kill for some more Street compositions. The SP Morrissey highlight of the last 18 months (for me) has been the glorious jangle-pop of Lifeguard, Save me from life.

Yes!! Why on earth did they leave the piano track off from Oh Phoney on the new Bona Drag remaster?? That was terrible! It was the worst thing they could have done to that wonderful demo, as the piano was what made the actual song! I dislike Morrissey for doing that...

Back
Top Bottom