Can you recommend me (cheap) veggie restaurants and record stores in London?

CeciDeMorrissey

Steven Patrick I Love You
Well... Does "cheap" exist in London? I don't think it does according to what I've been told.

But anyway I need to know where to go to eat veggie food and if possible some less expensive record store where I can try to complete my Morrissey collection.. Any other Morrissey place will be highly appreciated.

Ah!! Some Morrissey - The Smiths T-Shirt place, too?

Thank you so much!! :p

Oh! I'm gonna be staying at the Sleep Inn Hotel at Prescott Street...

But anyway I need to know where to go to eat veggie food

Based on my visits there, I recommend looking for Indian take-away restaurants. They are to the UK what Chinese restaurants are to the US--greasy and hardly authentic, but ubiquitous and cheap. Unlike Chinese restaurants, you're guaranteed to get vegetarian food if it's labeled as such. I don't know what the equivalents are in Chile--probably American restaurants. :)

Based on my visits there, I recommend looking for Indian take-away restaurants. They are to the UK what Chinese restaurants are to the US--greasy and hardly authentic, but ubiquitous and cheap. Unlike Chinese restaurants, you're guaranteed to get vegetarian food if it's labeled as such. I don't know what the equivalents are in Chile--probably American restaurants. :)

Chinese too!!! :D

I don't like Indian food... Way too hot and spicy, thank you anyway!

There are lots of veggie places in London. Best to go to a veggie eatery. All restaurants by law have to offer at least 2 veggie main meals, but not all are careful or truthful about the food. For example veggie food may go under the same grill as meaty.:mad:

Get a detailed map or A-Z on arrival. It will help a lot.:)

There are lots of veggie places in London. Best to go to a veggie eatery. All restaurants by law have to offer at least 2 veggie main meals, but not all are careful or truthful about the food. For example veggie food may go under the same grill as meaty.:mad:

When did this law go into effect?!? It certainly wasn't around when I was last in the UK in the mid-90s!

I highly recommend Eat and Two Veg, on Marleybone high street.
its a veggie/vegan place and is great, with massive portions. and nice people, you may have to book, or be prepared to wait for a table.
http://www.eatandtwoveg.com/eatv.php

Hello:)

not really cheap but very nice:

http://www.rani.uk.com/

& look ere my dear!

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/173.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

records & Cds.

http://www.mveshops.co.uk/info/locations.htm

Out On The Floor
Sells secondhand records, CDs and tapes. A great place to browse for that elusive blast from the past. 10 Inverness Street, London, NW1.Tel: 020 7267 5989

Rhythm Records on Camden High Street

Rhythm Records was shutdown few years ago.

Wow! I have good info here!! Sadly, my free time will be quite limited there, since I'l be working, but if those places are not really far from where I'll be working and staying, I'll definitively go and have a look... By "not cheap" what do you mean?? What's an average meal price for two at, i.e., Eat and Two? Are you talking about 50 pounds? (which means that'd be 100 dollars! :eek:) I don't have a clue about average prices in London, I just know is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

I'm gonna check the Time Out London! I was suscribed to the NYC edition when I lived there and it was going out guide always :D Thank you!

Last edited:
Re: Trafalgar Square (& area) recommendations

No need to start a new thread, I'll just piggy back onto Ceci :)

I'm staying at the Thistle in Trafalgar Square soon and was wondering what local flair you Londoners would recommend we check out. I couldn't be part of this international forum at a better time ;) I'm excited about the area we're staying in, seems to have a lot of action 24/7. I was told to check out an old English pub on James Street (the name?), restaurants Busaba Eathai & Arbutus in Soho and some french rest. near Wordscomb and Dansy? We'll be doing the usual tourist things for the several days we are there but I will be on a secret mission to find a Morrissey or Smiths t-shirt...help! Of course we will go to Picadilly -with 'Picadilly Palare' in my head all day =o)

Thanks, dearest London peeps! Any help is appreciated!

Well... Does "cheap" exist in London? I don't think it does according to what I've been told.

But anyway I need to know where to go to eat veggie food and if possible some less expensive record store where I can try to complete my Morrissey collection.. Any other Morrissey place will be highly appreciated.

Ah!! Some Morrissey - The Smiths T-Shirt place, too?

Thank you so much!! :p

Oh! I'm gonna be staying at the Sleep Inn Hotel at Prescott Street...

i'm in london for a few days and i went in sister rays which is situated on berwick street soho, just off oxford street. to the best of my recollection they had the following items. the smiths; vinyl in pink,yellow,blue & red. meat is murder ;portugese vinyl in green & white. teh queen is dead; portugese vinyl in green & maybe another colour i'm not sure. meat is murder & the queen is dead picture discs. handsome devils 12in. this charming man 7in. heaven knows i'm miserable now 12in. i just want to see the boy happt 12in pic disc and part 1&2 7in. interesting drug 12in. TLOTFIP 12in. there may of been 1 or 2 more but nothin thet stood out. the shop a couple of yards down had hatful of hollow(gatefold lp) in the window. hope this assists you in some small way.:cool:

No need to start a new thread, I'll just piggy back onto Ceci :)

I'm staying at the Thistle in Trafalgar Square soon and was wondering what local flair you Londoners would recommend we check out. I couldn't be part of this international forum at a better time ;) I'm excited about the area we're staying in, seems to have a lot of action 24/7. I was told to check out an old English pub on James Street (the name?), restaurants Busaba Eathai & Arbutus in Soho and some french rest. near Wordscomb and Dansy? We'll be doing the usual tourist things for the several days we are there but I will be on a secret mission to find a Morrissey or Smiths t-shirt...help! Of course we will go to Picadilly -with 'Picadilly Palare' in my head all day =o)

Thanks, dearest London peeps! Any help is appreciated!

Those earlier threads maybe helpful?

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=58962

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=61176

;)

Thanks, Kewpie. Why didn't I think of that (search: London) That's why you're a so-knowing-Mod and I'm...well, not! Sometimes I need a little hand-holding ;) esp as my departure draws near (i.e. time is of the essence) I checked 'em out and found some good stuff. Will print these and other tips at work and take it with me. I! thank! you! (all)!

Here's another old thread with info specific to record shopping in London.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=75751

As for restaurants, I'm a vegan and usually stick with ethnic foods. They aren't cheap, but I've never had a bad meal at Woodlands in Panton St. nr. the Piccadilly Tube. It's in the theater district and they're fast if you're catching a show. Also, Wagamama pretty consistent if you want Pan Asian. The food at the S&M Cafe is always really fresh. And also in your area, the Cafe in the Crypt under St. Martin In The Fields is set to reopen 10/1. I love that place. There are used book shops up and down Charing Cross Road and you can find some great stuff. Lastly, if you're out and about and want a top notch bookstore with the most awesome original art deco ladies' room in London, don't miss Waterstones on Piccadilly. they also have a little cafe on the 5th floor with a marvelous view, and they're open late.

Sadly the church which owns many properties in Charing Cross Road is cashing in, increased the rent.
Second hand bookshops are disappearing from there. :(

i'm in london for a few days and i went in sister rays which is situated on berwick street soho, just off oxford street. to the best of my recollection they had the following items. the smiths; vinyl in pink,yellow,blue & red. meat is murder ;portugese vinyl in green & white. teh queen is dead; portugese vinyl in green & maybe another colour i'm not sure. meat is murder & the queen is dead picture discs. handsome devils 12in. this charming man 7in. heaven knows i'm miserable now 12in. i just want to see the boy happt 12in pic disc and part 1&2 7in. interesting drug 12in. TLOTFIP 12in. there may of been 1 or 2 more but nothin thet stood out. the shop a couple of yards down had hatful of hollow(gatefold lp) in the window. hope this assists you in some small way.:cool:

http://www.sisterray.co.uk

Sadly the church which owns many properties in Charing Cross Road is cashing in, increased the rent.
Second hand bookshops are disappearing from there. :(

Yes, each time I go back there are fewer and the prices are higher. Last year I got most of my books in charity shops, at boot sales, or down in Brighton, but friends told me last week that Brighton's changed quite a bit as well.
:(:(

I'm already in Milan and tomorrow we head for London!! I'm worn out!! And with 6 hours less in my country, so I'll have to take my medicines at 4 am!! argh!! I'm so happy and excited... Thank you to all of you who tried to help me... :) To bed now!!

Back
Top Bottom