Can you help me find a particular review of Hand in Glove

Hey, board! I'm trying to find something I once read about "Hand in Glove" -- a review, an article about the first album, something. It made an argument that the the single wasn't as much of a hit as Morrissey thought it should be when it first came out, so through live performance, Peel shows, compilations, and the force of his will, he compelled it into its absolutely central place in the Smiths' canon. I don't know how I feel about this argument, but I really want to find the source of it.

I thought at first it might be the Spin Alternative Record Guide, but I bought a new copy, and it's not. Then maybe the Allmusic song review? No luck there either, unless there's an older version archived somewhere. So help! Does anyone here know where this comes from?! Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Re: Can you help me find a particular review of "Hand in Glove"

Thanks! I've spent a lot of time on both in the past, and I don't think what I'm looking for is there, but it's worth another shot.

never seen plundering desire really impressive thanks Kewpie.

Hey, board! I'm trying to find something I once read about "Hand in Glove" -- a review, an article about the first album, something. It made an argument that the the single wasn't as much of a hit as Morrissey thought it should be when it first came out, so through live performance, Peel shows, compilations, and the force of his will, he compelled it into its absolutely central place in the Smiths' canon. I don't know how I feel about this argument, but I really want to find the source of it.

I thought at first it might be the Spin Alternative Record Guide, but I bought a new copy, and it's not. Then maybe the Allmusic song review? No luck there either, unless there's an older version archived somewhere. So help! Does anyone here know where this comes from?! Thanks thanks thanks!!!

I looked in Songs That Saved Your Life; it references a review of the song from The Catalogue, 1988. Maybe that helps? Also mentions an article in Record Mirror.

never seen plundering desire really impressive thanks Kewpie.

Ditto for me as well. Looks like a great site

Dave

Tags
hand in glove handinglove reviews single singles
Back
Top Bottom