Can we Soloists excert some pressure for a new album?

He's not going to get signed to a label at the moment. They'll wait until he's got a publisher for his autobiography then they'll sign him.

The book publishers, dvd producers & record labels all have synchronised watches. One isn't going to act until they can bang out a schedule with the others.

He's not going to get signed to a label at the moment. They'll wait until he's got a publisher for his autobiography then they'll sign him.

The book publishers, dvd producers & record labels all have synchronised watches. One isn't going to act until they can bang out a schedule with the others.

Wasn't there a news piece that included a bit of an interview with someone from Penguin saying that they'd be willing to look into his demands? I feel like by this point it's already in the works, because in another interview he said the book would be out by December 2012 (the same interview he slags off Michael Buble). If he's saying this, then it probably means that the wheels are already turning..

Wasn't there a news piece that included a bit of an interview with someone from Penguin saying that they'd be willing to look into his demands? I feel like by this point it's already in the works, because in another interview he said the book would be out by December 2012 (the same interview he slags off Michael Buble). If he's saying this, then it probably means that the wheels are already turning..

Well Penguin did announce this week that they're going to cease giving electronic copies of their books to libraries & we know how little Morrissey cares about downloads. Maybe that's one of his demands! :)

I think he reached his top... as well as Bowie did.
He doesn't nned to leased anything and I do believe it won't happen soon.

It's easy to have this mentality when you have no knowledge of Morrissey's completely unreasonable expectations for a record deal.
I find it very unbelievable, however, that someone could be so deluded that they would think that anything posted on this website could make anything NEAR a significant change in Morrissey's career moves.

I second that emotion.

If you're looking for some straws to grasp at, the fact that Morrissey has recorded sessions with Tony Visconti is something positive. So that means there is, at minimum, one single already recorded and in the can...the bad news is, whatever that song is, it's gonna suck. With no Whyte compositions, Tobias on guitar and songwriting duties, and Morrissey's lyrics and vocal range dying a slow, paniful death, there really isn't much hope for the new album.

Still, I don't think it is going to be much longer before a statement is released about the new record deal and album...

If you're looking for some straws to grasp at, the fact that Morrissey has recorded sessions with Tony Visconti is something positive. So that means there is, at minimum, one single already recorded and in the can...the bad news is, whatever that song is, it's gonna suck. With no Whyte compositions, Tobias on guitar and songwriting duties, and Morrissey's lyrics and vocal range dying a slow, paniful death, there really isn't much hope for the new album.

Still, I don't think it is going to be much longer before a statement is released about the new record deal and album...
Hi Vivahate, do you really dislike the last album that much? I thought it was pretty good. Also, a lot of the reports from the current are that his voice is in good form.
Ofcourse, this is just my opinion.
What do you think was his last decent album?

Hi Vivahate, do you really dislike the last album that much? I thought it was pretty good. Also, a lot of the reports from the current are that his voice is in good form.
Ofcourse, this is just my opinion.
What do you think was his last decent album?

Yes, I dislike 'Years Of Refusal' greatly. Poorly mixed. Sloppy lead guitar. Mostly poor lyrics.
'You Are The Quarry' was his last decent album...why? No Jesse Tobias.

His voice is in 'good form' as much as a 52 year old man's voice can be...but you have to face the facts, his voice now is a shell of what it used to be. His voice now is nowhere near the voice that made me start listening to him. It is deep and monotone and he rarely varies from that these days, though he could if he wanted to. At least he isn't covering up his weaknesses with random noises during live performances now, though.

He doesn't care about his backing music, he has stopped putting in an effort lyrically and he doesn't try to push himself vocally...I feel he has wasted his talent these last 7 years.

Good point about the Visconti session - I'd forgotten.
Whereas I don't quite share your antipathy towards the new songs, I'd still say that if there is no Whyte or Street involvement, and we've just got Boorer/Tobias contributions, the new album could well be his worst ever (yes, even worse than Who Ate Me Curry and Southpaw Grammar). Boz has clearly written some brilliant songs in the past. Action is a sturdy enough Radio 2-friendly single and Art Hounds is a good piece of music, but if everything else is on a lower level than these two, I think we're in trouble...

His voice is in 'good form' as much as a 52 year old man's voice can be...but you have to face the facts, his voice now is a shell of what it used to be. His voice now is nowhere near the voice that made me start listening to him. It is deep and monotone and he rarely varies from that these days, though he could if he wanted to. At least he isn't covering up his weaknesses with random noises during live performances now, though.

Agreed. I always laugh when I see posts from this past year which say, "His voice sounds the best it ever has."

Agreed. I always laugh when I see posts from this past year which say, "His voice sounds the best it ever has."

I'm also in the minority who prefers his singing voice from the early 'solo' days and the Smiths.
However, I thought it sounded great in the live shows I saw back in the summer. His singing on I Know It's Over was a sublime as the recorded version.

I'm also in the minority who prefers his singing voice from the early 'solo' days and the Smiths.
However, I thought it sounded great in the live shows I saw back in the summer. His singing on I Know It's Over was a sublime as the recorded version.

Me too :)

Well I have to embarass myself and say that I think his voice improves with time. I find it richer and deeper as he ages. This is not unusual. Sinatra at 50 was at his peak. Because of this I prefer his later interpretations of Smiths songs.

Moz cannot get a Record Deal, this is what he says (if I am not wrong) It just seems insane as nowadays even an unknown bloke who cannot sing can actually get one and Moz cannot.....There must be things that we do not know..for example the conditions Moz imposes onto a Record Label. Please help me guys:confused::confused::confused:
Cheers Moz

If MarK E.Smith can get a record out...

Well I have to embarass myself and say that I think his voice improves with time. I find it richer and deeper as he ages. This is not unusual. Sinatra at 50 was at his peak. Because of this I prefer his later interpretations of Smiths songs.

I'm not gonna lie, I would've LOVED to have heard Sinatra's take on a Smiths' song. I don't think it would've even mattered which one.

I enjoy discussing the quality of his albums, because there's so much sporadic variation. When listening to an album, or a single, or even just an album track (with any band/musician), I try to imagine how such an album/single would fare as a debut/comeback. I know it's a bit unrealistic because mature, personal albums like Vauxhall and I fit nicely into the middle of a discography, but someone must know what I mean.

I think You Are The Quarry was a great comeback. I think Viva Hate was a good solo debut. I think Vauxhall and I was perfect. I think Your Arsenal was excellent. All the old favourites, there. The other albums, however, and the majority of the new songs, don't really live up to my (very flawed, I know) 'imagine-it-being-a-debut' criteria.

I don't particularly want to be cruel about Morrissey's work, but as a fan I must be honest; do you suppose that, singing 'I Know It's Over', 'Shoplifters Of The World Unite' and 'Maladjusted' ('Maladjusted' being my favourite of his solo songs), and then singing 'The Kid's A Looker' and 'People Are The Same Everywhere', Morrissey notices the drastic drop in lyrical (and musical) quality? Or do you reckon he thinks they're just as good? He's certainly extremely confident with his new material, whatever the case.

Last edited:
The reason Morrissey might never get a record deal is because what he thinks it means to release a record and what record companies think is completely different.

Morrissey wants to record a whole album, have it released on vinyl and have lots of promotion.

Record companies want to do everything digitally because it's cheaper and it's the way most music is sold these days.

Morrissey said he has no interest in starting his own label and he has said he has no interest in doing a digital only release.

Morrissey is either going to need to change his mind, get very lucky with a record deal or the songs will just go unrecorded and unreleased.

Back
Top Bottom