Can we bury Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar once and for all?

jaypayton

What amazes me about Morrissey is he seems to have no idea on how his material is perceived by the public. I noticed on the current tour he is playing sev songs from Maladjusted...WHY? I think most people would prefer Viva Hate or Smith's songs instead. Maladjusted almost singlehandedly ended his career. Its not exactly a shining achievement. And its not the type of album that has aged well and all of a sudden now people see it's genius. It's just a shit album along with southpaw grammar. The fact he reissued Maladjusted (and southpaw grammar for that matter) is clueless. These albums are to the Moz catalog what 'Never Let Me Down' and 'Tonight' are to the Bowie catalog. It would just be nice to pretend they don't exist, instead of having it shoved own our throats by playing songs from them on a tour where its 50 dollars a ticket. Instead of reissuing those albums, Moz should have burned the master tapes....

Morrissey doesn't choose his setlist based on what he thinks fans want to hear, he plays whatever he feels like. Trouble Loves Me is one of the best songs he's ever written, as is Lost.

What amazes me about Morrissey is he seems to have no idea on how his material is perceived by the public. QUOTE]

I think you'll find that a lot of fans (not just the obsessives) actually find Maladjusted and Southpaw to be some of Morrissey's best works. I think Southpaw for example, was a great move for Morrissey because he moved away from the sounds of Vauxhall and I and made something completely different. I have the reissue and it's one of few reissues that is actually a good listen and tracks like, 'Nobody Loves Us' and 'Southpaw' are some of Morrissey's best songs to my ears. Maladjusted is a mixed bag for me, but again there are some excellent tracks, one of which is the title track which a lot of fans enjoy, even those who aren't too keen on the album.

To be honest I'd much rather Morrissey stop playing these so called 'classics' and start playing some of these neglected tracks more often. After all, how many more times do we really need to hear First of The Gang or Everyday?

i like both those albums, so no.

+1

Maladjusted has a minimum of 3 AWESOME songs. good enough for me. f*** all haters.

PS: If anything ended his career, it was YATQ. :|

PPS: Then he revived it with ROTT, so w/e....

'Nobody Loves Us' and 'Southpaw' are some of Morrissey's best songs to my ears. Maladjusted is a mixed bag for me, but again there are some excellent tracks, one of which is the title track which a lot of fans enjoy, even those who aren't too keen on the album.

Yes, to all this.

What amazes me about Morrissey is he seems to have no idea on how his material is perceived by the public.

Really? That's what amazes you about Morrissey?

I noticed on the current tour he is playing sev songs from Maladjusted...WHY?

Because they're great songs, particularly the title track, which trumped the whole of Britpop.

I think most people would prefer Viva Hate or Smith's songs instead.

Do you honestly think that his setlist is the result of a democracy, or should be? It's not build your own burger. And his concerts are what, 25 percent Smiths tracks anyway? As for Viva Hate, you should have been around in 2002.

Maladjusted almost singlehandedly ended his career.

And yet he's released three subsequent studio LPs, continues to sell out shows, gets booked on major television programs, and is constantly in the press. Somebody better go let him know it's been over for 16 years.

Its not exactly a shining achievement.

Not unless you consider 11 perfect songs a shining achievement...

And its not the type of album that has aged well and all of a sudden now people see it's genius.

Probably similar to you in 16 years, except for the second part.

It's just a shit album along with southpaw grammar.

You accidentally wrote 'shit' instead of 'phenomenal'...oopsie!

The fact he reissued Maladjusted (and southpaw grammar for that matter) is clueless.

That may be the most poorly structured sentence anyone on here has ever written.

These albums are to the Moz catalog what 'Never Let Me Down' and 'Tonight' are to the Bowie catalog.

Stalwart examples of the genius that is Alain Whyte? Whyte never played for Bowie, you silly goose.

It would just be nice to pretend they don't exist,

Like your writing skills?

instead of having it shoved own our throats by playing songs from them on a tour where its 50 dollars a ticket.

50 dollars is a lot? And how are the songs "shoved down our throats?" He is playing an infinitesimal amount of tracks from that period this time around. In a 20-23 song set we're getting what, a couple of them? Wow, that's just brutal.

Instead of reissuing those albums, Moz should have burned the master tapes....

Morrissey, take note: a semi-literate goon has retroactive advice for you.

Most people I know who are big fans do not even own those albums or tossed them away after 1 listen. If you people are claiming Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar as one of his best works, you are clearly in the minority...........and he released 3 LPs after a 7 year hiatus, partially because he couldnt get a record deal following southpaw and maladjusted

drowned in sound review of maladjusted is pretty entertaining

Statistically there is likely to be somebody reading this who will be dismayed at the fact that former single ‘Roy’s Keen’ has been omitted from the reworked Maladjusted. And if I ever meet that person I will beat them until both of us are crying.

How near-identical personnel to Southpaw... created this wretched artifact is hard to fathom... maybe put it down to the pandemic of awfulness in UK music at the time, Britpop’s very own swine flu. Arguably the attraction here is the belated inclusion of once controversial track ‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’, in which Morrissey recites an actual death threat to former Smiths drummer Mike Joyce over what sounds like a DFS advert. To be honest it’s one of the more entertaining endeavors on a revamp that actually makes Maladjusted even harder to bear, despite dispatching with the aforementioned ‘Roy’s Keane’. It's sort of like escaping a mugger only to step on a landmine. And then getting mugged.

Chief culprit is the astonishingly bad ‘This Is Not Your Country’, a one-time B-side which is roughly as useful a comment on The Troubles as Band Aid II was on world hunger. And it goes on for seven and a half bloody minutes. The whole record is appalling, turgid, over-orchestrated and self-absorbed in an entirely tedious way (Southpaw..., by contrast, must have the lowest occurrence of the first person singular on any Moz record). Now bloated to 15 tracks (the original only contained ten), and with a further original (‘Papa Jack’) excised, Morissey has almost totally reworked this record, yet actually made it worse. Hence the most impressive thing about Maladjusted is that it isn’t just the worst album of Morrissey’s career; it's the two worst albums.
"

Most people I know who are big fans do not even own those albums or tossed them away after 1 listen. If you people are claiming Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar as one of his best works, you are clearly in the minority...........and he released 3 LPs after a 7 year hiatus, partially because he couldnt get a record deal following southpaw and maladjusted

Says you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maladjusted is indeed wretched. That crouching, no quiff, 90s era boy band thin sweater pic on the cover was the tip off. God f***ing awful.

Alma Matters is a terrible terrible single; Sunny, Dagenham Dave, and Alma are all tied for worst single in my opinion.

Maladjusted is a boring blur of a song, trying to be "Heroes", ends up as zeros.

Roy's Keen has the corniest Moz lyrics ever, like the retard child of Vicar In A Tutu, too bad it is the only catchy song; but since he deleted it, he should rework the lyrics and re-release it.

Sorrow with its lawyer/whip sound/liar is so cringe worthy and unintentionally hilarious it makes me wanna puke and shit at the same time.

The rest of the songs are beyond bland; bland lyrics, and bland production.

I think the reason there is not one solid or memorable guitar riff, is due to the fact that there were so many great ones on Southpaw Grammar. Say what you will about Moz's lyrics on that album which where pretty silly and lame (with the exception of Southpaw); but the band is terrific, the backing music is terrific, the prog elements and songs lengths are bad, but the core music is great. Which is not the case on Maladjusted. It is as if Alan and Boz knew Moz wouldn't be bringing his A game anymore, so they busted out trifles, just chord progressions with no melodic hooks or riffs. I would be mad too, listen to Honey You Know Where To Find Me, one of Boz's strongest, catchiest riffs, with a totally throw away shit lyric on top.

The only reason Moz plays songs off that album live, is to recreate it's worth in his own eyes. There is a reason he re-released it with a different track listing and cover, because he knows it was awful. He is ashamed of it, why else would he try to "fix" it? Morrissey in his own mind is perfect/wants to be always perfect, he knows...he knows.

He plays Maladjusted and Alma Matters live to say to himself, "See, these aren't so bad, right Mozzer? They didn't singlehandedly put me in exile for several years. They didn't bomb on the singles and album sales charts because they were bad! No, it was bad marketing! They didn't frighten off every record label from my work, even when the bands I helped influence (Blur, Radiohead, Oasis) were doing so well in the industry at the time. It wasn't me, it wasn't my choice of collaborators or my own lyrics that were at fault. It wasn't like I could've crossed over into the mainstream at the time when Brit pop was at its highest popularity ever, no! Just bad luck sent from Mike Joyce Voodoo spells! My fans really love these songs! They don't see them as filler between Everyday and Please, please! These songs are just as classic!"

drowned in sound review of maladjusted is pretty entertaining

Statistically there is likely to be somebody reading this who will be dismayed at the fact that former single ‘Roy’s Keen’ has been omitted from the reworked Maladjusted. And if I ever meet that person I will beat them until both of us are crying.

How near-identical personnel to Southpaw... created this wretched artifact is hard to fathom... maybe put it down to the pandemic of awfulness in UK music at the time, Britpop’s very own swine flu. Arguably the attraction here is the belated inclusion of once controversial track ‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’, in which Morrissey recites an actual death threat to former Smiths drummer Mike Joyce over what sounds like a DFS advert. To be honest it’s one of the more entertaining endeavors on a revamp that actually makes Maladjusted even harder to bear, despite dispatching with the aforementioned ‘Roy’s Keane’. It's sort of like escaping a mugger only to step on a landmine. And then getting mugged.

Chief culprit is the astonishingly bad ‘This Is Not Your Country’, a one-time B-side which is roughly as useful a comment on The Troubles as Band Aid II was on world hunger. And it goes on for seven and a half bloody minutes. The whole record is appalling, turgid, over-orchestrated and self-absorbed in an entirely tedious way (Southpaw..., by contrast, must have the lowest occurrence of the first person singular on any Moz record). Now bloated to 15 tracks (the original only contained ten), and with a further original (‘Papa Jack’) excised, Morissey has almost totally reworked this record, yet actually made it worse. Hence the most impressive thing about Maladjusted is that it isn’t just the worst album of Morrissey’s career; it's the two worst albums.
"

lulz, you're all butt hurt.

I actually rather like the title track from Maladjusted and was happy to see it given new life in his live set. Alma Matters, the other song he plays from that era, is not one of my favorites, but it's inclusion in the setlist does not make me want to not see Morrissey.

As far as Southpaw goes, to my knowledge he's not playing anything from that album at the moment, but I could be wrong. I actually never understood the hatred for that album. While I can understand why people might not like Maladjusted or Kill Uncle (though both have strong tracks) Southpaw always seemed like a solid album. Morrissey's best? Probably not. At times his band seems to outshine him (like on Dangeham Dave) and in no way do I think it's a classic in the way Viva Hate or Vauxhal and I are, but it's a damn good alternative album. Besides, The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupil's contain some of Morrissey's best writing.

I really don't get the whining over the setlist. Obviously, it's not what I would have picked, but I bet you we could put every single Morrissey fan in a room and they'd each come up with totally different set lists. Ultimately, it's Moz's call and I respect the fact that he doesn't just play the "greatest hits" even if it means his setlist is at times...esoteric.

I also love Maladjusted and Southpaw.Trouble Loves Me and Lost which comes from that era in my opinion is one of Morrissey`s most beautiful songs.Southpaw is good because Morrissey went into a completely different direction.Southpaw is my favorite off of that album.

I don`t get the complaining about the setlist either.I would just be happy to be there.As hard as you try,I don`t think you could please everyone.I say just enjoy!

There are so many great songs from this period - Teachers, Reader, Boy Racer, Nobody Loves Us, Maladjusted, Trouble Loves Me, Edges, Lost, to name a few - why would I want to bury them?

The clear and only answer to the thread title is just NO !!!!

As many have stated before, there are so great songs like Alma, Boy Racer, Best friend, Do your best ..., Ammunition, Nobody loves us, Trouble loves me, etc etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom