Can u smell the burning animal flesh at Moz's fave LA hangout-Cat & Fiddle?

Theo

Remember how Morrissey got in the press for throwing a big tantrum at a music festival because he had to be around meat eaters?

It made many papers, for example:

Midway through the set, Morrissey said, "I can smell burning flesh and I hope to God it's human," as the smell of barbequed meat from nearby food stands wafted through the air. A few minutes later, the famous vegetarian walked off the stage in the middle of 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others'.

He returned shortly afterwards, saying, "The smell of burning animals is making me sick. I just couldn't bear it."

And:

Morrissey walked off the stage during his set at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival on Friday night because the smell of meat offended him.

Yet, when Morrissey was not trying to make the papers during a tour to promote his product, his big Los Angeles hangout was The Cat & Fiddle in Los Angeles.

Imagine my surprise when I went on their web site and looked at their menu.

menu_5_10.gif

They do have veggie burgers, but then so does Burger King. Of all the places in Los Angeles to choose as his hangout, he chose a place where he'd smell the burning flesh of animals? This was the place Southern Californian stalker fans would stake out, knowing that it wouldn't be long before Morrissey walked in again to hang out. Why wasn't his hang out a vegan restaurant? Looking at the menu of The Cat & Fiddle, it seems Morrissey may as well have chosen the local McDonald's as his hangout......

But, on tour, promoting an album, he wanted to make the papers. So he threw baby tantrums about smelling meat.

I'm calling you out, Morrissey. Explain yourself. Either you can't abide being in close proximity to meat and the cooking of meat, or you can. Anything to make the press, eh? I have long noticed that whenever you have products to promote, you pull some stunts to generate controversy and media stories. This is a call out post, Morrissey. You were perfectly happy to sit around all that cooking animal flesh at the Cat & Fiddle. Just look at that menu. Chrissie Hynde hangs out at vegan restaurants in Northeast Ohio. She even owns one. They have none in Los Angeles? Please. Are pop stars from the nice state of Ohio just more real?

Last edited:
Were they eating the lamb chops at the next table, Morrissey, when you sat in The Cat & Fiddle?

Little lamb/On a hill/Run fast if you can.....

I'm calling you out, Morrissey. Why'd you throw tantrums when you saw meat at the music festival (and a music festival is a place where a diversity of people are supposed to try and get along and be tolerant), but you sat with a smile around meat at the Cat & Fiddle? Oh, because throwing a fit at the festival would get you in the papers?

The Cat & Fiddle, a meat-cooking restaurant serving pigs and cows and so on, actually uses YOUR NAME on their web site to promote themselves, Morrissey.

The Cat and Fiddle Restaurant continues the Hollywood tradition…Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Morrissey, Christopher
Lloyd, Woody Harrelson, and their cohorts drift into the patio for refuge.

How did their steak smell, Morrissey?

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this; but for once in his life he's right about something.

I'm confused. Are you saying that he shouldn't eat at restaurants where they serve meat just because he doesn't eat meat himself? That would make life very difficult.

The reason he didn't want them serving meat at the venue is because he was PLAYING at the venue. He wouldn't have said anything about it had he not been the draw for the evening. It's like he was inviting people to come see him and then serving them meat against his will. It wasn't LIKE that, actually -- It WAS that. He didn't want to be a party to something unethical in his eyes.

Also, no, you can't really smell much meat at The Cat & Fiddle, come to think of it. It's not a grilly meaty place. They seem to really appeal to vegetarians. That menu might be a bit outdated too, because when I was there I felt like they had a lot more vegetarian options... I'm not sure.

Also? Even if it was just a publicity stunt, why not? It's a great way to get your cause noticed. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Last edited:
Scarlet! Dear, darling Scarlet!

Will you name three of Morrissey's flaws?

I ask the question.

Scarlet! Dear, darling Scarlet!

Will you name three of Morrissey's flaws?

I ask the question.

YES!

1. He's a very negative person, which is bad for him and the people around him. I know he suffers from depression (as do I), but that's no reason to look at things as negatively as he seems to.

2. I think that he says ugly things about people sometimes that he really has no business being so unpleasant towards -- at least while not explaining all that venom. I mean, Kylie? She's fluffy, but she doesn't deserve his vitriol, I don't think.

3. While open-minded about certain things that most others are not, he's also fairly judgmental about other things without having all the facts.

Bonus: He has dreadful taste in sunglasses. :)

It's strange to me that I'm constantly called out as being a sycophantic apologist for Morrissey when I've said all of these things and more right here on Solo for all to see. I calls it like I sees it.

I certainly agree with number two. I'll never forgive him for being cruel to Kate Bush. She is a perfect specimen!

That said, don't these three flaws carry their charms?

Look..I'm a lifelong veggie but even i am bored by this.It is the way it is..as long as you don't eat the "burning animal flesh" then quit while your ahead.

Theo, I know what you're getting at, but sitting in a restaurant for 45 minutes, especially one where you can't smell the meat very much, and having to sing (breathing more deeply and therefore ingesting the smell more) when it's very strong are two very different things. Also, the menu for TCAF is better veggie-wise than a lot of restaurants here: there seems to be quite a bit of variety on there, which is more than you can say for a lot of places.

YES!

1. He's a very negative person, which is bad for him and the people around him. I know he suffers from depression (as do I), but that's no reason to look at things as negatively as he seems to.

2. I think that he says ugly things about people sometimes that he really has no business being so unpleasant towards -- at least while not explaining all that venom. I mean, Kylie? She's fluffy, but she doesn't deserve his vitriol, I don't think.

3. While open-minded about certain things that most others are not, he's also fairly judgmental about other things without having all the facts.

Bonus: He has dreadful taste in sunglasses. :)

It's strange to me that I'm constantly called out as being a sycophantic apologist for Morrissey when I've said all of these things and more right here on Solo for all to see. I calls it like I sees it.

I definitely agree with numbers two and three. Number One, I know what you mean, but to say I agree completely would be hypocritical because I'm just as negative as he is most of the time (although I usually fool myself into thinking I'm being realistic). :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
I definitely agree with numbers two and three. Number One, I know what you mean, but to say I agree completely would be hypocritical because I'm just as negative as he is most of the time (although I usually fool myself into thinking I'm being realistic). :rolleyes: :D

Well... I can be rather negative myself, but he is sometimes just over-the-top negative in a way that makes me want to grab him by the lapels and shake him and remind him that he's making things worse, not better.

I adore him for so many other reasons that these little nitpicky things don't seem worth mentioning on a regular basis.

I think one look at the alcohol available would explain why Morrissey would find this place acceptable.

I mean, Boddingtons.

If I ever go to LA, that'll be my hang out.

Don't get the mac and cheese. It's basically fettucchini alfredo and it's gross. Get the rarebit. And a Boddington's. And go on Sunday evening, live jazz and less hipsters.

Don't get the mac and cheese. It's basically fettucchini alfredo and it's gross. Get the rarebit. And a Boddington's. And go on Sunday evening, live jazz and less hipsters.

They serve rarebit? Do they make it with Swiss cheese? I'll wager they do. f***in' swindlers.

They serve rarebit? Do they make it with Swiss cheese? I'll wager they do. f***in' swindlers.

I don't know what kind of cheese they use but it's a kind of cheese I've never had before and love so keep ordering because it's the only time I've had that type of cheese. And it's not swiss cheese, it looks like cheddar but isn't.

Back
Top Bottom