Can someone tell me Morrisseys thoughts on Jeff Buckley please

I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately, but I've noticed that Morrissey rarely ever mentions singers who are, let's say, "on par" with him in terms of lyrical skill or fanbase size/devotion. He has no problem going on about smaller acts like The Smoking Popes, Damien Dempsey, Kristeen Young and of course his boyhood heroes. But other than some offhanded negative remarks he never seems to weigh in on the likes of Pulp/Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave, Elvis Costello (who's only about 5 years older than Moz), Paul Weller (despite Jam cover). Perhaps Jeff Buckley falls into that category.

Morrissey tends to like people who like him (how else do you account for his approval of The Ordinary Boys and The Courteeners?), so if he was aware that Buckley was a fan he may well have had nice things to say about him. Obviously it would be nice if he liked Buckley for the fact that he was a fantastic singer and songwriter, but I'm not sure that Buckley's music or singing style would have been to his taste.

Back
Top Bottom