Can someone please explain to me?

everydayslikesunday

Please don't move this to marketplace, I've highlighted it for the collectors among us to discuss and no I am not the seller.

This is currently on sale on ebay. From PJLM it turns out to be bootleg:

"Japan CD [AVU-1513]
This is a bootleg compact disc. The American edition of the cd was packaged with a black obi with Japanese text to make it look like a Japanese import. The obi doesn't mention any record label."

Please tell me, why has someone taken the time to create a Japanese fake? I am confused :crazy:

I am not having a pop at the seller at all.

Also, can some one who reads Japanese, tell me what is written on the OBI?

Last edited:
I also believe its a bootleg. however on my visit to Japan last year, i purchased that album and others w/the same strip/info at a legitimate music shop. going around town to different shops i also saw the same obi strips for other srtists. who knows really?

I know a couple of Arctic Monkeys 'Japanese' singles are actually just the EU version with a (horizontal) obi strip added, eg Fluorescent Adolescent.

Is it possible that WMG is trying to offload some US copies into the Japanese market on the cheap?

[mbatey]

I know a couple of Arctic Monkeys 'Japanese' singles are actually just the EU version with a (horizontal) obi strip added, eg Fluorescent Adolescent.

Is it possible that WMG is trying to offload some US copies into the Japanese market on the cheap?

[mbatey]

Also, the Japanese cd + dvd combi for Years of Refusal is the EU version but with a Japanese OBI, so it's not uncommon. But clearly that is not the case with this cd. I actually like the look of it.

I can't find the thread (need to dash to work, will search and post the link later) which already discussed this particular bootleg.
Stephane already added the info at his site.

The band name in Japanese is written on obi.
Clearly this item is illegitimate because the record company name is not there.

Some bootleggers are so crafty and greedy, but we won't be fooled by them.

I might be. Just warning you, baby.

I edited my earlier post.

Stephane posted a thread a while ago about this particular bootleg in here

The band name ザ・スミス in Japanese is written on obi(in Japanese custom, we add・between first name and surname of non-Japanese person's name / after 'the' in order to distinguish an article and the following word).
Clearly this item is illegitimate because the record company name is not there.

Some bootleggers are so crafty and greedy, but we won't be fooled by them.

Stephane also posted the scan of obi of the original limited edition this thread which is legitimate.
I miraculously got a copy in late 1984 which is stored in my parents'.
The scan's letters are too small and unable to read some parts, but I'll do my best.

Circle in the top left:
Including the first press only limited edition The Smiths interview flexi

under ザ (The): NME 1983 Readers poll The Best Newcomer No.1
under・: High rank in British national chart

under ス(S): Third single NME No.24 / National chart position has been risen to No.17 from No.29

underミ(mi): An imaginative reason shines through underneath the simple rock'n'roll sound

under ス(ths): A long waited first album from the biggest hope in 25 years

Back
Top Bottom