Can anyone identify this Asian cd?

My Japanese is rusty (ahem), but I don't think this is Japanese... Can anyone recognize the language?

thanks!
Stephane

It's definitely Japanese - mostly Katakana - my daughter (who studies Japanese) says that the big writing says "Za Su-Mi-Su" - The Smiths. As for the rest of it...the first bit of the pink writing says "Indie Chart Number 1 Song".

P.

My wife said that what Uncleskinny said, plus it also says "Hand in Glove" and "This Charming Man", also something about it being their "debut". She couldn't read all the characters though.

Definitely a Japanese release. It said all those that others pointed out, and also it said it's a 11 song album from 1984. It's a reissue.

It's Japanese, but there's no mention of Tokuma Japan / Victor / WEA Japan, I assume it's a counterfeit CD.

Even low budget Japanese reissue CDs you find the catalogue number, retail price and the company name in obi.

Last edited:
Kewpie is correct. It could be a counterfeit masquarading as a Japanese release. The printing looks very sharp though. If it's a fake, it's very well made. One thing is for sure, the words are Japanese.

I saw this website on Japanese fakes. Have a read.

Link : http://www.minilps.net/fakes

it is a counterfeit japanese release. i have three of these releases. debut, rank, queen is dead.

the spine cat. info reads: AVU-1513 and so on, for the other 2 releases.

all 3 CDs and their artwork are US releases except for the obi strip and a japanese liner note inside that reads out the album title and tracklisting.

i believe i acquired these about 3-5 years ago.

Last edited:
If it's just a U.S. CD and artwork with Japanese obi and insert added in, it might be somewhat/quasi legal. Through the 90s many large CD retailers would sell both Japanese and import copies of the same CD, with the Japanese one nearly always the more expensive one. Many would therefore buy the cheaper import version, foregoing the Japanese extras like bonus tracks and/or liner notes.

Whether adding an obi and insert to an import crosses the line to illegality/counterfeit status, I'm not sure, but there are other cases of this. One that springs to mind is some of the Peel Sessions CDs made in Britain (with the grey sleeves). Some were imported to Japan and sold with a bright yellow wraparound obi and liner notes in Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom